American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
    If the City of Wichita passed a 1-cent sales tax increase it is estimated it would generate $400 million in 5 years. $100M could be used for facilities and equipment and $300M could be used for a "football endowment." I would think that the $300M endowment should pretty much provide the funds needed to operate the football program on an annual basis, and fund the Title IX scholarships.

The beauty of this arrangement is that it would do no harm to the basketball program. The football program would be self-sustaining and it would not suck resources away from the basketball program.
    Has there ever been an instance of a City or County passing a sales tax increase to fund the construction of a college athletic facility? I know its been stated the used would be open to other uses by the city or county, but the main purpose would be for WSU football.

Edit: I also know there has been city/county funded pro sports facilities, but I have never heard of a college facility funded by sales tax.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      Sales tax is the most fair tax there is, as long as it applies to absolutely everything. This would be a municipal stadium, what other uses would the city have for it, other than leasing it to WSU for football?
      Sales tax adjusted for low or zero sales tax on food items is fair, but to say sales tax across the board applying to everything is the most fair is a little sketchy. The sales tax, when unadjusted for food and essentials, severely hurts the lowest income earners as more of their sustaining income is used to pay tax that could be used for essentials. I would say that's not fair at all.
      ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Then they pay no tax. Zero. That doesn't seem fair

Comment

• Just be like Colorado. Legalize the whacky tobacky and tax the hell out of It. Stadium will be paid for in no time, roads will be fixed, teachers and schools taken care of, less crowding in jails, not to mention the pick-up in food delivery business. win win
          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
            Just be like Colorado. Legalize the whacky tobacky and tax the hell out of It. Stadium will be paid for in no time, roads will be fixed, teachers and schools taken care of, less crowding in jails, not to mention the pick-up in food delivery business. win win
            Nice touch.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockdaWorld View Post
              Just be like Colorado. Legalize the whacky tobacky and tax the hell out of It. Stadium will be paid for in no time, roads will be fixed, teachers and schools taken care of, less crowding in jails, not to mention the pick-up in food delivery business. win win
              Would bring new meaning to saying "that stadium is dope!"
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by Flip1381 View Post
                Has there ever been an instance of a City or County passing a sales tax increase to fund the construction of a college athletic facility?
                I think it depends on your definition. Several cities have built arenas and then let the local college teams "rent" them. In fact, IIRC, prior to Intrust and the Levitt Arena remake to Koch, wasn't there talk about a facility that WSU could use for games? Not just occasionally, but as their home arena?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                  Would bring new meaning to saying "that stadium is dope!"
                  Think of the naming rights potential too.
                  Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

• Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                    In their Home Arena, The Bowl, the Shockers Smoked the Bears

Would the field be grass or turf?

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                      In their Home Arena, The Bowl, the Shockers Smoked the Bears

Would the field be grass or turf?
                      It shall be a round stadium, with a wheat chaff field. And it shall be called "The Threshing Floor." Because after we shock 'em, we thresh 'em.

Maybe that should be the new nickname of the Koch Arena floor.

Comment

• I don't know the details, but Creighton plays in the Century Link Center which I assume was not paid for by the school.

Comment

• There are schools that rent basketball venues. There are schools, even P-5 schools, that rent football stadiums. Having a city or county fund a stadium that will be owned by the university would be rare.
                          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
                              "pin Stadium."........I like it. I'll go 8 bucks

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockMe300 View Post
                                I don't know the details, but Creighton plays in the Century Link Center which I assume was not paid for by the school.
                                It is paid for by the tax payers. CU rents it for the games. Same with the baseball stadium.

Comment

Working...
                                X