American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
    I wish I was rich ( like disposable income in the billions) and I would pay to relocate WSU downtown just west of the river where Lawrence Dumont is. Knock down Gander Mountain and create a medical school there and relocate kellogg about 1/2 mile south for the stretch from the river to I-135 (leaving the rest all the same).

Building a baseball stadium and a football stadium next to the river and a soccer complex/tennis courts just south of that.
    The school to the west, knocking down some of the houses west of lawrence dumont, relocating the ice rink complex to north of campus for use by students and others in general area.

Dorms and frat/sorority houses mixed in as well with underground parking.

My ultimate guilty pleasure would be to have some sort of subway system dug and run it from goddard on the west edge to andover on the east, with stops in maize/park city, derby, and all parts of wichita. Knock down some of the other buildings just north of kellogg near main/broadway etc and create a vibrant district with shops, stores, grocery for people etc.

Or scrap all that and wipe all of the buildings from the river to the train tracks next to intrust and build the whole campus there and reroute roads around it and make it a true downtown campus... :)
    I've always wondered when WSU got accredited back in the 60s, why was the decision made to keep the main campus on 21st and Hillside? Of all the buildings I cared the least for while attending WSU were mainly the ones that were built in the 60s after the accrediation. Professors even made the occasional joke about them.
    The campus looks cool in a sense because you can see all the different eras of architecture, but abandoning the old campus for a better location immediatly after the accredidation just should of happened.

Comment

• $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?

Comment

• There are a ton of colleges and universities in this country that aren't located in the best of neighborhoods, especially on the East Coast.

Comment

• It's actually kind of interesting looking back at the history of WSU.. Dropping football back in the 80s was a unpopular move, but what would of happened had it not been dropped? Does Koch still give huge donations to renovate the round house? Regardless of what people around the state say about WSU basketball and how long it's been relevant, there's been a emphasis on the basketball program at WSU since 2000. Turgeon was hired, the round house got renovated.
          And from then on things seemingly took off. I have a hard time believing Koch Arena and mens basketball would of gotten revitalized if WSU never dropped football. Although it's possible I guess.

Comment

• Until the current era of WSU basketball (2006-current), all of WSU's basketball success came when we still had football on campus. There is no correlation....
            Last edited by Shockerman; April 17, 2016, 09:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
              There are a ton of colleges and universities in this country that aren't located in the best of neighborhoods, especially on the East Coast.
              You're absolutely right. In fact, MOST universities have a blighted area of town on at least one of its borders. I'm often on college campuses and see this all the time. People generally don't want to have a university or college in their backyard.

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                I've always wondered when WSU got accredited back in the 60s, why was the decision made to keep the main campus on 21st and Hillside? Of all the buildings I cared the least for while attending WSU were mainly the ones that were built in the 60s after the accrediation. Professors even made the occasional joke about them.
                The campus looks cool in a sense because you can see all the different eras of architecture, but abandoning the old campus for a better location immediatly after the accredidation just should of happened.
                I liked the style of buildings. I went and check out all the colleges on the east coast when I am visiting. I liked harvard's campus, georgetown was kinda cool over looking the river ( and my uncle ran track there lol). They all have cool nuances about them. I would like to see WSU relocate (but if they did, keep some of the differentiating styles),but the money alone would make it impossible. The innovation campus is making the current campus better as well.

Comment

• And some universities don't have a nice side of town. We should be thankful that Wichita has the East side.

Boom! Shots fired.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                      Is the title of that gif "A Night with Bill Self"?
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Does the east side extend all the way to Lawrence?

Comment

• Only the attitude

Comment

• Emperor's Grill is on both the East and West side, so it's a tie really.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                              Emperor's Grill is on both the East and West side, so it's a tie really.
                              Two of them are on the west side though.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                Does the east side extend all the way to Lawrence?
                                Na. The west side does though.

Comment

Working...
                                X