Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shockersx View Post

If we’re talking about Ollie being proof that an assistant coach can slide over a seat and have great success as a head coach, I completely agree with that sentiment. But the way I read shock’s original post was that we should consider Kevin Ollie. Maybe that’s not what he meant, but that’s how I read it. And right now, I don’t think Kevin Ollie is a guy whose getting a lot of calls for obvious reasons. The idea of dumping Brown for Ollie right now would be laughable.
    I’m talking about Ollie winning a natty and still being a complete failure.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Unless you think you can get a Matta/Beilein/Jans, I don't know how you don't give a 3-year contract to IHCIB. Both parties have **a lot** of leverage here. A very good deal could be worked out between them.
      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• We should hire Kevin Ollie.

Comment

• I always thought Ollie should have Kookla and Fran on his coaching staff.

Anyone under the age of, say 50, may have to Google it.

Comment

• I haven't said much on the IB coaching process. I understand all of the positives, but there have been things throughout the year that just struck me as not being ready. Two games in a row, the Shockers had multiple fouls to give at the end of the first half, didn't foul,and gave up buckets off of good looks. Second, much like some other coaches, the complete lack of recognition of two for one shot opportunities. Finally, the fact it took until the Houston game to get the rebounding mindset ingrained. I have come around to the first 2 are probably procedural with the entire coaching staff, and I will give him a break completely on those for this season. The final one, he has started the process, and the next few games will expose if it truly is a mind set that allows the Shockers to compete at a higher level, or was it a flash. Either way, progress is evident, players are competing, and there doesn't seem to be the drama. I always felt Turgeon was not good at the end of the game, but experience helped him when I could stomach watching him at other programs later in his career. (Stepping stone program.....) IHCIB, I anticipate, can make that change as well, and I believe sooner than later. Bird in the hand.... Optomistic.
            Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

Does Mike Cohen have a grandson?
              LOL, this is funny cuz his son is one of my best friends. Mike’s grandson is in college.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

You can't give a coach a 2-3 year contract ... It's 5 year minimum ... otherwise, yet again, he can't even say he will be under contract for the length of the time the recruits will be in school. The key is the buyout. You could give him a 50 year contract as long as the buyouts in the early years is manageable. (obviously not advocating for a 50 year .. just making a statement). I'd assume IB realizes if he gets the job he's getting it on potential and would be agreeable to a manageable buyout in exchange for a longer contract.
                I don't believe the 5 year contract to be as important, now, as it was. It appears players are going to be able to transfer fairly easily without having to sit out. If the current coach that he signed up with is not doing that well, the player may welcome a change. A coach doing well can also get 1-2 year extensions early like a rolling contract. Just saying that the door can swing both ways for a player and the coach he signed up with.

Comment

• Originally posted by The 'hut View Post
                  I haven't said much on the IB coaching process. I understand all of the positives, but there have been things throughout the year that just struck me as not being ready.

the fact it took until the Houston game to get the rebounding mindset ingrained........

The final one, he has started the process, and the next few games will expose if it truly is a mind set that allows the Shockers to compete at a higher level, or was it a flash.
                  This is right on. Rebounding has been my biggest concern (as you all know), and IB has talked about it all year but then excuses follow (not from him but by others close to the program) and nothing changed. This past game, I saw Mo, Dexter, and Trey go after rebounds that required effort and weren't coming right to them. I hadn't seen that kind of effort all year. Why? I don't know but I agree with you that some of us will be watching to see if the mindset has actually changed or if this was a one game deal.

Comment

• We were playing erratic with some highs, mostly mediocrity, and some serious lows last year too (thanks Erik?). It was right about this point of the season that a switch flipped. Hopefully that same switch flipped on this year too, because it's a very good time to start playing some of your best ball.
                    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• If our AD hires anybody ever again, with a 7 year revolving contract and a gazillion dollar buyout, we should storm the hill with pitchforks and torches.

Comment

• I'm not sure why Matta is getting much play on here. Everything I've read (and admittedly there hasn't been much recently) has indicated that the health issues that ended his coaching at Ohio State were unlikely to be resolved. If he's healthy, he would obviously be a great option and is still relatively young, but I'm not counting on him being a serious option.

I don't know what to think about Beilein at 68 years old. Aside from whether he would be interested in the WSU job, I don't know how long he plans on coaching (assuming he plans on returning to college coaching at all). While there are successful coaches in their 70s, it is not the norm and most that are coaching into their 70s have been at their current program for some time as opposed to recently starting up with a new program. While it could certainly work out, I don't think that it is as much of a no-risk proposition as it might appear if you just look at his overall success.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
                          I'm not sure why Matta is getting much play on here. Everything I've read (and admittedly there hasn't been much recently) has indicated that the health issues that ended his coaching at Ohio State were unlikely to be resolved. If he's healthy, he would obviously be a great option and is still relatively young, but I'm not counting on him being a serious option.

I don't know what to think about Beilein at 68 years old. Aside from whether he would be interested in the WSU job, I don't know how long he plans on coaching (assuming he plans on returning to college coaching at all). While there are successful coaches in their 70s, it is not the norm and most that are coaching into their 70s have been at their current program for some time as opposed to recently starting up with a new program. While it could certainly work out, I don't think that it is as much of a no-risk proposition as it might appear if you just look at his overall success.
                          gee, logic

Comment

• I don’t know if Beilein has plans of going into an administrative position after coaching, but that’s why I have thought it would be interesting to offer an AD/HC position.

He coaches for 3-5 years with a young Associate-Head Coach, transitions to HC job to him, then moves into the shaking hands and kissing babies role.

(Let it be known, I’m not completely unsold on the idea of IB being “the guy”, but I definitely am not ruling out other options either)

The Assman

Comment

• All of the most talked about candidates have reasons for and against hiring them, assuming they would be willing to take the job in the first place.

Matta - no brainer in terms of success in the B10 and age but the health issues are a big concern and age goes both ways. The younger they are the more likely they are to take another job, potentially. Of course that depends on the person and Matta, having coached in the B10, might just be happy to have huge success and retire at WSU.

Beilien - another no brainer who I think would guarantee success. Obviously his age is an issue in terms of how much longer he can coach but it’s also a plus because he’s unlikely to look for another job before retiring.

Jans - Despite some wanting to point to NMSU struggles this year, he has a long track record of success and is someone I think would be very likely to continue that success at WSU. Obviously the biggest issue is the incident at Bowling Green, which I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he’s learned from, but you know it will be relitigated if he is hired. It’s just the way things work in 2021. Is WSU willing to risk that kind of “controversy” so soon after the Marshall stuff?

Brown - It seems obvious to me that he can coach. Any hesitation with him is just the fear of the unknown. We’ve never seen him run a program year after year, hire assistants, reload after losing a good senior class and an NBA player. He’s been around one of the best for all of those things so he has that going but I understand why some would be hesitant to hand the reins to a first year coach.

Of course there may be other candidates and maybe not all of the guys mentioned above are interested.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                                I don’t know if Beilein has plans of going into an administrative position after coaching, but that’s why I have thought it would be interesting to offer an AD/HC position.

He coaches for 3-5 years with a young Associate-Head Coach, transitions to HC job to him,
                                so promote an assistant?

Comment

Working...
                                X