Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
    The AAC is such a good fit that it will never happen
    "too much like right" as they say in these parts...

Comment

• Originally posted by JayPak View Post
      You guys might have an interest in this discussion about WSU to A-10.

http://holylandofhoops.com/forum/vie...bdc3dff89a802a
      The same discussions are had on every conference board I've seen. Doesn't mean anything's going to happen.

WSU to the A-10 would be great for WSU and the A-10. It would also be costly in terms of travel. Same goes for the AAC.

While I would still love for WSU to change conferences ... I'm a lot less worried about it now that we can afford $3.3 million for Marshall. The TV revenue for joining the A-10 would mostly just go to travel costs. We'd be in a much better place competitively, though, and WSU as a university would probably benefit from the east coast exposure. But conference realignment was a lot more important to me yesterday than it is today.
      Originally posted by BleacherReport
      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• The news of Gregg Marshall should super-duperly enhance Wichita St's appeal to the AAC. It was already good...but it just got a lot better!!! The AAC would be really stoopid and trending backwards if it didn't snatch up Wichita St. Perfect fit all around!!!!
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
        1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
        Number of Times Ranked: 157
        Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
        Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
        Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
        #3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
        #2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• If they are taking a football only school, why not a basketball onky school?

I still say WSU moving conferences is a loooong shot, but, hey its hope.
          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• One thing I did notice...

"Wichita TV Market (Wichita's Rank - Nielsen "TV Homes"): 65th - 441,760 - 12th out of 12
            Dead last here, but actually not far behind Tulsa at 530,200 "TV Homes", and within reasonable distance of Memphis at 653,560 "TV Homes." Some pretty big cities in the AAC, although I'm not sure how closely those cities follow the sports of their ACC member."

Wichita is 65
            Greenville NC is 99

So 11th out of 12

Comment

• The size of the media market is wayyyy overrated. I can guarantee you that a Wichita State game has a lot more viewers than a Tulsa game. Not even close.

Just like the MVC patting themselves on the back for bringing in Loyola Chicago and chirping about how large their media market is. Once again, Wichita State outdraws Loyola in viewers and its not even close.

There is a thread here on shockernet discussing the viewership of teams games. WSU has a good #'s.
              Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
              Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by capnkirk View Post
                The size of the media market is wayyyy overrated. I can guarantee you that a Wichita State game has a lot more viewers than a Tulsa game. Not even close.

Just like the MVC patting themselves on the back for bringing in Loyola Chicago and chirping about how large their media market is. Once again, Wichita State outdraws Loyola in viewers and its not even close.

There is a thread here on shockernet discussing the viewership of teams games. WSU has a good #'s.
                For us challenged folks... :)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• "The size of the media market is wayyyy overrated."

Not to us...look at the AAC cities...that's not an accident.

That said, Wichita isn't some small town in the middle of nowhere.

Comment

• Even as an MVC homer, when I fantasize about adding teams here, I generally look for the big cities. There's just something about knowing your schools are in huge cities that makes me feel like this conference sucks less. For me, it has nothing to do with knowing anything about the market. What I would want would be good mid-major schools that have decent fan bases in huge cities. In other words, the kind of programs that CAN produce fans if they would just pull together a good extended run.

For example, UAB has a huge metro area and a bunch of football fans who are about to be displaced. All they will have to cling to is basketball. That is a must add for the MVC if they are at all interested. Must add. I don't care if we have 11 teams and a screwy schedule because of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post
                      "The size of the media market is wayyyy overrated."

Not to us...look at the AAC cities...that's not an accident.

That said, Wichita isn't some small town in the middle of nowhere.
                      It's a medium sized town in the middle of nowhere lol. I do think the media market size is something that's a little overplayed. Look the the Green Bay Packers. One of the most popular teams in the league and plays in an incredibly small market. Look at the Jayhawks. Yes, they have KC near, but they are 1 1/2 hours away.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                        Look at the Jayhawks. Yes, they have KC near, but they are 1 1/2 hours away.
                        Huh? Depending on where in KC, I guess, but you can be on west side of KC metro area in 30 minutes.
                        78-65

Comment

• Wouldn't a better measuring stick be the viewership instead of media market? Heck, look at butts in the seats too.

It's all about tv ratings these days.
                          Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                          Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

• I do think market size is overrated, even in the P5. Some examples:

Texas A&M -- College Station, TX
                            Nebraska -- Lincoln, NE
                            K-State -- Manhattan, KS
                            Texas Tech -- Lubbock, TX
                            Baylor -- Waco, TX
                            Washington State -- Pullman, WA
                            Illinois -- Champaign, IL
                            Indiana -- Bloomington, IL
                            Notre Dame -- South Bend, IN
                            Kentucky -- Lexington, KY
                            Ole Miss -- Oxford, MS
                            West Virginia -- tiny ass Morgantown, WV
                            Mississippi State -- tinier ass Starkville, MS

You get my point. Some of these towns may be nearby big cities, but it's the size of the fanbase, not the size of the town they are in.
                            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                              I do think market size is overrated, even in the P5. Some examples:

Texas A&M -- College Station, TX
                              Nebraska -- Lincoln, NE
                              K-State -- Manhattan, KS
                              Texas Tech -- Lubbock, TX
                              Baylor -- Waco, TX
                              Washington State -- Pullman, WA
                              Illinois -- Champaign, IL
                              Indiana -- Bloomington, IL
                              Notre Dame -- South Bend, IN
                              Kentucky -- Lexington, KY
                              Ole Miss -- Oxford, MS
                              West Virginia -- tiny ass Morgantown, WV
                              Mississippi State -- tinier ass Starkville, MS

You get my point. Some of these towns may be nearby big cities, but it's the size of the fanbase, not the size of the town they are in.
                              not really. those are P5 schools that get ridiciouls TV contract money, and are mostly The University of {insert state name here} or {insert state name} State University...they are State land grant schools, and flagship universities...they have crazy university endowments and even crazier athletic budgets.

at the G5 level, markets matter...esp for TV contracts.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
                                Huh? Depending on where in KC, I guess, but you can be on west side of KC metro area in 30 minutes.
                                You're right. GPS says 45 min. I have no clue why I thought it was farther west.

Comment

Working...
                                X