No announcement yet.

South Carolina fires Darrin Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In addition to that, Lynn is from Washington, not Rock Hill or anywhere near 2500 miles from Rock Hill. So they're trying to tell me Lynn's parents moved from Washington to Rock Hill....then decided to stay when Lynn moved to the 316?

Home is where the heart is. Home for Gregg and Lynn is RIGHT HERE. It may change, that's always a possibility, but this is home.

And Kellen is a freshman this year. Lot's of facts that need to be checked over there from their "insiders".

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
      If/when we have to replace Marshall (it won't be this year), I think we should give Manning a look if he's interested in the job. Guy has some recruiting skills.
      He coaches at Kansas, no kidding he can recruit.

This is what I'm talking about. He will get here and it's a totally different ball game. You are sold on him even though he has never called a timeout because he has recruited some 5 stars to a top 5 program of all time? come on!

Comment

• I was talking with my wife about the Manning deal. I have been told by someone close to the athletic department that Manning has stated again this year that he would love to come to Wichita if Marshall should move on. Pretty sure he did this last year as well. So it's no secret he would like to coach here.

Here is what you have to ask yourself. Should we hire someone that is strictly looking at moving on as soon as possible and using WSU strictly as a springboard? Or should we hire someone who, like Marshall when he came here, wanted to focus on winning championships and hanging banners?

Sure, maybe Manning comes here and gets us some big time recruits. Maybe he ends up being an GREAT x and o's coach. Perhaps he keeps this ball rolling and we reach new heights as a program. BUT I think he would be a Cuonzo Martin or Matt Painter and bolt at the first opportunity. To me I would rather try and find another Gregg Marshall who just wants to win championships and get to the tournament and isn't just looking for the next big job. I realize that chances are good coaches will always move on if/when they feel the time is right. But I don't know if I would want to go with a Manning type of a coach. Just my opinion.

Regardless we have a coach. So this point is moot ;)
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• I would take Jans or Coop over Manning. I haven't really put together my own personal list of coaches because I'm not worried about him leaving for SC. @AndShock: wants the guy from Coastal Carolina. I think he's about 80
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
            I was talking with my wife about the Manning deal. I have been told by someone close to the athletic department that Manning has stated again this year that he would love to come to Wichita if Marshall should move on. Pretty sure he did this last year as well. So it's no secret he would like to coach here.

Here is what you have to ask yourself. Should we hire someone that is strictly looking at moving on as soon as possible and using WSU strictly as a springboard? Or should we hire someone who, like Marshall when he came here, wanted to focus on winning championships and hanging banners?

Sure, maybe Manning comes here and gets us some big time recruits. Maybe he ends up being an GREAT x and o's coach. Perhaps he keeps this ball rolling and we reach new heights as a program. BUT I think he would be a Cuonzo Martin or Matt Painter and bolt at the first opportunity. To me I would rather try and find another Gregg Marshall who just wants to win championships and get to the tournament and isn't just looking for the next big job. I realize that chances are good coaches will always move on if/when they feel the time is right. But I don't know if I would want to go with a Manning type of a coach. Just my opinion.

Regardless we have a coach. So this point is moot ;)
            or an Eddie Fogler.

Eddie was a good coach and we had success under him. Same for MT, but you have to ask yourself, what did they leave behind? I think most fans believe that GM isn't going anywhere this year. And that would be a very good thing, especially if he leaves next year or the year after. Next year, the cupboards would be full. This year, likely empty from all of the no-shows. Manning is intriguing, but to me he would be another Eddie Fogler. There has been talk of this in KC on the radio, and many of the radio guys question Manning's true desire to pay the dues that a real head coach has to pay.. Let Manning prove himself somewhere else. We have no desire to be stepping stone. I would much rather have someone like (a) Bruce Webber. Steve Fischer, or Don Monson, than a newbie trying to make his mark. But I don't expect to have to have this conversation in earnest for quite a while...
            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
              I think the Kansas guys look at Wichita State strictly as a stepping-stone, to be used.
              Manning has been there forever. If he was looking for stepping stones, he would have taken a HC job a long time ago, don't you think?

Im not for him or against him, just making an observation.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Not interested in another coach who's only interested in recruiting "AT THIS LEVEL".

Comment

• Originally posted by ISASO View Post
                  Not interested in another coach who's only interested in recruiting "AT THIS LEVEL".
                  +1
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ISASO View Post
                    Not interested in another coach who's only interested in recruiting "AT THIS LEVEL".
                    AMEN!! Never again!!
                    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta town View Post
                      He coaches at Kansas, no kidding he can recruit.

This is what I'm talking about. He will get here and it's a totally different ball game. You are sold on him even though he has never called a timeout because he has recruited some 5 stars to a top 5 program of all time? come on!
                      Settle down. I never said I was sold on him, I said we should "give Manning a look." You guys bring up many good counter arguments. My point was he should be in contention, not that we should hire him.

I don't necessarily disagree with anyone who speculates that he may treat this job as just another stepping stone. But why has he said multiple times he wants to coach here? If he's looking for just another stepping stone, the dude could coach anywhere.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Gregg Marshall stays at WSU.
                        If he ever leaves...

Coop.

Comment

• Coop would be a great prospect. Since HCGM isn't leaving anytime soon, Coop has time to develop and be ready to take over a program like ours.
                          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                            Settle down. I never said I was sold on him, I said we should "give Manning a look." You guys bring up many good counter arguments. My point was he should be in contention, not that we should hire him.

I don't necessarily disagree with anyone who speculates that he may treat this job as just another stepping stone. But why has he said multiple times he wants to coach here? If he's looking for just another stepping stone, the dude could coach anywhere.
                            Like I said before if he really wants to be a head coach he needs to go take an "entry level" head coaching job. UMKC, UNO, or even one of mutiple JUCOs in the area. Instead of saying he would like to coach at WSU every time it comes open. So would a lot of other people who have actually been a head coaches somewhere. Look at Marshall, dude had 9 years in and was very successful. Even when the program was at it's lowest they went out and got Turg who had 3 years of experience with a little success.

If Danny went and coached a few years somewhere and had some sort of track record I would be OK with it I guess. He hasn't though, and no matter what success he has recruiting/coaching up players at Kansas you can't prove to me its due to him and not the program for which he works. It would take a real ra-tard to fail at Kansas.

I like Jans and while he never coached at d1 level he has coached and quite successfully at the JUCO level. Throw in his now 8 seasons as an assistant in the Valley between ISUr and WSU and his proven recruiting ability at a program like WSU and I think you have a much better candidate. He knows exactly how these Valley teams play and exactly what talent level is needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta town View Post
                              Like I said before if he really wants to be a head coach he needs to go take an "entry level" head coaching job. UMKC, UNO, or even one of mutiple JUCOs in the area. Instead of saying he would like to coach at WSU every time it comes open. So would a lot of other people who have actually been a head coaches somewhere. Look at Marshall, dude had 9 years in and was very successful. Even when the program was at it's lowest they went out and got Turg who had 3 years of experience with a little success.

If Danny went and coached a few years somewhere and had some sort of track record I would be OK with it I guess. He hasn't though, and no matter what success he has recruiting/coaching up players at Kansas you can't prove to me its due to him and not the program for which he works. It would take a real ra-tard to fail at Kansas.

I like Jans and while he never coached at d1 level he has coached and quite successfully at the JUCO level. Throw in his now 8 seasons as an assistant in the Valley between ISUr and WSU and his proven recruiting ability at a program like WSU and I think you have a much better candidate. He knows exactly how these Valley teams play and exactly what talent level is needed.
                              The SMU job is open. That would be perfect for Manning. Agree completely on Jans.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                                The SMU job is open. That would be perfect for Manning. Agree completely on Jans.
                                UAB job is open too. I'd like to see Manning take THAT one on (instead of being given the silver-spoon, like he expects, at Wichita State).
                                Last edited by another shocker; March 17, 2012, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X