Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You’re comparing one day’s worth of games and basing that on a coaching hire?

Genius.
    If you really want to go there, I'll play along.

There's the argument about coaches only winning with the previous coach's players. Jans did well with the players in the program when he got there. He drastically improved the wins with those players. That looks really good, but keep going and another coach in that league dominates him.

So, do you hire the guy who's 3-3 on the season and 0-2 in conference or do you go after the guys who's 12-3 overall and 6-0 in the conference?

I've got to add that Bryce Drew is doing that with the previous coach's players.

An argument can be made that IB is doing better "at this level" than Jans is doing "at that level". This is not going to be an easy hiring decision.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Aargh;n1277236]

There's the argument about coaches only winning with the previous coach's players. Jans did well with the players in the program when he got there. He drastically improved the wins with those players. That looks really good, but keep going and another coach in that league dominates him.

So, do you hire the guy who's 3-3 on the season and 0-2 in conference or do you go after the guys who's 12-3 overall and 6-0 in the conference?

I've got to add that Bryce Drew is doing that with the previous coach's players.

An argument can be made that IB is doing better "at this level" than Jans is doing "at that level". This is not going to be an easy hiring decision.[/QUOTE

Jans.

Comment

• It’s January 31, and NMSU has played exactly six games due to weird circumstances beyond anyone’s control. I take a grain of salt with any talk of how Chris and his Aggies have “struggled” this season.
        78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

An argument can be made that IB is doing better "at this level" than Jans is doing "at that level". This is not going to be an easy hiring decision.
          You played wrong.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• [QUOTE=Ashockalypse;n1277238]
            Originally posted by Aargh View Post

An argument can be made that IB is doing better "at this level" than Jans is doing "at that level". This is not going to be an easy hiring decision.[/QUOTE

Jans.
            In the short time Brown has been our Interim Head Coach, he has scratched the surface on what it takes to run a program full time as a Head Coach and the decisions that have to be made. Hiring Assistant Coaches who can help effectively, Closing the deal on Recruits, Handling problems that exist on any level, Handling Big Money Supporters, Handling the ups and downs of the program, he is just learning how to handle the ups and downs of player attitudes, etc. etc. etc. etc. I doubt that any of us have any idea what a Head Coach handles on a day to day basis, year after year, to continue a program at a high level.

Jans has done this for a good number of years successfully, and still is learning. Brown hasn't but is learning.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

That definitely is a thing, but not always. Jans inherited five returning players his first year, and only two of Weir's recruits honored their commitment to NMSU the first year -- that's just under half a roster you can attribute to Weir.

Returned
              ---
              Eli Chuha
              Jemerrio Jones
              Sidy Ndir
              Johnathon Wilkins
              Joe Garza

Recruited by Weir
              ---
              A.J. Harris
              Gabe Hadley

By the second year? A grand total of TWO of Weir's players and/or recruits were left.

Returned
              ---
              Eli Chuha
              A.J. Harris

Jans had essentially a complete turnover by his second year.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You’re comparing one day’s worth of games and basing that on a coaching hire?

Genius.
                You’re so arrogant, you can’t even see through your own argument. If you’d open your eyes, you’re making the same argument, using the opposite perspective. Nice job, genius. And, don’t forget, I am the FAD, remember.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

That definitely is a thing, but not always. Jans inherited five returning players his first year, and only two of Weir's recruits honored their commitment to NMSU the first year -- that's just under half a roster you can attribute to Weir.

Returned
                  ---
                  Eli Chuha
                  Jemerrio Jones
                  Sidy Ndir
                  Johnathon Wilkins
                  Joe Garza

Recruited by Weir
                  ---
                  A.J. Harris
                  Gabe Hadley

By the second year? A grand total of TWO of Weir's players and/or recruits were left.

Returned
                  ---
                  Eli Chuha
                  A.J. Harris

Jans had essentially a complete turnover by his second year.
                  You just gave the forum a lesson in calling out factual missteps.

Comment

• Dan Dackich made an interesting point the other night when he said that it is easier to chew a player’s ass with corrective measures, in today’s environment, after a win. I agree with him. Whoever is the coach next year needs to have that dialogue in his bag of tricks.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                      Dan Dackich made an interesting point the other night when he said that it is easier to chew a player’s ass with corrective measures, in today’s environment, after a win. I agree with him. Whoever is the coach next year needs to have that dialogue in his bag of tricks.
                      of course that is true

Comment

• This is Isaac Brown’s first head coaching job so there are things like recruiting and maintaining the program that he’s not done yet. That can’t be held against him. At the same time, it’s understandable to be hesitant to hand the job to doesn’t have that track record like Jans, even if it is through no fault of his team own.

It’s also important to consider that he’s been around a hall of fame coach the last 7 years. So, although he himself hasn’t been responsible for the program, he’s watched one of the best do it firsthand.

It’s ridiculous to weight the three games of this year more heavily than the entirety of Chris Jans’ career.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post
                          You’re so arrogant, you can’t even see through your own argument. If you’d open your eyes, you’re making the same argument, using the opposite perspective. Nice job, genius. And, don’t forget, I am the FAD, remember.
                          LMAO at the 2 jilted likes
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Let me say, IHCIB has done an amazing job this year. He was put into a very difficult situation and has done admirably. However, I feel that making him the head coach would be a HUGE mistake for this program and one that would take years to overcome.

I'm sure we have many Chiefs fans on this board and I relate our current situation to the Chiefs in 2011. They had a head coach in Todd Haley who the players did not like. He was not a players coach and according to many, he was a "total jackass". The Chiefs fired him with 3 games to play in the season and made Romeo Crennel the interim HC for the remainder of the season. Crennel was a longtime successful assistant coach. Romeo was a players coach who was nice to everyone. In the final 3 games of that season, the Chiefs went 2-1 including a defeat of the undefeated Packers in Week 14. They played hard for him because they liked him. After the season, most people thought he had done enough to earn the Head Coaching position after those 3 games and he was hired. In 2012, the next year, after he went 2-14, he was fired.

To me, the 2 situations are very similar. IHCIB replaced a coach who many of the players did not like. He was tough on them and never showed them much love. IB was a breath of fresh air to these players and it showed on the court. They knew they could go out and make a mistake and not immediately go to the bench and be yelled at. They played freely and it was obvious to everyone they were having a good time. However, the last couple of games, you have started to see a few discouraging signs. The shot selection at times is awful and the players aren't held accountable. As we all know, the defensive intensity and rebounding is nothing like we are accustomed too. This will haunt us throughout the rest of this season.

If IHCIB becomes the HC after the season, I see things getting progressively worse in the 2021-22 season and beyond. The players will know that they will have no accountability and continue to take advantage of the nice guy HC. IHCIB has been successful so far for a couple reasons. One of the main reasons that people don't give enough credit to is he was left with a very talented team. I believe any of our current assistants would have the same record if they had been given the job. Another reason is the weakness of the AAC this year. You have one great team, a couple awful teams, and a bunch of average to above average teams.

This is currently a top 40 job in America. There are going to be some GREAT candidates that will come after this job that have been successful leading programs. It is SO important that we make the right hire. Our program is still in a very good situation and the right hire will only continue that without missing a beat.

Comment

• JANS!

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X