No announcement yet.

Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He has the guys balling. I think he has done a great job so far. Time will tell. I still say he gets the job if he wins 75 percent of the games.

Comment

• I am in no way an advocate of an immediate rush to judgement hire...8 games in is not a test. However, those who are adamant in dismissing his chances run several risks, not the least is overlooking a potential diamond. Why he has not pursued a top job before now is a fair question, but perhaps he has had a comfort feel.
      Steve Fisher was 44 when Michigan fired Bill Frieder, and was in no rush to find a lead job.... look what a good career would have been wasted if he was not given the chance.

Just saying.... keep an open mind!

Comment

• To what extent did HCIB play a role with recruiting under fHCGM?

Was he an integral part of recruiting or am I off base with this thought?

I want what’s best for the program and hope that whoever we get is from the Marshall coaching tree.

I recognize this may not be the case.

Go Shocks!
        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
          To what extent did HCIB play a role with recruiting under fHCGM?

Was he an integral part of recruiting or am I off base with this thought?

I want what’s best for the program and hope that whoever we get is from the Marshall coaching tree.

I recognize this may not be the case.

Go Shocks!
          I seem to remember him being credited with being the lead on quite a few recruits.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

This comes up occasionally, but anyone that doesn't think Eddie was a really good head coach doesn't understand the game. It certainly was a different time and place when he took the reigns in the mid 80s. And yes, Eddie cut his teeth here and was learning on the job how to be a head coach. And he had an awful lot of Carolina blue blood coursing through his veins. He needed some time at the helm before he got here for sure. And the expectations for community leadership and fund raising were nothing compared to today. Eddie also never embraced the culture here, and that did not endear him to the fan base (not that he particularly cared). But if he had been a coach elsewhere first, he would have been even better here. Still, 3 seasons, autobid, at large, NIT. Not bad. Now, leaving behind Cohen? Muy mal.
            He was a good coach as long as he didn't have to play with his own recruits. I believe that everywhere he went he started at the top of the slide and went down fast. He recruited really nice kids that were mediocre ballers.
            if I remember correctly, he was so worried about image at wsu, that he removed black uniforms. I don't think he was prejudice but he said black was an image of bad guys. Can you imagine someone saying that today?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jim Ratt View Post
              For the sake of continuity and stability in the BBall program, and to facilitate recruiting, Isaac Brown should be offered a multi-season contract NOW. This also takes into account the difficulty of suddenly taking over the program in this Covid-19 year; it wouldn't be fair to not give him more time to prove himself. Also, we should start looking to find space for Etienne's number over Koch Arena.
              Those are both nutty ideas. While Etienne has looked good, he is no where near hanging a jersey. Don't minimize that honor. Also IB doesn't have enough games as hc to fill up my finger counting. Only one of those against what I would consider a good team (missouri).
              that and you never know what coaches could become available between now and April. What if you court some fragile relationships, say a sampson/houston relationship was not to his liking? That's just an example though.
              Wait it out and see all aspects. Recruiting, player development, assistant retention, etc...
              But so far so good in my opinion.

Comment

• If Coach Brown could sign us a couple good bigs in the 6'-10 range, keep all or almost all of this years squad together for next year...finish in the Top-3 (AAC) this year while getting an at-large birth...then man...I think you gotta give him the reigns. Cause that future looks bright!!!
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

He was a good coach as long as he didn't have to play with his own recruits. I believe that everywhere he went he started at the top of the slide and went down fast. He recruited really nice kids that were mediocre ballers.
                  if I remember correctly, he was so worried about image at wsu, that he removed black uniforms. I don't think he was prejudice but he said black was an image of bad guys. Can you imagine someone saying that today?
                  Everywhere but South Carolina. He did build them up to back to back Dance appearances his 4th and 5th year (I believe that was the years), but the bottom fell out his last 3 years there and he gave up coaching.

Comment

• Ironic how one of the hottest Mid Major coaches is a 45 year old from Winthrop. Doesn’t have FHCGM’s resume at the same point in their careers, but he will be on some final lists of teams needing a coach at the end of the year.

Comment

• Brown's been coaching in a lot of good programs, and that was before he had the opportunity to join GGG's staff. It's why GGG picked him. He then showed he has some proven contacts just based upon who he picked up as an assistant coach (a Sweet 16 head coach).

I have a feeling he's going to show he can really coach this year, no matter where he ends up in the Fall of 2021. 6 years is a long time to learn under a coaching genius (I actually was going to say General, but...)
                      Last edited by ShockingButTrue; January 4, 2021, 02:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

I distinctly recall a coach's show where Fogler stated that recruiting was difficult because while at NC his biggest recruiting decision was whether to turn left or right out of the driveway.
                        Did he recruit Paul Gruffovich?

Comment

• Fogler spoke at my Fraternity dinner meeting before the 1986-87 season and he said one reason he took the WSU job because of prior Wichita recruits that they tried to get at UNC but failed. Greg Dreiling, Antoine Carr and Aubrey Sherrod come to mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                            Wait...” serious consideration “ if he won the league or elite 8”??? Seriously?????? Something 3G did once? With no real center?
                            pretty gracious of you...
                            If you would have taken notice, I was responding to someone who said that no matter what happens they wouldn't want him to have a shot because he had no previous head coaching experience. So yes, context is VERY important in this case.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                              If Coach Brown could sign us a couple good bigs in the 6'-10 range, keep all or almost all of this years squad together for next year...finish in the Top-3 (AAC) this year while getting an at-large birth...then man...I think you gotta give him the reigns. Cause that future looks bright!!!
                              All Brown needs is one solid recruit in the 6-10 range...a strong kid with good length, athleticism, and some smarts. Think that would pretty well set up the program at the 5 for several years to come. Only problem is that is the type of recruit almost every program is looking for.

Comment

• Yep.
                                FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X