Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by dwbarcl View Post
    So how does one go about getting elfin replaced? Aka fired
    Member school Presidents. I don't know if it is a simple majority, super majority, or unanimous vote.
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Comment

• People named Doug seem to suck (present company excluded).
        Rip em up, Tear em up, Give em HELL Shockers!

Comment

• MVC needs to look for another quality team or 2 if we are gonna have 3 or 4 not participating in trying to get better.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Unfortunately, I didn't have the time to read the entire piece or research anything. But, for anyone that has, is there a link to increasing pressure to pay athletes and the new reports showing "soaring" costs for athletics in some cases? Just wondered if this was the NCAA building part of its future argument, but like I said I know next to nothing about this topic.

Comment

• The new data will show that college athletics are a drain on many schools. I look for some schools to do major cuts or switch leagues in order to be able to afford to be competitive "at their level".

Comment

• Another interesting take-away from the article, WSU has the lowest subsidy % of the athletic budget for any school. By a wide margin. Being far from an expert, I think this means WSU tends to make more profit from it's sports and gets a higher % of private funding. For example the article says MSU is paying $6M a year on bonds for the JQH Arena, compared to our large private donors for CKA.

Comment

• Originally posted by IdahoShocker View Post
                  Another interesting take-away from the article, WSU has the lowest subsidy % of the athletic budget for any school. By a wide margin. Being far from an expert, I think this means WSU tends to make more profit from it's sports and gets a higher % of private funding. For example the article says MSU is paying $6M a year on bonds for the JQH Arena, compared to our large private donors for CKA.
                  Also, we don't play football. Some of that could change if we start football.

Comment

• Originally posted by giskard View Post
                    Duh, I forgot that. Great point. So that means our budget is within $1M annually of ISUr, SIU, and MSU without Football which is the most expensive sport. So if we did add football our budget would likely be at least 25% more than anyone else. Not to start a new tangent, but I'm not convinced all the private donors would support football as strongly as they have basketball.
                    Last edited by IdahoShocker; March 21, 2016, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Would really like to see us get SFA.... I think they have potential with a bigger athletic budget to become a good program. Recruiting Texas alone is a hotbed of recruits.

Comment

• Originally posted by giskard View Post
                        Are you saying it could change the other way if others stop football?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                          Are you saying it could change the other way if others stop football?
                          If they dropped football, their total expenditures would go down and it is likely the subsidy percentage would drop. At the MVFC level, football doesn't tend to make a profit.

Comment

• After adjusting for equivalency - neutralizing FB vs no-FB, and (in the apparent case of MSU) deducting out debt service (which is 100% a sunk cost liability, NOT an asset, in the context of athletics support) WSU has, and has had for some time, the largest athletics budget in the MVC, and it is really not even close.

In MBB alone, our budget is roughly 175% of number two Bradley, and is close to 250-300% the MVC average. Marshall makes more in his salary alone than something like 2/3rds or 3/4ths the MVC MBB budgets.

If we restarted football our overall budget would grow another $10-$15M, based on the context of comments that have been made by Bardo (FBS football at the MWC or AAC level).

Comment

• NCAA Financial Data

WSU is second to VCU among non football playing schools in spending.
                              Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• WSU is at #105 on the list
                                Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Working...
                                X