Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
    Here my take on it:
    Lets just say we have a top 3 finish in the AAC, IB would prolly win AAC coach of the year, and then we get a NCAA tourney birth, then we would have a very experience team coming back next season. I think you have no choice to give it to IB. If not, its going to look so bad from a national perspective. I also legit think you will be rebuilding again cuz I think half the team would transfer. I think you would legit have troubles finding a high profile hot coaching candidate.
    I think we can get IB at a pretty low salary rate and give him a few years to see how he does. If it doesn't work out then its not a financially burden to move on in 2 or 3 years.
    Or you give him and his assistants a fat bonus and a glowing recommendation and character reference and the first interview for the HC position. Then if he doesn’t get the HC job his first gig is a low level SEC/PAC12 or top mid major. Win win all around.
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      Besides the fact that IB is doing a heckuva job this season, there is also a financial aspect to consider. Marshall is commanding a sizeable chunk of money, presumably from the same donors who will be paying a majority of any future head coach's salary. I think it's going to be very difficult to also scrape together enough to make a splash hire.

Given those constraints, it seems to me there is a near-perfect storm brewing where WSU is seeing what Brown is capable of, and that he can be hired for what WSU will be capable of paying.
      WSU is capable of paying whatever they want to. It will just take the right hire.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

Does the Dutcher scenario undermine the "why was he an assistant for so long; is something wrong?" argument?
        So which is better; a multiyear assistant without HC experience who takes over and leads a team deep or an NBA assistant without HC experience? I know which I'd prefer.
        Yes, because IB wasn’t groomed for the position. Dutcher was HC in waiting for years.

If we are making a direct comparison, it would only work if GM was grooming a replacement. I’m not sure IB would have been that guy. I think Earl Grant would have come back as a head coach in waiting a la Jank in that scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Yes, because IB wasn’t groomed for the position. Dutcher was HC in waiting for years.

If we are making a direct comparison, it would only work if GM was grooming a replacement. I’m not sure IB would have been that guy. I think Earl Grant would have come back as a head coach in waiting a la Jank in that scenario.
          If 12 years in several programs and then 7 years working with Marshall is not being groomed to replace Marshall, then what would you consider being groomed to take over for Marshall?
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I am going to tell a story. This has zero effect on whether the rest of the season turns out good or whether I think IB should be our coach. I am telling it because it was eye opening to me of his abilities as an assistant.

When we played Detroit a few years ago there, I was fortunate enough to sit in on our practice the day before, in which IB had the scout for Detroit. I watched him use Zach Bush in the role of Juwan Howard Jr. where he trailed the play and shot threes from the top of the key. I watched him switch defenses like Detroit and run their press offense. The bad part about it was the walk ons and scout players were beating the regulars in the controlled scrimmage. I knew then we would struggle the next day, which we did. However, I think we learned enough from practice that allowed us to come from behind and win. That scout was perfect. He was so well prepared that he essentially had our walk-ons running their offense better than Detroit. I knew at that point how valuable he was and was damned glad to have him on staff.

Comment

• Jans makes $290k base.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Jans makes $290k base.
                $290,000
                Jans's current contract will run throughout the 2022 to 2023 season and pays him an annual base salary of $290,000 and a yearly retention bonus of $216,000. In three seasons at New Mexico State Jans has compiled an 83-17 record with three WAC regular-season titles and two WAC tournament titles.May 4, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
                  Here my take on it:
                  Lets just say we have a top 3 finish in the AAC, IB would prolly win AAC coach of the year, and then we get a NCAA tourney birth, then we would have a very experience team coming back next season. I think you have no choice to give it to IB. If not, its going to look so bad from a national perspective. I also legit think you will be rebuilding again cuz I think half the team would transfer. I think you would legit have troubles finding a high profile hot coaching candidate.
                  I think we can get IB at a pretty low salary rate and give him a few years to see how he does. If it doesn't work out then its not a financially burden to move on in 2 or 3 years.
                  Legit!

Comment

• Brown was known as the best at preparing scouts on other teams. Marshall even said as much. He also had a great reputation as a recruiter. I believe he had several opportunities to be a head coach. Look at his mentors attitude towards hopping jobs? Marshall always said that John Kress told him something to the effect of coach where you are happy and where they love you. Basically, be very selective about the head coaching job(s) you take.

I am very conflicted because I think Jans might still be my front runner. However, I sure am opening my eyes to IB and I hope he continues to make it very conflicting for me, because that means we continue to win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

If 12 years in several programs and then 7 years working with Marshall is not being groomed to replace Marshall, then what would you consider being groomed to take over for Marshall?
                      Yeah, I agree. What in the world does "grooming to take over" mean anyway?

Comment

• I have so many random thoughts. And where better to spew them than on an anonymous forum, ha. At first, when I watched this team, all I could see was raw talent and potential but the team felt sloppy and wasn't doing the basic things I'd grown to love in defense and rebounding. I blamed it on coaching, but I think I have to admit I just don't have a great basketball eye and I'm simply better off being a fan than couch coach. It's a random Thursday in the grand scheme of things, but I'm happy to feel as good about shocker basketball as I do today, I wouldn't have predicted that a few months ago.

Comment

• Chris Jans Plus

NMSU --782 Winning Percentage 83-27

NMSU--Three Times-- Jans was named the Don Haskins Coach)
                          Jans was named the Region XI Coach of the Year after guiding the Eagles to a 25-10 season
                          NJCAA Division II National Championship and Jans being named the National Coach of the Year.

Plus and Minus
                          Bowling Green Head Coach

Head Coach--at Small College, Juco, NCAA Div. 1 Levels
                          Asst. Coach -at all Levels

Isaac Brown
                          Interim Head Coach at Wichita State
                          Asst. Coach at Wichita State 2014-2020 (34-1 Season)
                          Asst. Coach at La Tech,

Ran out of time to research- Please add to it as you wish

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
                            I have so many random thoughts. And where better to spew them than on an anonymous forum, ha. At first, when I watched this team, all I could see was raw talent and potential but the team felt sloppy and wasn't doing the basic things I'd grown to love in defense and rebounding. I blamed it on coaching, but I think I have to admit I just don't have a great basketball eye and I'm simply better off being a fan than couch coach. It's a random Thursday in the grand scheme of things, but I'm happy to feel as good about shocker basketball as I do today, I wouldn't have predicted that a few months ago.
                            I don’t think there is anything wrong with your basketball eye. I agree there were things the team did early on that, if not corrected, would have resulted in a much different record than we have today.

My guess is it was a combination of Covid issues (new guys missing a ton of valuable practice, inability to go 5 on 5 etc), schedule issues (didn’t get valuable scrimmage or exhibition games) and working in a bunch of new guys. We “saw the sausage being made” in a sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Jans makes $290k base.
                              Good point, but there is a downside. With the year the Shox are having, and we hire Jans, IB is CERTAIN to get some great offers and he will get a decent HC job somewhere - and possibly take Etienne, Council, and Jackson with him.
                              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• I admit I came in a sceptic and stubbornly remained sceptical on this team and coach. I was thinking in light of covid, mass transfers and the overall dark cloud in wake of GM dismissal, it's just too high a hurdle to realistically overcome.

IB continues to prove me and my Vegas tickets dead wrong. He's put a little dent in my wallet which is fine because I'm becoming a believer (ever so slowly). If he wins AAC COY and goes dancing the job's his.

Comment

Working...
                                X