No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would love to see the Trees from Terre Haute (or anyone else in the Valley for that matter) take their game up to the next level. I'd even more love to see it if Elgin was gone, because he's the biggest reason for the Valley trying to pull WSU down rather than forcing everyone else to rise up. Hate to say it, but at this point in time, I think that ship has sailed and the bridge is currently in the process of burning.
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• I always thought that the Shockers should try to get in the Big 12, now I think they should try to get into a real conference!
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• This tweeted after UNI win:

‏@tullycorcoran
        There should be a Midwest Conference. It would slaughter in hoops.

This this reply:

Mike Vernon ‏@M_Vernon
        KU, OU, ISU, Iowa, No. Iowa, WSU, KSU, Creighton, Indiana, Purdue, Michigan St., Ohio State, Michigan, Wiscy
        On twitter as @WuShocks

Comment

• The wife and I were just discussing the payout system of the tournament and so I looked it up. Now mind You this is wikipedia but the following is copied
          Another smaller league had great success in that same tournament: the Missouri Valley Conference. Bradley and Wichita State made surprising round-of-16 runs, and two other schools also made the tournament, for eight units, or $10.2 million over the next six years.
          Missouri Valley Commissioner Doug Elgin’s compensation increased 40 percent over the life of that payout, from $224,250 in 2006 to $316,269 in 2012, according to conference tax records. Elgin defended his compensation and, unlike Yeager, said it was absolutely tied to the success of his conference’s basketball performance.
          “I would hope that when the CEO of a business, when their return is off the charts, that their compensation is commensurate with performance,” said Elgin.

Think there's any correlation to wanting us to lose in the Lou?

Comment

• “I would hope that when the CEO of a business, when their return is off the charts, that their compensation is commensurate with performance,” said Elgin.

But team success isn't always linked to conference success. Doug, your conference was ranked 7th in '06 but now it's 13th. Sure there have been teams successful in the NCAA tournament but you're responsible for the overall success not just one or two teams each year. But yeah, you deserve it, way to go!
            I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
            If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

• “I would hope that when the CEO of a business, when their return is off the charts, that their compensation is commensurate with performance,” said Elgin.

lol so cocky

Comment

• nvm. @Pigman: beat me to it.

Leave me alone, it's early.
                Last edited by HockeyShock; March 19, 2016, 07:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pigman View Post
                  The wife and I were just discussing the payout system of the tournament and so I looked it up. Now mind You this is wikipedia but the following is copied
                  Another smaller league had great success in that same tournament: the Missouri Valley Conference. Bradley and Wichita State made surprising round-of-16 runs, and two other schools also made the tournament, for eight units, or $10.2 million over the next six years.
                  Missouri Valley Commissioner Doug Elgin’s compensation increased 40 percent over the life of that payout, from $224,250 in 2006 to $316,269 in 2012, according to conference tax records. Elgin defended his compensation and, unlike Yeager, said it was absolutely tied to the success of his conference’s basketball performance.
                  “I would hope that when the CEO of a business, when their return is off the charts, that their compensation is commensurate with performance,” said Elgin.

Think there's any correlation to wanting us to lose in the Lou?

Cleaned up for viewing
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Elgin brought us Marshall, which has brought a Final Four jacket to the MVC. So Elgin gets credit there. But that hire was in 2007. The problem is, since then he has lost Creighton, and his conference is stagnant at a time when there has never been better opportunity to bolster a conference. With increased compensation comes increased responsibility. Elgin's visionary days are apparently past him. It appears he's merely hanging on to the easy money tree and failing to execute in any useful entrepreneurial way. Adding mediocre programs to the conference is not visionary.
                    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Doug Elgin during the UNI gave an interview and said he believes the MVC is going to be stable for at least the next 5-6 year and they are not looking to add teams and keep the league at 10.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                        Doug Elgin during the UNI gave an interview and said he believes the MVC is going to be stable for at least the next 5-6 year and they are not looking to add teams and keep the league at 10.
                        I don't care if they keep the league at 10 but it may be a big mistake to keep all 10 of the current league members.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                          Elgin brought us Marshall,
                          I don't really believe Elgin brought us Marshall - I think it just myth created by Elgin to try and get WSU fans to hate him less. I believe we have Marshall because of 1 person Jim Schaust.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                            Doug Elgin during the UNI gave an interview and said he believes the MVC is going to be stable for at least the next 5-6 year and they are not looking to add teams and keep the league at 10.
                            No vision. No entrepreneurial ability. HUGE missed opportunity for the conference.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              No vision. No entrepreneurial ability. HUGE missed opportunity for the conference.
                              the big problem with Elgin is that he seems to be satisfied. He got his big return on investment and gave himself a nice pay raise for being so fantastic at his job so he is happy I guess. He doesn't look around the country and get too concerned about what seems to be happening in the rest of NCAA sports. No, he is just gonna sit back and let the coaches at WSU and UNI keep providing handouts for him.

Comment

• So how does one go about getting elfin replaced? Aka fired

Comment

Working...
                                X