No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Momey wise moving to a better conference makes all the sense in the world and right now is probably the time to do it if it were possible. I like the AAC. Kinda nice having an almost guaranteed spot on a yearly basis playing in the valley. I just wonder if by some chance we finished say 4th in the AAC would we still be an at large?
    Wonder how bad Gonzaga wants to move out of a conference they dominate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
      If the City of Wichita passed a 1-cent sales tax increase it is estimated it would generate $400 million in 5 years. $100M could be used for facilities and equipment and $300M could be used for a "football endowment." I would think that the $300M endowment should pretty much provide the funds needed to operate the football program on an annual basis, and fund the Title IX scholarships.

The beauty of this arrangement is that it would do no harm to the basketball program. The football program would be self-sustaining and it would not suck resources away from the basketball program.
      It's a nice thought, but I'm totally against the people of Wichita footing the bill for football. It needs to be private money that WANTS to have football. Forcing the single mother with 5 children to pay an extra 1% of her spending money to bring football back just doesn't seem right at all to me.
      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
        It's a nice thought, but I'm totally against the people of Wichita footing the bill for football. It needs to be private money that WANTS to have football. Forcing the single mother with 5 children to pay an extra 1% of her spending money to bring football back just doesn't seem right at all to me.
        The city benefits from having football and a new stadium, too. Just like it benefits from having Intrust Bank Arena. The stadium could host various events, Shrine Bowl, High School football and playoffs, summertime concerts, etc. that all bring dollars into the city that get taxed. And the business owners see increases in their businesses too. I'm not saying it should all be funded by a sales tax, but certainly the people, in general, benefit from the tax revenue created through the building and use of the facility.
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Staying with the football discussion…

Watch this 30 minute video (unfortunately ends after about 23 minutes) about former Coach Willie Jeffries; numerous Wichita State highlights and interviews including Wichita sports reporter Randy Brown (RIP) and former Chiefs head Coach Herman Edwards. Highlights of the 8-3 season including the victory over KU and the subsequent 2 year NCAA probation for a recruiting violation (would likely have been a hand-slap at any other institution not employing a black Division-1 head coach).
          Dropping football still eats at me; I’m not a fan of any other football program (college or Pro) and football has been DEAD to me since the program ended in 1986. The historical significance of hiring Willie Jeffries is one of the many reasons I want football to return to WSU. Times have changed; it’s time to find a way to bring it back.

Coach Willie Jeffries ~ Sports Century Profile ~ Hall of Fame South Carolina State Wichita State

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

A tax such as this is like a two edged sword. It does cause pain on those that can least afford it. Without a similar tax we would not have Intrust Bank Arena. Most of those that voted against the funding of it I would venture have used it for some venue or other. Without the IBA what would downtown development look like. Would our taxes have been increased to cover loss of revenue due to the demise of the entertainment district? What about other interest in development, the selling of the Spaghetti Warehouse property was named as a link between IBA and Union Station. I think of the taxes that I gave to the building of IBA as "seed" money that has done pretty well for my city of Wichita.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
              Most of those that voted against the funding of it I would venture have used it for some venue or other.
              I call bullshit on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                Staying with the football discussion…

Watch this 30 minute video (unfortunately ends after about 23 minutes) about former Coach Willie Jeffries; numerous Wichita State highlights and interviews including Wichita sports reporter Randy Brown (RIP) and former Chiefs head Coach Herman Edwards. Highlights of the 8-3 season including the victory over KU and the subsequent 2 year NCAA probation for a recruiting violation (would likely have been a hand-slap at any other institution not employing a black Division-1 head coach).
                Dropping football still eats at me; I’m not a fan of any other football program (college or Pro) and football has been DEAD to me since the program ended in 1986. The historical significance of hiring Willie Jeffries is one of the many reasons I want football to return to WSU. Times have changed; it’s time to find a way to bring it back.

Coach Willie Jeffries ~ Sports Century Profile ~ Hall of Fame South Carolina State Wichita State

Thanks for sharing this link; I was unaware of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  I call bullshit on this.
                  How about "more than a few", "a fair number"? I try to remember to deal with a certain amount a vagueness when I don't know the facts. On the other hand, many statements here meant to be an opinion (whether said that way or not) are treated as someone spouting fact. It's a fan board.

Comment

I don't totally disagree with your position, but we are just beating around ideas. I'm sure that more "creative taxation" could be found.

As far as tax on food, the increase could be exempt from food items. Personally, I think sales tax should be greatly lowered for food items (not including beer, clothing, or other items now sold in the big groceries). I think there should be a very low sales tax on items purchased from DAV or Goodwill stores as well, but this is another subject not for here.

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
                      The city benefits from having football and a new stadium, too. Just like it benefits from having Intrust Bank Arena. The stadium could host various events, Shrine Bowl, High School football and playoffs, summertime concerts, etc. that all bring dollars into the city that get taxed. And the business owners see increases in their businesses too. I'm not saying it should all be funded by a sales tax, but certainly the people, in general, benefit from the tax revenue created through the building and use of the facility.
                      This!!

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                        I call bullshit on this.
                        Aren't you a Kingman County resident? Did you even pay a cent for the place?
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                          Aren't you a Kingman County resident? Did you even pay a cent for the place?
                          I am out of county, but no way in hell are most of the "no" votes using the place. My guess would be that 20% of the people ever visit downtown.

Comment

• I bet there were a ton of no voters who went to Garth Brooks recently. Just speculation obviously, but I think a fair assumption.

Oh, and in this day and age, there's no way in HELL Brooks comes to Wichita without IBA.
                            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                              I bet there were a ton of no voters who went to Garth Brooks recently. Just speculation obviously, but I think a fair assumption.

Oh, and in this day and age, there's no way in HELL Brooks comes to Wichita without IBA.
                              I imagine that there were certainly some. And you are right about Garth.

Comment

Fair point. Just remember what benefits WSU benefits the City of Wichita. If football allows WSU to upgrade conference affiliation then it will benefit WSU academically. If it allows the Innovation Campus to grow more that will result in more economic growth for the region perhaps giving that single mother better employment opportunities. Also increased enrollment by traditional college students at WSU provides economic benefit to the community.

If @ShockTalk: is right and it doesn't take the full 1% for 5 years I think it would be beneficial to still keep it the full 5 years and invest the surplus directly into the Innovation Campus providing more economic benefit for the community.
                                Last edited by Shocker-maniac; December 29, 2015, 01:13 PM.
                                ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Working...
                                X