No announcement yet.

South Carolina fires Darrin Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, he's thin-skinned, .....arrogant, maybe. I like him, but he's kind of an acquired taste. He is always crossways with the officials. It appears that his teams are never going to get calls, because of his sideline demenor. Tad Boyle might come back here, but he'd never go to Carolina. I hope Marshall stays, he puts on a great show.

Comment

• I'm paraphrasing, but the it basically said that Marshall had a win at all cost mentality, and forced players to play, even when injured. He cited one instance where a player had a back injury, and was forced to play until he tore something in his back. He said that Marshall forced guys to play despite what trainers said.

FWIW, Stallings is now considered to be the leading candidate here by several sources. Just got a text message. Not sure how popular a hire that would be, but it may be a case of taking what's willingly available.

Comment

• Originally posted by YoDawg View Post
        I'm paraphrasing, but the it basically said that Marshall had a win at all cost mentality, and forced players to play, even when injured. He cited one instance where a player had a back injury, and was forced to play until he tore something in his back. He said that Marshall forced guys to play despite what trainers said.

FWIW, Stallings is now considered to be the leading candidate here by several sources. Just got a text message. Not sure how popular a hire that would be, but it may be a case of taking what's willingly available.
        That is completely contrary to what has happened here with injuries. If anything it is the opposite. Really cautious. Maybe it's sour grapes from a guy who couldn't hack him or maybe he has softened, I don't know. I do know if you are a player you will earn your scholarship every minute of every practice under HCGM.

Pin, check your PM.

Comment

I'm paraphrasing, but the it basically said that Marshall had a win at all cost mentality, and forced players to play, even when injured. He cited one instance where a player had a back injury, and was forced to play until he tore something in his back. He said that Marshall forced guys to play despite what trainers said.

Ok, I doubt that. Marshall was holding guys out of games this year when they were hurt.

Comment

• No offense but other than the rigorous academic standards at Vandy to overcome, wouldn't that be a lateral move at best for Stallings? Is the war chest that deep?

Comment

• or maybe he learned from the Winthrop situation, but, yeah, not the situation here at all............Stallings is a great coach and a classy guy.

Comment

• Why would Stallings leave Vandy for SC? Is he looking to be forced into early retirement?
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Even if it did happen, he was still a fairly young, naive coach at the time, so I pretty much look at it as a mistake a younger guy makes, but learns from down the road.

I'm just not 100% convinced that he'd take the SC job at this point just because the ideal time has passed. Considering what he's got going for him with you guys, I doubt SC is his destination. I just dread the talk that will ensue here about "what if". I, personally, was never a Darrin Horn fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                    Isn't tad Boyle in his dream job?
                    Yep, CU is practically his dream job. He may be from Suitcase Larry's coaching tree, but he's not going anywhere for a long, long time. If given an opportunity at a blue blood he'd probably take it, but he won't take a lateral move or just a small step up.

Some of USC's options are awfully optimistic. I hear Calipari might be available...
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Stallings actually expressed interest in the job. I'm not 100% convinced that USC is as a bad of a situation as everyone makes it out to be. Having seen 95% of the games of the Darrin Horn tenure, it was obvious that the system he was trying to install wasn't suited for a major conference.

Stallings would come into a situation where facilities are 1000% better than Vandy's gym. For those of you who don't know, Vandy doesn't even have an athletic office. It was dissolved a few years ago. He'd make more money, face less rigorous academic requirements, and inherit a bigger recruiting budget. I agree it may seem like a lateral move, but it could be a very good job for someone who was looking to build something that could be maintained. That was Fogler's issue. He didn't recruit to maintain. During his heyday, he actually benefitted from a couple of big time transfers. It could definitely be a good situation. Will it be a Kentucky, or even Florida? Probably not, but it's not unrealistic for USC to be a tournament team every 2 to 3 years.

Comment

• [QUOTE=Some of USC's options are awfully optimistic. I hear Calipari might be available...[/QUOTE]

I agree there are quite a few optimistic options on that list, but we never thought we'd have Holtz, and Spurrier as football coaches. Basketball is a whole other beast, but you never know what can happen when you start showing the money.

As for Calipari, I've heard he may actually be a candidate for the Nets job.

Comment

Stallings actually expressed interest in the job. I'm not 100% convinced that USC is as a bad of a situation as everyone makes it out to be. Having seen 95% of the games of the Darrin Horn tenure, it was obvious that the system he was trying to install wasn't suited for a major conference.

Stallings would come into a situation where facilities are 1000% better than Vandy's gym. For those of you who don't know, Vandy doesn't even have an athletic office. It was dissolved a few years ago. He'd make more money, face less rigorous academic requirements, and inherit a bigger recruiting budget. I agree it may seem like a lateral move, but it could be a very good job for someone who was looking to build something that could be maintained. That was Fogler's issue. He didn't recruit to maintain. During his heyday, he actually benefitted from a couple of big time transfers. It could definitely be a good situation. Will it be a Kentucky, or even Florida? Probably not, but it's not unrealistic for USC to be a tournament team every 2 to 3 years.
                          If you get Stallings, consider yourself lucky. That would be an amazing hire. He would have to bring in a hired gun assistant to recruit the south, but if he could get any talent with his system, you would be dancing.

Still think it's a big if though.

Comment

I agree there are quite a few optimistic options on that list, but we never thought we'd have Holtz, and Spurrier as football coaches. Basketball is a whole other beast, but you never know what can happen when you start showing the money.

As for Calipari, I've heard he may actually be a candidate for the Nets job.
                            I had not heard about john and the nets...this means there is already an ncaa investigation going on and he will be the only coach in ncaa history to have to vacate 3 final fours from three different schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                              If you get Stallings, consider yourself lucky. That would be an amazing hire. He would have to bring in a hired gun assistant to recruit the south, but if he could get any talent with his system, you would be dancing.

Still think it's a big if though.
                              Couldn't agree more. I'm not sure it would make the splash that a lot of fans are looking for, but you're looking at a very solid coach who has proven he can get it done in the SEC. But, as Bobby Cremmins taught us, it ain't over till it's over, and even then...it might not be over! By the way, how's the Shocker baseball team looking?

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                                I had not heard about john and the nets...this means there is already an ncaa investigation going on and he will be the only coach in ncaa history to have to vacate 3 final fours from three different schools.
                                HAHA! I'm gonna have to ask my friends in Lexington, KY, and see what reaction I get.

Comment

Working...
                                X