Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    If you want to look at experienced mid-major coaches who have succeeded beyond expectations, then Porter Moser would be high on that list.

I hope that makes it clear why you don't really want to do that.

Another example would be Jacobsen at UNI. He looked like he should be going to a high major a few years ago. Now he looks like a pretty average mid-major coach. McDermott and Weber are more examples of highly successful mid-major coaches who couldn't succeed at higher level programs. Both have had recent success, but not at their first high-major job.

There are examples of high-level assistants being successful as high-level coaches. There are examples of high-level assistants failing as head coaches at the high major level.

Maybe a coach who got a S16 at a mid-major program? Jim Les did that.

there is not magic for,mula for hiring a new coach, unless there's an established, successul high major coach availabvle.
    Rick Pitino?

Comment

• UK might drop to 5-13.

Could they do something as crazy as firing HCJC?
      The Assman

Comment

• Not even UK is that stupid.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Against the Vols and Alan Houston I might add. Same year we beat 2 ranked teams in the same week. Losing Cooper hurt that team really bad. He was averaging 20 pts a game.
          Man, if you guys do this from memory, I am impressed! But I did remember it was a huge blow to the season. But I thought it was late in the season for some reason.

Comment

• There are a couple of intriguing possibilities out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
              UK might drop to 5-13.

Could they do something as crazy as firing HCJC?
              I believe he actually has "lifetime" contract. Which is a 10 year 86 million dollar contract with the guarantee of an athletic department job after he retires. There is also no mitigated buyout. Soooo since he's 2 years into that contract he would still be owed like 70 million ....

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Man, if you guys do this from memory, I am impressed! But I did remember it was a huge blow to the season. But I thought it was late in the season for some reason.
                Straight from the memory banks my friend. I was a certified "Basketball Junkie" back in the day.

I seem to recall is was like ONE game beyond the allowable red-shirt limit (8 games?). Possibly the 9th game? NCAA wasn't going to do the Shocks any favors.

Comment

Straight from the memory banks my friend. I was a certified "Basketball Junkie" back in the day.

I seem to recall is was like ONE game beyond the allowable red-shirt limit (8 games?). Possibly the 9th game? NCAA wasn't going to do the Shocks any favors.
                  I remember Mike Kennedy going bonkers on the radio, wanting the guy that undercut him banned from basketball (or close to it).

Comment

The record book has Coop at 8 games for his senior year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

The record book has Coop at 8 games for his senior year.
                      the same year we beat Alabama with Latrell Sprewell

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

“Big Shot” Rob Horry had to have been on that team too.

I would have only been a tot at time, so I wouldn’t remember seeing it in person or not, unfortunately for me.
                        The Assman

Comment

Horry was on that Tide squad.

And Leonard Hamilton's ranked Oklahoma St. team was the other ranked opponent that week. Possibly Byron Houston was a frosh (going by memory)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

“Big Shot” Rob Horry had to have been on that team too.

I would have only been a tot at time, so I wouldn’t remember seeing it in person or not, unfortunately for me.
                            yes, both guys were on that team. I was in my 2nd year at WSU. We were shocked at how well we started out.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Horry was on that Tide squad.

And Leonard Hamilton's ranked Oklahoma St. team was the other ranked opponent that week. Possibly Byron Houston was a frosh (going by memory)?
                              Yes, Horry was. Sprewell, however, was not a starter on that team and played 17 minutes.

Houston scored 24 for Okie St.

While those 2 wins looked good, we had our bad moments prior to Coop going down. Lost to Georgia by 31, then lost to Dartmouth. Games were in Virginia.

https://goshockers.com/sports/2015/6...tatistics.aspx Go here and find the year you want to look at. The box scores get get fewer and fewer as one goes back.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Yes, Horry was. Sprewell, however, was not a starter on that team and played 17 minutes.

Houston scored 24 for Okie St.

While those 2 wins looked good, we had our bad moments prior to Coop going down. Lost to Georgia by 31, then lost to Dartmouth. Games were in Virginia.

https://goshockers.com/sports/2015/6...tatistics.aspx Go here and find the year you want to look at. The box scores get get fewer and fewer as one goes back.
                                But, if memory serves, we did end up winning the Vols game? Possibly a Wichita favorite, D. Phelps, came to town with LaPhonso Ellis that same year (and lost)?

Everything after that went straight downhill. For years...

Comment

Working...
                                X