No announcement yet.

Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of the biggest issues smaller schools have in being competitive is money. Take Texas for the extreme wealthy and Texas State for the lesser.
    Texas could afford to pay a Nick Saban 7 or 8 million a year guaranteed, and Nick would earn that and more for Texas. Where as if Texas State paid him that amount, it would be a loss because they don't have the backing or fan base to profit from a Nick Saban.
    WSU is a very fortunate small university because of its fan base and a couple big donors.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      IF we hire Jans, I really hope we can keep IB and pay him $200k plus. We need to keep this team in tact.
      Both Jans and Forbes are close to and have been mentors of Greg Heiar. We can’t worry about Assistant Coaches. Jans also has a close contact to Lou Gudino. Heiar, Gudino, both have close ties to Chris Jans and Chris Jans has close ties to Greg Marshall who is close to Tyson Waterman. Bottom line is that Chris Jans and Forbes both have many contacts which equates to being in winning programs during their careers. We can’t foresee who the hires will be if they become head coaches at Wichita State.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        IF we hire Jans, I really hope we can keep IB and pay him $200k plus. We need to keep this team in tact.
        If WSU continues on its pace and has a good year this year ... IB will be a head coach ... If we aren't hiring him, he will be getting multiple offers elsewhere. I'd be very very surprised if we could retain him as an assistant unless this year goes off the rails

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

If WSU continues on its pace and has a good year this year ... IB will be a head coach ... If we aren't hiring him, he will be getting multiple offers elsewhere. I'd be very very surprised if we could retain him as an assistant unless this year goes off the rails
          I don't think this year is going to go off the rails. All the guys who were tearing up the tracks last year are gone.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

He will get low Div. 1 offers. Not high Div. 1 offers. Can he really lead a high major program? The jury will still be out. He’s only doing a portion of the job this year and I’m not sold on him doing a portion of a High Major basketball program yet. You’re too easy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

He will get low Div. 1 offers. Not high Div. 1 offers. Can he really lead a high major program? The jury will still be out. He’s only doing a portion of the job this year and I’m not sold on him doing a portion of a High Major basketball program yet. You’re too easy.
              He's leading a high major program right now ... He was a key recruiter in many if not all of the players on the team. I disagree that he will only get low major offers. if we have a good year and hire someone else ... He's going to get mid to upper tier job offers.

I believe some have set a bar that is impossible for HCIB to reach. I have a more realistic bar considering the circumstances. The higher he gets above that bar, the smaller the "acceptable" list of candidates gets that I see as worth hiring over him.

Comment

• If IB has success, I would doubt he would stay as an assistant to anybody. Unless you know something I don’t, Jans will not be WSU’s next head coach, I think they go elsewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by JEE View Post
                  If IB has success, I would doubt he would stay as an assistant to anybody. Unless you know something I don’t, Jans will not be WSU’s next head coach, I think they go elsewhere.
                  That would be like K-State not wanting to hire anybody in Bill Snyder's coaching tree the first time Snyder retired.

Comment

If IB has success, I would doubt he would stay as an assistant to anybody. Unless you know something I don’t, Jans will not be WSU’s next head coach, I think they go elsewhere.
                    ADDB will be making a huge mistake if Jans isn’t a candidate. He needs to get over himself and find what’s best for WSU. Making a great hire to replace Gregg Marshall will also help him.

Comment

Comment

We know something you don’t.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

So it's not ok to increase your worth and get the most you can for your work? Are we all supposed to just keep working the same job for the same company at whatever wage they want to pay?
                          that doesn't work out too well for most folks because most of us started at some meaningless job to get us through our younger years.
                          On the other side of it, do you pay full price for a anything when you can get it on sale for 1/2 price? I doubt it.
                          It’s called Aarghsian Economics. Thou shall not bargain for the value of your labor.

Comment

• A really good AD would help locate an appropriate HC position for IB as a good will gesture after replacing him with another coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post

It’s called Aarghsian Economics. Thou shall not bargain for the value of your labor.
                              The inability to see an opinion from any viewpoint other than your own is considered a sign of a lack of intelligence, but I won't hold that against you.

There is a difference between "we need to renegotiate my contract. I'm worth a lot more than I'm being paid" and "I've got an offer on the table, give me everything I want or I'm leaving". The first is working with your employer. The second is a threat to your employer. The first shows a commitment to your employer. The second shows disloyalty and a threat to your employer.

I worked several years in a hiring and firing capacity in one of Willard Garvey's businesses. According to his business philosophy, which I agreed with in this situation, if an employee under my watch had come to me and said, "I have another offer for more money, pay me more or I'm leaving", they would have been fired on the spot. Willard's theory was that if you think you have a problem with an employee, fire them. Now you know you have a problem and you know how to fix the problem.

Marshall was in a unique bargaining position, but that no mitigation clause in his contract is an attempt by Marshall to burn the house down if he ever got evicted. If he was fired, he was going to make sure the athletic department was strapped for cash and limit their ability to hire a proven successful coach. That's more evidence that Marshall had more loyalty to the $$$ than he had to WSU.

Comment

• Your assessment of my intelligence is more affirmation than I would ever need but you capped it off with your background which I have a lot more information about than you will ever know. In any case, if your getting $48,000 every two weeks for the next seven years, maybe I’ll listen to your stupid bullshit negotiating ideas. Otherwise keep spewing...

Comment

Working...
                                X