No announcement yet.

Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Coach Brown were to end up winning 20 games in these conditions, you about have to give him the job; or find 13 kids to go with the new guy

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

I think there are quite a few. The challenge is sustained success.

-The guy who succeeded Fisher at SDSU
      -Roy Williams at KU and UNC
      -Bill Self at KU
      -Bruce Weber for a few years at Ill
      -Gary Thompson took WSU to a Final Four
      -Mike Davis took Indiana to a Final Four
      -Ollie at UConn
      -Matt Painter at SIU and the other guy who succeeded Painter
      -Frank Martin at KSU
      -maybe even Gregg Marshall at WSU. Durley and Hatch were key parts of the NIT victory. Maybe Aaron Ellis too? Was he a Turgeon recruit?

Yes, that list has lots of flaws. Some only succeeded for a bit.
      I was kind of thinking only of assistant coaches who were elevated at same place... but yeah, those are all good fodders for thought

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        If Coach Brown were to end up winning 20 games in these conditions, you about have to give him the job; or find 13 kids to go with the new guy
        20 games this year would mean at worst 17-3 in conference? Unless you are meaning including post season?

Comment

-Bill Self at KU
          -Ollie at UConn
          -Frank Martin at KSU
          -maybe even Gregg Marshall at WSU. Durley and Hatch were key parts of the NIT victory. Maybe Aaron Ellis too? Was he a Turgeon recruit?

Mark Few with Dan Monson’s players

Comment

-Bill Self at KU
            -Ollie at UConn
            -Frank Martin at KSU

Fogler with Smithson's, until they were gone 2 years later. Then the coach left too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Mark Few with Dan Monson’s players
              But Dan Monson didn’t really win with his own players.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

They THOUGHT Monson was great, until Few came along...
                historically, we might never have been exposed to TeddyRoosevelt without the death of McKinley

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

Not sure I totally understand. Monson was an assistant under Fitzgerald since 1988. Mark Few became an assistant in 1989. Monson became the head assistant in 1994. Since assistances do a lot of "heavy lifting" finding recruits, I would think that when Monson became head coach, there were at least some of his recruits in the program. As head coach, while he may not have done as much field recruiting, he did make the final decision on who was on the team. That would go for the first couple of years of Few as head coach as he had either Monson recruits or players that were "approved" by Monson.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way comparing Monson to Mark Few. Frankly, I'm not sure there are any head coaches during his time that compare to him. He had no P5 school to recruit to. No "blue blood" school or background to aid him. No assistants make as much or more money as he was as head coach. As much as I would also praise fHCGM and his win over Few in the Dance, he is no Mark Few. The man has NEVER missed a Dance in his head coaching career and +40% against Top 25 ranked teams career (19-10 over his last 6 years so far).

Comment

If Coach Brown were to end up winning 20 games in these conditions, you about have to give him the job; or find 13 kids to go with the new guy
                    Your expectations are unexplainable. You wanted to get rid of a coach who had a Head Coaching Record of 525 wins and 204 losses and automatically give it to an unproven coach who has never been a head coach except an Interim Coach who wins 20 game? As pointed out by someone else on here, we've been down that road before. I don't think that we know that our players would give up and leave that easily if a good, proven coach was brought in. Those players came because of a proven head coach who won 525 games.
                    Last edited by Shockm; December 25, 2020, 12:03 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Not sure I totally understand. Monson was an assistant under Fitzgerald since 1988. Mark Few became an assistant in 1989. Monson became the head assistant in 1994. Since assistances do a lot of "heavy lifting" finding recruits, I would think that when Monson became head coach, there were at least some of his recruits in the program. As head coach, while he may not have done as much field recruiting, he did make the final decision on who was on the team. That would go for the first couple of years of Few as head coach as he had either Monson recruits or players that were "approved" by Monson.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way comparing Monson to Mark Few. Frankly, I'm not sure there are any head coaches during his time that compare to him. He had no P5 school to recruit to. No "blue blood" school or background to aid him. No assistants make as much or more money as he was as head coach. As much as I would also praise fHCGM and his win over Few in the Dance, he is no Mark Few. The man has NEVER missed a Dance in his head coaching career and +40% against Top 25 ranked teams career (19-10 over his last 6 years so far).
                      Few did miss on FVV in the Pan-Am games. His eye for winning talent must have some problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Few did miss on FVV in the Pan-Am games. His eye for winning talent must have some problems.
                        Was that just Few's decision or a group decision? A lot of professional scouts also missed on Fred, so Few would have a whole lot of good company. All coaches should have so "few" sight problems.

Comment

That decision was purely political. Fred had made the team, then Turgeon got into Boyle's ear and had the Maryland point guard ends up on the team.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Was that just Few's decision or a group decision? A lot of professional scouts also missed on Fred, so Few would have a whole lot of good company. All coaches should have so "few" sight problems.
                            Trimble made the team instead of FVV and he wasn't drafted either. Few made that decision and it had nothing to do with NBA Coaches or scouts.

Comment

Your expectations are unexplainable. You wanted to get rid of a coach who had a Head Coaching Record of 525 wins and 204 losses and automatically give it to an unproven coach who has never been a head coach except an Interim Coach who wins 20 game? As pointed out by someone else on here, we've been down that road before. I don't think that we know that our players would give up and leave that easily if a good, proven coach was brought in. Those players came because of a proven head coach who won 525 games.
                              Wrong, I wanted to get rid of a guy who physically attacked others and answered to no one.

Comment

Wrong, I wanted to get rid of a guy who physically attacked others and answered to no one.
                                You still don’t know what happened for sure (few eye witnesses and what they really saw). You didn’t like him before that incident and refuse to see the inconsistencies of Shaq’s story from 2015 and his statements in 2018. I have concerns but I don’t claim to know what happened like you and a few others do and don’t think that the ending tells us anything for sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X