2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

You mean big head disease? LOL.o try and get a layup. JB could find that mid range 10-15 ft shot and was actually pretty good at it. Takes a lot of reps to be able to hit those shots because the mechanism/release of the shot is a bit different than a long range 3ball.

But JB is not without his faults. He was actually kind of limited athletically in his ability to finish at the rim. Maybe that's just my perception. How do Tekele and JB compare physically? Don't imagine there's much difference, but Tekele was FAMOUS for his finishes at the rim. And he could shoot the 3 a bit. The game has changed enough that while the mid range is an important part of play, it favors long range shooters and drivers/finishers and drivers/dishers. While the Shocks were capable of hitting long range, they weren't exactly proficient at it as they probably could have been, because they were so limited in the driver/finisher/disher play. Lots of standing around on the perimeter hoping to be open for a shot. We had very few players running hard cuts on the baseline looking for open shots off baseline screens. Not that we had anyone that was capable of keeping their head up long enough to be able to make a decent pass to said player. Or maybe the offense was run how the staff wanted...I don't know what the answer is, but thought the Shox won a fair number of games given their liabilities offensively. Looking forward to next season, too.
    I don't disagree with anything you said here. However, JB was no Tekele Cotton from an athletic sense. Additionally, JB thought he was a point guard and he wasn't. He was a guard who had multiple skills and could do a little bit of everything. But he wasn't the hub of a team but a player who compliments everything a team does. The main difference between Tekele and JB was that Tekele didn't need to be the straw that stirs the drink. He was willing to be a part of a "winning team". JB, it seems, wanted to be the straw that stirred the drink and he wasn't that good and he will find that out wherever he decides to go. I think that JB got consumed with Grant Sherfield, who hadn't proven himself either. They both wanted to be the "straw' that stirred the drink. JB wasn't that answer and we will never know if Grant was. While his ceiling was higher, he didn't prove himself either. In a way, this year was a lost year from both of these players stand points.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I don't disagree with anything you said here. However, JB was no Tekele Cotton from an athletic sense. Additionally, JB thought he was a point guard and he wasn't. He was a guard who had multiple skills and could do a little bit of everything. But he wasn't the hub of a team but a player who compliments everything a team does. The main difference between Tekele and JB was that Tekele didn't need to be the straw that stirs the drink. He was willing to be a part of a "winning team". JB, it seems, wanted to be the straw that stirred the drink and he wasn't that good and he will find that out wherever he decides to go. I think that JB got consumed with Grant Sherfield, who hadn't proven himself either. They both wanted to be the "straw' that stirred the drink. JB wasn't that answer and we will never know if Grant was. While his ceiling was higher, he didn't prove himself either. In a way, this year was a lost year from both of these players stand points.
      Agreed. And I still miss that "Tekele" kind of player.

Comment

• Here's a possible progression I see.

The PG's couldn't execute the offense the way it was intended --> The offense was stagnant --> A lot of bad shots were taken late in the shot clock --> Marshall held some players accountable in ways those players found offensive --> Players who couldn't, or wouldn't, run the offense left the program, plus a few others.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• So if JB left because he didn’t like sacrificing PG minutes to Sherfield, why the heck did Sherfield leave? Have we even discussed his transfer or do we not care?

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            Here's a possible progression I see.

The PG's couldn't execute the offense the way it was intended --> The offense was stagnant --> A lot of bad shots were taken late in the shot clock --> Marshall held some players accountable in ways those players found offensive --> Players who couldn't, or wouldn't, run the offense left the program, plus a few others.
            we recruited players who could not fit the offense that we had already decided that we were going to run.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              So if JB left because he didn’t like sacrificing PG minutes to Sherfield, why the heck did Sherfield leave? Have we even discussed his transfer or do we not care?
              Sherfield had too much ME in him as well.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Sherfield had too much ME in him as well.
                This!

Sherfield had dreams of being an NBA PG. Unfortunately, he doesn't possess many PG skills. Dribbling back and forth for 10 seconds 28' away from the basket, and not being able to get a single defender out of position and not being able to get his own shot off probably got him some major ass chewing.

I always thought Sherfield was attempting to be a "shoot first" PG trying to get an open look from 3 off the dribble. He was absolutely unable to do that.
                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

This!

Sherfield had dreams of being an NBA PG. Unfortunately, he doesn't possess many PG skills. Dribbling back and forth for 10 seconds 28' away from the basket, and not being able to get a single defender out of position and not being able to get his own shot off probably got him some major ass chewing.

I always thought Sherfield was attempting to be a "shoot first" PG trying to get an open look from 3 off the dribble. He was absolutely unable to do that.
                  Sherfield definitely was not as good as the hype, I just wonder if he left because he didn’t like getting his ass chewed or did he leave because he didn’t think he was getting enough minutes. He has a lot to work on to be a good D1 PG, let alone NBA.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Sherfield definitely was not as good as the hype, I just wonder if he left because he didn’t like getting his ass chewed or did he leave because he didn’t think he was getting enough minutes. He has a lot to work on to be a good D1 PG, let alone NBA.
                    I'm not sure I'm buying that everyone quit the program. My money is on that most were shown the door and coach stood back to see if they would walk thru it. Let's face it, 3G saw the same things as fans for the past 2 years..... worst in the country in scoring and "me" attitudes spreading like cancer. That, along with seeing that our current roster just didnt have what it takes to really compete for a championship. Coach is probably the most competitive person any of us have ever met. With that in mind, don't think it's a reach he would do whatever it takes to win, even if he loses half the team? I don't recall, in either of the interviews 3G has had recently, him saying he was going to start being a more caring and gentler coach based on all the departures this year. Only that he had to basically learn from the experience. Personally I think he will be changing the type of person he recruits and not his coaching style.

ok, ok... I'll stop rambling.

Comment

• After seeing After seeing some of the comments that Burton’s mom and sister made on social media, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t about losing playing time to Sherfield and is more about playing for a coach that won’t hurt his feelings. It’s too bad because I think he’ll find out pretty quick that it’s going to happen from time to time with any coach that likes to win. I’d be really surprised if he ends up playing for Tech because coach Beard seems like he’s cut from the same cloth as 3G.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        After seeing After seeing some of the comments that Burton’s mom and sister made on social media, I’m pretty sure it wasn’t about losing playing time to Sherfield and is more about playing for a coach that won’t hurt his feelings. It’s too bad because I think he’ll find out pretty quick that it’s going to happen from time to time with any coach that likes to win. I’d be really surprised if he ends up playing for Tech because coach Beard seems like he’s cut from the same cloth as 3G.
                        And let's make it clear: It was about losing time to Sherfield and NOT about losing playing time. He played more than anyone on the team. This was a ME thing instead of making sure it was a TEAM thing. If later on, he couldn't beat out Sherfield at the point as well as not beat out others at the 3 or 2 for playing time, so be it. It's a team sport. Best players who make up the best team are the ones who play the most. He tried to spin it to being a tempo thing. Maybe so, I hope so, and I hope he does well and will happy. However, I picked up a few different things from the fam and him after he left.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

And let's make it clear: It was about losing time to Sherfield and NOT about losing playing time. He played more than anyone on the team. This was a ME thing instead of making sure it was a TEAM thing. If later on, he couldn't beat out Sherfield at the point as well as not beat out others at the 3 or 2 for playing time, so be it. It's a team sport. Best players who make up the best team are the ones who play the most. He tried to spin it to being a tempo thing. Maybe so, I hope so, and I hope he does well and will happy. However, I picked up a few different things from the fam and him after he left.
                          It’s really unfortunate too because when it was about the team, it really showcased his versatility. He was one of my favorites and I wish him nothing but the best as well. Hopefully he’ll learn to see the forest for the trees.

Comment

• I'm sure coach is probably a very caring and friendly coach....

If you do as he says and aren't a vagina.
                            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Anything but waivers for everyone (not just WSU but all schools everywhere) starting this year would now surprise me very much. I believe it's just a matter of a couple of weeks.

Hope all these kids find what they are looking for and what they need.....even if those two things don't currently intersect.

Comment

• "All Kids Go To The NBA." Apprantly that's the new book kids are reading. These young D-1 players need to realize there are only about 450 NBA roster spots available with thousands of D-1 athletes competing for a spot. You may have potential and wind up getting drafted in the list of 60 every year...but instead of transferring all over the place...first try developing your game under a proven D-1 coach to grow and maximize your talent to help get you there!!! Unless you are a shoe-in Kentucky or Duke player...stop quitting and wanting to transfer to greener grass. It simply doesn't come that easy. You gotta grow up and work for it!
                                FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X