Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by David Rahm View Post
    I never cease to be amazed by WSU fans.
    For the last decade, we have had one of the 10 best programs in the USA.
    We have been to 8 Big Dances, and would likely have gone last year.

We are one of five teams in the country to have won 22 games nine years in a row.

We have a good strength of schedule (look at many of the other teams in the tourney, including Drake and Loyola).

Yet we are always anguished about getting in to the Dance, and grateful when we do.

I am not, I think it is a bunch of bull*** that every year we go through this same agony.

We are a nationally-recognized powerhouse based in RESULTS.

In the last few years, we have beat Gonzaga, KU, Indiana and many other "name" schools. Indiana twice.
    We have beat the teams (big and little, power conferences, famous name schools) put in front of us and done very well in the Big Dance over the last decade.

Schools like Kentucky are automatically considered for the tournement unless they have such a crappy season that it can in no way be justified.
    Even now at 6-13 some are arguing that they can still get in!
    Same with KU, Gonzaga, North Carolina, Texas, Indiana, Duke, etc.

WE HAVE EARNED AND SHOULD GET THE SAME RESPECT.

So all of you can worry and be grateful when we barely sqeek in.

I think it is a bunch of crap. Even Memphis is always assumed to be, in the dance over the last few years because only of their recruiting, and then they flame out almost every year.
    But they get the benefit of the doubt WSU simply NEVER gets.

Even middle of the road Power Conference teams get this same benefit of the doubt, look at their schedules!
    Well, our schedule is pretty damn tough too, and look what we have done for the past decade.

I EXPECT to be in the Tournament. We DESERVE to be in the tournmant.

Don't even get me started on Wright State, St. Louis, BYU, UC Santa Barbara, and best of all, mighty Colgate.

Bah!
    David, I get the feeling you're holding back and not letting your true feelings known. It'll eat you up inside, brother. Come on, let it out. Tell us what you think!

Comment

• To quote Mr Parrish, "You can take those computer numbers and shove them straight up your a$$". This was in response to comparing Shocker numbers to Colorado. Believes we belong more than others ranked higher in the analytics. Worth a listen.

Comment

• I love that podcast.

Comment

• Excellent podcast.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Rahm View Post
            I never cease to be amazed by WSU fans.
            For the last decade, we have had one of the 10 best programs in the USA.
            We have been to 8 Big Dances, and would likely have gone last year.

We are one of five teams in the country to have won 22 games nine years in a row.

We have a good strength of schedule (look at many of the other teams in the tourney, including Drake and Loyola).

Yet we are always anguished about getting in to the Dance, and grateful when we do.

I am not, I think it is a bunch of bull*** that every year we go through this same agony.

We are a nationally-recognized powerhouse based in RESULTS.

In the last few years, we have beat Gonzaga, KU, Indiana and many other "name" schools. Indiana twice.
            We have beat the teams (big and little, power conferences, famous name schools) put in front of us and done very well in the Big Dance over the last decade.

Schools like Kentucky are automatically considered for the tournement unless they have such a crappy season that it can in no way be justified.
            Even now at 6-13 some are arguing that they can still get in!
            Same with KU, Gonzaga, North Carolina, Texas, Indiana, Duke, etc.

WE HAVE EARNED AND SHOULD GET THE SAME RESPECT.

So all of you can worry and be grateful when we barely sqeek in.

I think it is a bunch of crap. Even Memphis is always assumed to be, in the dance over the last few years because only of their recruiting, and then they flame out almost every year.
            But they get the benefit of the doubt WSU simply NEVER gets.

Even middle of the road Power Conference teams get this same benefit of the doubt, look at their schedules!
            Well, our schedule is pretty damn tough too, and look what we have done for the past decade.

I EXPECT to be in the Tournament. We DESERVE to be in the tournmant.

Don't even get me started on Wright State, St. Louis, BYU, UC Santa Barbara, and best of all, mighty Colgate.

Bah!
            Totally agree. I get so sick and tired of this double standard that is applied to WSU. Thats why I say this Net, BPI mathematical bullsht is just another way for some of those clowns to justify their weak decisions. The shocks reputation for success over the past 10 years is not treated on the same level as other schools.. For example I heard just before the season started this year that the Shocks had a down year last season with a record of 23-8. WTF Yet some schools with the same record were considered a success. Don't tell me that there is not a double standard. Go Shocks.

Comment

• Yep. Total double standard. It's bullshit and we all know it. Lame to the 9th degree. BUT...just win Baby!!!

Go Shocks!!!
              FINAL FOURS:
              1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
              1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
              Number of Times Ranked: 157
              Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
              Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
              Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
              #3 - Dec. 2017
              #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
              #2 ~ March 2014
              Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                To quote Mr Parrish, "You can take those computer numbers and shove them straight up your a$$". This was in response to comparing Shocker numbers to Colorado. Believes we belong more than others ranked higher in the analytics. Worth a listen.

Will be the first time I’ve listened to them in a while but hopefully they can avoid the political crap.
                "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Ok, now I’m pissed. In Taylor’s article he mentions we are outside of the bubble due to a “2-4 record against top 75 teams.”

Now THAT is some goal post moving bullshit.

Let’s scrap the Q1/Q2 system (where we’re 2-2 in both Q1 and Q2 games) when it suits us and find a way to manipulate the numbers to make teams look bad if we want.

Then again this is coming from bracketologists so whatever.

If that’s really how the committee is going to look at this then I think the league really is making a poor decision to not reschedule our game with Memphis at all costs.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                    Ok, now I’m pissed. In Taylor’s article he mentions we are outside of the bubble due to a “2-4 record against top 75 teams.”

Now THAT is some goal post moving bullshit.

Let’s scrap the Q1/Q2 system (where we’re 2-2 in both Q1 and Q2 games) when it suits us and find a way to manipulate the numbers to make teams look bad if we want.

Then again this is coming from bracketologists so whatever.

If that’s really how the committee is going to look at this then I think the league really is making a poor decision to not reschedule our game with Memphis at all costs.
                    Really agree with your last comment...

Comment

• Will the committee even look at “games lost to Covid”? And what impact those lost games had on a teams schedule?

Comment

• Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                        Will the committee even look at “games lost to Covid”? And what impact those lost games had on a teams schedule?
                        Depends on the team...

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Depends on the team...
                          100%. And we've had a team ("name") for quite a while now!!! Shocks keep winning...and selection committee will look at games lost to covid. 100%
                          FINAL FOURS:
                          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                          Number of Times Ranked: 157
                          Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                          Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                          Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                          #3 - Dec. 2017
                          #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                          #2 ~ March 2014
                          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• According to Kenpom, Clemson and Louisville have a similar Luck factor to ours.

Kenpom Luck
                            ---
                            Wichita 0.167 (6th luckiest in nation)
                            Clemson 0.162 (5th in nation)
                            Louisville 0.147 (7th in nation)

Kenpom Rank
                            ---
                            Wichita: 75
                            Clemson: 37
                            Louisville: 46

Sagarin Rank
                            ---
                            Wichita: 67
                            Clemson: 30
                            Louisville: 31

The simple subtractions below are oversimplified, but you can take these deltas and average them and get a sense for how much the lack factor penalizes Kenpom top 75 teams:

[(75-67) + (37-30) + (46-31)] / 3 = 10 spots

The question is, are Clemson, Louisville and/or Wichita State really lucky? Or did Kenpom preseason expected values just miss the mark for these programs?
                            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              According to Kenpom, Clemson and Louisville have a similar Luck factor to ours.

Kenpom Luck
                              ---
                              Wichita 0.167 (6th luckiest in nation)
                              Clemson 0.162 (5th in nation)
                              Louisville 0.147 (7th in nation)

Kenpom Rank
                              ---
                              Wichita: 75
                              Clemson: 37
                              Louisville: 46

Sagarin Rank
                              ---
                              Wichita: 67
                              Clemson: 30
                              Louisville: 31

The simple subtractions below are oversimplified, but you can take these deltas and average them and get a sense for how much the lack factor penalizes Kenpom top 75 teams:

[(75-67) + (37-30) + (46-31)] / 3 = 10 spots

The question is, are Clemson, Louisville and/or Wichita State really lucky? Or did Kenpom preseason expected values just miss the mark for these programs?
                              We are lucky, look here. https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team...+St.&year=2021

Look at the AdjO and AdjD for some of these games. There is too many games that were way closer than they should've been for a tournament team.

Comment

• Moral of the story: No mercy and run up the score if possible. Apparently just winning isn’t enough. Reminds me of the BCS.

Comment

Working...
                                X