No announcement yet.

2020-21 Bracketology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One thing to keep in mind is the AAC championship game is one of the last ones played. If we are in that game I feel pretty confident they would already have us seeded somewhere pretty strong (10 seed-ish) and if we lost to Memphis someone else would get bumped out of the play-in game. If we lost to Houston nothing would change.
    You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
      One thing to keep in mind is the AAC championship game is one of the last ones played. If we are in that game I feel pretty confident they would already have us seeded somewhere pretty strong (10 seed-ish) and if we lost to Memphis someone else would get bumped out of the play-in game. If we lost to Houston nothing would change.
      I think it comes down to if you think our resume is good enough to get us in today.

Assuming we win Saturday and then our side of the bracket goes chalk to the championship, we would have two additional Q3 wins (USF, Game 1 of tourney) and then most likely an additional Q2 win (SMU).

The two Q3 wins won’t move the needle and a win over SMU then loss to Memphis would take us from 2-2 Q2 to 3-3 Q2. Pretty much exactly where we stand today.

Is 2-3 vs Q1 (assuming a finals loss to Houston) and 3-2 Q2 (assuming a semis win over SMU) that much different than 2-2 Q1, 3-3 Q2?

Comment

• But we would have a Championship over Houston under our belts.

Comment

• Anyone have a run down of who we should be rooting for in the conference tourneys this weekend? I’m guessing Loyola in the Valley. Thanks for doing all the hard work, it is appreciated!

Comment

• Drake is not going to have Hemphill back for Arch Madness. I think it's likely they go down before Sunday, which would effectively burst their bubble.

Comment

• Interesting discussion. I assume that if the Shocks don't take care of business on USF on Saturday that the scenario for the Shocks gets much simpler. Win the AAC Tournament or enjoy a return trip to Dallas for the NIT.

Comment

• If we win the next 3 games, we will be in.

Comment

• Up to Kenpom's 4th luckiest team in the country! WHEW glad we got soooo lucky to beat Tulane!
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• I wonder if KenPom saw Taylor’s data on WSU being the unluckiest COVID team of P7 conferences?

Maybe that’s what’s keeping them out of the #1 spot! Ha
                    The Assman

Comment

• wichita state is getting no love. what's up with that?

kelvin sampson was right: AAC is underrated.

Comment

• When KenPom's metrics don't work (because they're maybe not as accurate as he would like us to think), he just puts in a "luck" factor, and then his projections are magically fixed and are right again.

KenPom's job isn't to produce accurate metrics. His job is to convince subscribers that he produces accurate metrics.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Two years ago, a few of the metric authors (Ken Pomeroy and others) met with the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee that seeds teams to interview them and pick their brains. partially because the committee (Jim Schaus was on the Committee) wanted to do a better job of selecting at large teams and seeding them. I remember Pomeroy saying that they shouldn’t use his rankings to rank and select teams for their tournament. It was like his numbers should be used as snapshots but not without discernment. Within a year, they came up with the BPI, and then NET but refused to be transparent about how they came up with the metric numbers. This unique Covid year is exposing even more the flaws in their system.

Comment

• BPI is an ESPN thing, not NCAA.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                              BPI is an ESPN thing, not NCAA.
                              Yes. It was a metric that ESPN developed about the same time to improve the perceived weaknesses of the RPI. Wasn’t that also the time that the Q1, Q2, etc system was instituted?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                When KenPom's metrics don't work (because they're maybe not as accurate as he would like us to think), he just puts in a "luck" factor, and then his projections are magically fixed and are right again.

KenPom's job isn't to produce accurate metrics. His job is to convince subscribers that he produces accurate metrics.
                                His ratings literally set the spreads for games.

Comment

Working...
                                X