No announcement yet.

Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There will be players available in the spring. There always are. It probably will be a bit of a mad dash to fill scholarships, but that’s usually always the case. As long as we have a coach hired by April 1 or so, we’ll be just fine.
    78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
      There will be players available in the spring. There always are. It probably will be a bit of a mad dash to fill scholarships, but that’s usually always the case. As long as we have a coach hired by April 1 or so, we’ll be just fine.
      Exactly. See this years roster for proof...

You have several things at play: 1) Pandemic with extra eligibility for everyone (i.e. wasted year) 2) Interim coach making it difficult to get in to living rooms yet alone sign anyone 3) Middle of a basketball season with all focus on games and practices and making the tourney.

Also, just because nothing is being posted doesn't mean there isn't recruiting going on that we don't know about.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Dude View Post
        Has anyone else noticed that on the "Recruiting" topic that no one has posted a thing in a week? It is the middle of the season. Is next year lost in regards to Recruiting due to the coaching situation ,or a mad scramble as it was last spring?
        There is a recruiting dead period until April 15 ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

There is a recruiting dead period until April 15 ...

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...ded-di-council
          Wait... we can recruit DEAD people?! No wonder we haven't seen any new posts! Hold on. Sorry, I misinterpreted that.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

Wait... we can recruit DEAD people?! No wonder we haven't seen any new posts! Hold on. Sorry, I misinterpreted that.
            As far as I know I don't think you can recruit dead people, but have heard dead people can absolutely vote. Lol
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• How effective is pulling players immediately after mistakes during games and how much has the lack of bye games this year affected the coaches ability to do so?

The coaching staff has had to walk a fine line between winning games and sending a message regarding mistakes on the court.

In normal years we have 5-7 games against inferior competition in which the coaches can provide immediate feedback without worrying about losing the game.

We've had only two such games this year and they were unplanned. Due to the shortened season every game on our schedule seems more important this year, almost must win.

Comment

• First of all, I'm glad we are winning, and that is the most important thing. Even if we aren't winning while playing our best basketball, winning is our goal.

I hesitate to bring this up again, because a good number of people on here are committed to Coach Brown getting this job, particularly if we are in the top 3 of our conference, and they may get sore at me again, and think that I'm being unfair to IB which isn't my intention.

However, we hear again and again from different people that we are no longer an after thought as a program. As a good number of people on this board have mentioned, We are considered by many to be a Top 40 basketball program, and therefore, we need to see what other coaches out there are interested, and not lock ourselves in. IMO, Coach Brown (who is a great Asst. Coach), needs to be a can't miss coaching prospect, unless the other candidates that are interested are of a low caliber.

This is a quote from Dana Ford, but it emphasizes that we are a highly respected program. Many of our fans still consider us to be inferior and this isn't true.

“It wasn’t anything that Fred did or said that made me nervous he would de-commit, but at the time, I just thought to myself how long can you keep a kid this good committed to a mid-major school, which Wichita State was at the time, when blueblood programs were trying to get him.”

The right fit is so important. We need a blue collar type, who emphasizes defense, and rebounding, has a "winning reputation", and is aggressive in recruiting, and other things imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                  First of all, I'm glad we are winning, and that is the most important thing. Even if we aren't winning while playing our best basketball, winning is our goal.

I hesitate to bring this up again, because a good number of people on here are committed to Coach Brown getting this job, particularly if we are in the top 3 of our conference, and they may get sore at me again, and think that I'm being unfair to IB which isn't my intention.

However, we hear again and again from different people that we are no longer an after thought as a program. As a good number of people on this board have mentioned, We are considered by many to be a Top 40 basketball program, and therefore, we need to see what other coaches out there are interested, and not lock ourselves in. IMO, Coach Brown (who is a great Asst. Coach), needs to be a can't miss coaching prospect, unless the other candidates that are interested are of a low caliber.

This is a quote from Dana Ford, but it emphasizes that we are a highly respected program. Many of our fans still consider us to be inferior and this isn't true.

“It wasn’t anything that Fred did or said that made me nervous he would de-commit, but at the time, I just thought to myself how long can you keep a kid this good committed to a mid-major school, which Wichita State was at the time, when blueblood programs were trying to get him.”

The right fit is so important. We need a blue collar type, who emphasizes defense, and rebounding, has a "winning reputation", and is aggressive in recruiting, and other things imo.
                  I think you’re right. We’ve overlooked the guy who was an assistant then became a HC to get the experience to lead our program (instead of IB, cause he’s only been an assistant). Dana Ford for HC!! /s

Comment

• Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post
                    I think you’re right. We’ve overlooked the guy who was an assistant then became a HC to get the experience to lead our program (instead of IB, cause he’s only been an assistant). Dana Ford for HC!! /s
                    Yes. He's a winner as a Head Coach, and this isn't even considering that his Principal Mentor is Dan Muller from Illinois State. They are tearing up the Valley. LOL
                    Tennessee State (Ohio Valley Conference) (2014–2018)
                    2014–15 Tennessee State 5–26 2–14 6th (East)
                    2015–16 Tennessee State 20–11 11–5 T–2nd (East) CIT First Round
                    2016–17 Tennessee State 17–13 8–8 T–4th (East)
                    2017–18 Tennessee State 15–15 10–8 T–5th
                    Tennessee State: 57–65 (.467) 31–35 (.470)
                    Missouri State (Missouri Valley Conference) (2018–present)
                    2018–19 Missouri State 16–16 10–8 T–3rd
                    2019–20 Missouri State 16–17 9–9 T–6th
                    2020–21 Missouri State 9–5 5–5
                    Missouri State: 41–38 (.519) 24–22 (.522)
                    Total: 98–103 (.488)

Comment

First of all, I'm glad we are winning, and that is the most important thing. Even if we aren't winning while playing our best basketball, winning is our goal.

I don’t disagree with the basic tenor of your post EXCEPT where you say “ a number of posters are committed to Coach Brown being the coach”... I think it should read “ a number of posters are committed to the possibility that Coach Brown MIGHT be the best choice, and to not automatically dismiss his name out of hand”....at least that’s what I think....

Comment

• First of all, I'm glad we are winning, and that is the most important thing. Even if we aren't winning while playing our best basketball, winning is our goal.

I hesitate to bring this up again, because a a number of posters are committed to the possibility that Coach Brown MIGHT be the best choice, particularly if we are in the top 3 of our conference, and they may get sore at me again, and think that I'm being unfair to IB which isn't my intention.

I often don't use the best words, so I inserted yours in place of my original post. If that makes others happier, great

Comment

I hesitate to bring this up again, because a a number of posters are committed to the possibility that Coach Brown MIGHT be the best choice, particularly if we are in the top 3 of our conference, and they may get sore at me again, and think that I'm being unfair to IB which isn't my intention.

I often don't use the best words, so I inserted yours in place of my original post. If that makes others happier, great
                          No big deal... understand your heart for the Shockers... have a great day!!!

Comment

• Link to Feb 5 article mentioned in tweet - https://thesunflower.com/54396/sport...aching-search/

It’s no secret that the men’s basketball team’s search for its next head coach will be a pivotal one in the future of the program. Wichita State Director of Athletics Darron Boatright discussed the looming coaching search including Interim Head Coach Isaac Brown’s performance, the player’s impact on the decision and what he’s looking for in a candidate.
                            Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• I’ll keep repeating it. Why is Darron Boatright still employed?
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                I’ll keep repeating it. Why is Darron Boatright still employed?
                                Who is going to fire him? Interim President Muma? That's a joke. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X