2020-21 Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    As to recruiting rankings (drops), they can have an impact on recruiting as a whole. Kids see the numbers. Coaches see the numbers. If you're pulling in top 50, 100, 150 kids, it catches eyes of those players and coaches and can help open more doors.

Numbers aren't everything by any means, but they do play a part and can have an impact.
    Sorry, I don’t buy it. It’s a minimal impact at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Sorry, I don’t buy it. It’s a minimal impact at best.
      I agree. It's just one of many arrows in a coaching staff's recruiting quiver. On-court results, coach/program/player fit, conference prestige, surely all have a greater impact than how a recruit was ranked when committed. The player isn't limited to what the so-called "experts" are putting out, but also the very important narrative communicated by the coaches.

Comment

• Recruiting numbers can have a huge impact. Not for the blue bloods, but everyone else. If you are a 3* point guard, will you go to a school that just signed a 4* point? Probably not. It's also better to have a high overall recruiting class but appear relatively weak in the position the recruit plays. The burger boys go wherever, the rest go where they think they will get to play on a winning team.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          As to recruiting rankings (drops), they can have an impact on recruiting as a whole. Kids see the numbers. Coaches see the numbers. If you're pulling in top 50, 100, 150 kids, it catches eyes of those players and coaches and can help open more doors.

Numbers aren't everything by any means, but they do play a part and can have an impact.
          There are two sides to every coin. There are only 60 draft picks per year in the NBA and if you aren't in the top 30....good luck. I believe that a recruit/family would look hard at programs and coaches who take lower ranked recruits and turn them into pros in the NBA and other leagues. I believe that Top 100-200 kids probably realize that an NBA program is a possibility but not a probability. They want to find a school that overachieves with their athletes. Its an incredibly short resume but HCIB so far has overachieved. His appeal to the 100-200 ranked kids is probably very high. As that resume blossoms, the higher ranked recruits will take notice.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

I agree. It's just one of many arrows in a coaching staff's recruiting quiver. On-court results, coach/program/player fit, conference prestige, surely all have a greater impact than how a recruit was ranked when committed. The player isn't limited to what the so-called "experts" are putting out, but also the very important narrative communicated by the coaches.
            I don't totally disagree with you about the athlete is a big factor in the results, not just recruiting rankings. But it's also difficult to argue with the fact that kids look at recruiting class rankings, and the rankings can help a program recruit athletes. I think that there is a middle ground. Don't belittle either side.

Comment

Working...
            X