2020-21 Annual "Transfer" Guess-a-thon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
    Me too. I'm guessing that conversations were had between 3G and Mo about transferring before he entered the portal.
    It’s been reported that 3G didn’t really have the chance to have his “end of season” chat he normally conducts with his players so I don’t know that he and Morris had any kind of face-to-face conversation that could have been constructive/instructive for both parties. But I’ll speculate and guess that Gregg has recently most certainly offered his honest opinion to Morris about where he fits into the future rotation and direction of next year’s roster.

The fact that he hasn’t committed to any of those programs (SDSU, Butler in particular) proves that he is not their first, or maybe even 2nd or 3rd, choice and perhaps they are advising him that he might be better off practicing his “mea culpa” speech and invest in a hat so he is better prepared to go to Coach Marshall with hat in hand and “request” a spot on his roster.

I honestly don’t know how I feel about this. On one hand, I thought he was showing signs of improvement (won’t belabor what others have already pointed out regarding more improvement) and would be getting even more playing time. On the other, the dude made a (rash) decision to flee what some in the national media characterize as a sinking ship.

One interesting factor in all these transfers is that many of them were recruited by assistants who are no longer here, with the notable exception of ES who was recruited by the man himself. So I can only imagine how 3G is approaching all future recruits.

Regardless, if Morris ends up wearing our yellow and black next season, I will be a tad bit surprised but will root especially hard for his success.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
      One one hand, it be nice to come back.

On the other, I don’t think it’s a good idea to start letting people leave to find a better offer only to come crawling back.

Time will tell.
      Under normal circumstances I would agree but I think this year was far from normal (obviously). I wonder how many of these guys would have left if the season had played out the entire way and all of the normal meetings and procedures took place.

Comment

• If Coach can use him, I’d be fine with him coming back. I think he can get better. If coach wants to go elsewhere, fine as well. No ill will to Mo.

Comment

• I wonder how much Morris' decision is dependent on Dex's decision
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Shoxthemonkey View Post
            Me too. I'm guessing that conversations were had between 3G and Mo about transferring before he entered the portal. I hoping Marshall told him " Go ahead and look but you'll find that the teams that offer won't be as good for you as where you are right now".

Does anybody know how common it is for a player to enter the portal and then return?
            Not common at all

Comment

• I am torn on this. On one hand the team could use the depth with him coming off the bench, but at the same time it might be a dangerous precedent to send. I kind of feel like if you decide to go that's your decision and you move on.

Comment

• His playing time wouldn't change a great deal. Maybe he'd play a few more minutes, and if he was a better free throw shooter, he could play at the end of close games. However, we would always need a rim protector to share time with Mo. With more time, Poor Bear may prove to be the better player of the two, so I'm not sold that him coming back is a good idea. However, something has gotten in the way of Poor Bear getting more minutes, and we'd just be speculating as to the reason for it. As for Mo, maybe he's been in contact with Dexter. Just a thought.

Comment

• At the point that he left, there were 4 centers signed for next year (Udeze, Asbjorn, Poor Bear, and Josephat) and the message board was assuming that the starting center was not yet on the team.

At this point, he hasn't been recruited over and Asbjorn transferred. Plus, who knows what Josephat's best position will be.

He could see a path to more minutes now than when he made the decision to leave, under the assumption that is why he was leaving. All speculation of course.

Comment

• Maybe look at this as free agency. Other teams/coaches could not contact him because that is a no no. So by entering the portal he was just testing the waters? Doing so and not finding a better fit would really leave yourself open to not having a place to come back to and or eating a lot of crow.

Comment

• Personally, I like the attitude Mo plays with. He is just mean. He was a 20 yo Sophomore this year. He could be a monster when he turns 22. He is better than Lufile was at this point, and look how good he turned out to be his senior year. Give Mo a SR point and a burgeoning Ettienne and I think we will see a much improved player.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                        Personally, I like the attitude Mo plays with. He is just mean. He was a 20 yo Sophomore this year. He could be a monster when he turns 22. He is better than Lufile was at this point, and look how good he turned out to be his senior year. Give Mo a SR point and a burgeoning Ettienne and I think we will see a much improved player.
                        I like Mo. I just don't think he is a Center who will lead you to a S16, E8, or F4. IMO he has a good place on a team and will give successful minutes and could be one of two successful Centers with him playing a little lesser role but he's not the ONE to build around.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                          I wonder how much Morris' decision is dependent on Dex's decision
                          download.jpeg-4.jpg

Did Mo get snookered?
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• I wonder how much ES was in his ear and if that led to a hasty decision. Could be but who knows.

Comment

• Mo needs to be able to knock down FTs at a 70% rate and get some range out to about 10’. If he can do that, he can become another Carl Hall, which is not bad at all. Oh, and stop fouling so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                Mo needs to be able to knock down FTs at a 70% rate and get some range out to about 10’. If he can do that, he can become another Carl Hall, which is not bad at all. Oh, and stop fouling so much.
                                Carl Hall never hit those FT numbers. He was 66.5 career at WSU. 64.6 his junior year, 67.7 his senior year.

That being said, Mo is a career 46% FT shooter so I’m not sure an improvement to even Carl Hall levels is realistic let alone 70%.

Also, one thing that struck me about Hall while rewatching the F4 run was his mobility and athleticism. He was much quicker on his feet and more athletic than I remember and was really good shot blocker.

I think the comparison makes sense but I’m not convinced that Mo has the potential to ever be as good as Carl. But then Carl was really good.

Comment

Working...
                                X