Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
    WuDrWu , I know he played for Gene in his last year as a junior, then for Folger his senior year. However, he missed a year in between, but I don't remember the cause. Do you, or anyone, remember?
    Hurt his back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

One of the guys got seriously undercut in one of the last few games of the season, breaking his leg. Was that lew?
      That was John Cooper in Hawaii.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

One of the guys got seriously undercut in one of the last few games of the season, breaking his leg. Was that lew?
        I believe they was John Cooper... happened against Tennessee at a game in Hawaii.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Lew had a major back issue. Caused him to miss an entire season.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

That's right, I guess it's true, memory is the second thing to go....thx

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Against the Vols and Alan Houston I might add. Same year we beat 2 ranked teams in the same week. Losing Cooper hurt that team really bad. He was averaging 20 pts a game.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Against the Vols and Alan Houston I might add. Same year we beat 2 ranked teams in the same week. Losing Cooper hurt that team really bad. He was averaging 20 pts a game.
                Yep. We had a good season going until Coop got hurt.

Comment

• Anybody else getting the feeling that it ain't gonna be Jans or Brown?

Comment

• I always thought that pinstripers. If Jans or Brown are the best candidates WSU can get at this time, then the job and the basketball program is not as good as I think it is. That is nothing personal against either person. I don't know either one of them.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                      Anybody else getting the feeling that it ain't gonna be Jans or Brown?
                      well the Texans hired David Culley, so nothing would surprise me

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                        Anybody else getting the feeling that it ain't gonna be Jans or Brown?
                        Not really but then I don’t have much of a feeling either way. Still a month of season left at least for WSU and close to two months for the NCAA so it’s really too soon to say.

I continue to believe we should consider all options and make the best choice available (duh). Whether that ends up being Brown, Jans, or someone else...time will tell.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan View Post
                          I always thought that pinstripers. If Jans or Brown are the best candidates WSU can get at this time, then the job and the basketball program is not as good as I think it is. That is nothing personal against either person. I don't know either one of them.
                          Honestly curious who the other better options are. I’m not really in touch with coaching landscape.

Comment

• athletic directors always keep a list of coaches that they would call.. with that said, these fellas in addition to IB would be on my list (in no particular order):

casey alexander, belmont
                            chris jans, new mexico state
                            craig smith, utah state
                            thad matta, not currently coaching
                            travis steele, xavier
                            wes miller, unc greensboro
                            fred hoiberg, nebraska

Comment

• Abdullah has some good names. I would add names like:
                              John Beilein- Not coaching,
                              Rick Stansbury- Western Kentucky
                              Dino Gaudio- Louisville

There are probably others interested if the WSU job is better than when WSU hired Marshall. If it is not better than when WSU hired Marshall,
                              then Brown or Jans would be great hires.

Comment

• If you want to look at experienced mid-major coaches who have succeeded beyond expectations, then Porter Moser would be high on that list.

I hope that makes it clear why you don't really want to do that.

Another example would be Jacobsen at UNI. He looked like he should be going to a high major a few years ago. Now he looks like a pretty average mid-major coach. McDermott and Weber are more examples of highly successful mid-major coaches who couldn't succeed at higher level programs. Both have had recent success, but not at their first high-major job.

There are examples of high-level assistants being successful as high-level coaches. There are examples of high-level assistants failing as head coaches at the high major level.

Maybe a coach who got a S16 at a mid-major program? Jim Les did that.

There is no magic formula for hiring a new coach, unless there's an established, successul high major coach availabvle.
                                Last edited by Aargh; February 9, 2021, 09:51 AM.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X