Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Look up fake toughness in the dictionary and you’ll find a picture of...well, I don’t think I need to finish that sentence. We all know.
    Admittedly GGG's a popular guy, but not that popular (to be in dictionary).

false.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

True. Also, these offers are obviously made under the condition the staff will be here next year and that we have scholarships available. Doesn’t make sense not to do that. TW is also building a relationship with them in case he is somewhere else next year, which I don’t blame him for doing.
      Too many if's, if your a valued recruit. (Say 3* and above).

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

If we get to the NCAA tourney there won't be anything to argue about. If we get to the NCAA tourney, IB will be in the discussion for NCOY.
        Tourney selection is a s#!t show., And a bad way to judge a coach whose team is on the bubble. I have always wanted a slow decision on HC. But I see nothing but progress from individuals and the team this year. So I think it's almost time to get the contract ready for ink.

Comment

• Originally posted by washedup View Post
          I'm imagining Darren Boatright having his top dream candidate lined up & ready to go. But now what does he do?
          Depends on who his dream candidate is. There are definitely still coaches out there that you can hire instead of IB and not look like an idiot... .but it's very very small at this point.

Knowing Boatright, if his dream candidate is ready to go ... best course of action is sign up IB then Boatright resigns because he doesn't seem like the dream big type.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockersx View Post

I hope this post is 100% sarcasm and it’s just going over my head

Kevin freaking Ollie??? LMAO

This is the worst take on this situation I have seen. Just idiotic

please tell me this was a joke
            It’s not sarcasm but I do think it’s going over your head. Kevin Ollie looked like a star when he took over for Calhoun. He is exhibit A of unproven assistants becoming head coaches.

Again, I’m not saying IB isn’t on the list or even high on the list. I’m just saying it’s not automatic and WSU needs to be careful.
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I will accept the Kevin Ollie scenario.

National Championship would be worth it.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by washedup View Post
                I'm imagining Darren Boatright having his top dream candidate lined up & ready to go. But now what does he do?
                this

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Depends on who his dream candidate is. There are definitely still coaches out there that you can hire instead of IB and not look like an idiot... .but it's very very small at this point.

Knowing Boatright, if his dream candidate is ready to go ... best course of action is sign up IB then Boatright resigns because he doesn't seem like the dream big type.
                  If I want to judge if Issac Brown is the right coach to lead Wichita St, I dont think I want to be judging if Kevin Ollie was a good coach or not. These arent the same men, they have vastly different resumes. Its just pointless to draw these types of comparisons when nothing about the circumstances are similar besides being promoted from an assistant position. We can all find our favorite example of a successful or failure of a promoted assistant. I dont see any reason not to continue forward with Coach Brown based on what we have seen so far. He offers a bridge to the Marshall having worked under Gregg for the last 6 years. The only reason I see to move on is if there is a hall of fame coach ready to jump on board.

If you want to look at an example of a program that has had great success promoting assistants, take a look at Xavier. They hired Thad Matta with one year of prior head coaching experience. Then promoted Sean Miller with no prior head coaching experience, followed by Chris Mack, also with no prior head coaching experience and more of the same with current head coach Steele. Xavier is as good a comparison as I can think of for WSU, with them also making the jump from a mid-major league to a major conference in the past decade.

Comment

• I think Coach Brown has done a heck of a job, especially under the circumstances. The first few games we were playing with 8 players and that made practices a challenge. Losing by 3 to OSU and giving Missouri a battle. Beating Ole Miss at their place was a good win and winning nail bitters in the league topped off with the big Houston win. First place this deep into the season, who would have thought with all this team has gone through. If IB can get the recruits then he deserves his chance. The players play hard and seem to really respect him...

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

It’s not sarcasm but I do think it’s going over your head. Kevin Ollie looked like a star when he took over for Calhoun. He is exhibit A of unproven assistants becoming head coaches.

Again, I’m not saying IB isn’t on the list or even high on the list. I’m just saying it’s not automatic and WSU needs to be careful.
                      I think you need to look a little closer at Kevin Ollie. There’s a reason he’s been out of the game for 3 years.

Comment

• Kevin Ollie? The guy who won a natty? Yeah, if IB wins a natty and then bombs I wound be 1000% ok with that trajectory.

Comment

• I understand the “he just wins” argument but how many coin flips are we away from Isaac Brown not even being in the discussion for the permanent HC position? Brown is a decent candidate but is a fallback option, imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockersx View Post

I think you need to look a little closer at Kevin Ollie. There’s a reason he’s been out of the game for 3 years.
                            I'm not saying this because I'm against IB. But there is merit to what Shock is saying. Kevin Ollie wasn't the right guy, and now they have a great coach at UCONN.

Kevin Ollie was a Calhoun protege. He played 10 years in the NBA. He also was involved with the Calhoun era of success as an Asst. Coach, and then won a Natty his first year which was the year, the Shox got ripped off in Honolulu in 2012 (I think). He was Can't Miss coach with the fans and media. He recruited Alterique (McDonalds AA), and had other good recruits. After his National Championship in one year, and with his own recruits, things went in the ditch quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I'm not saying this because I'm against IB. But there is merit to what Shock is saying. Kevin Ollie wasn't the right guy, and now they have a great coach at UCONN.

Kevin Ollie was a Calhoun protege. He played 10 years in the NBA. He also was involved with the Calhoun era of success as an Asst. Coach, and then won a Natty his first year which was the year, the Shox got ripped off in Honolulu in 2012 (I think). He was Can't Miss coach with the fans and media. He recruited Alterique (McDonalds AA), and had other good recruits. After his National Championship in one year, and with his own recruits, things went in the ditch quickly.
                              If we’re talking about Ollie being proof that an assistant coach can slide over a seat and have great success as a head coach, I completely agree with that sentiment. But the way I read shock’s original post was that we should consider Kevin Ollie. Maybe that’s not what he meant, but that’s how I read it. And right now, I don’t think Kevin Ollie is a guy whose getting a lot of calls for obvious reasons. The idea of dumping Brown for Ollie right now would be laughable.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                                I understand the “he just wins” argument but how many coin flips are we away from Isaac Brown not even being in the discussion for the permanent HC position? Brown is a decent candidate but is a fallback option, imo.
                                The hottest well-established mid-major coach in the nation is Porter Moser. Has a F4, consistently at the top of his conference (a better conference than Jans has ever coached in). Or maybe a P5 coach with a recent Elite 8 becomes available. Bruce Weber might be looking this spring.

Wake Forest is in 13th place in their league with an overall record of 6-10, but WSU isn't likely to get Forbes (or any other lower-tier P5 coach) to come here.

It's easy to say Brown is a "fallback" - until you flesh that out with the obvious missing part. A "fallback" from what? Tubby Smith?

There's always Bob Richey, who was an assistant at Furman under Niko Medved. Richey became the head coach at Furman when Medved took the job at Drake in 2017, where he didn't last 4 years. A successful coach at Furman can make an upward move to Drake. Let that sink in for just a moment. Then add in that he couldn't succeed in the MVC and ended up at Colorado State.

With an interim University President and an athletic director whose days may be numbered, there may be fewer interested candidates than you might expect.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X