American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey All!

Stopped by to check out your recruiting forum and saw this thread.

I thought that I’d share what I know about BIG EAST expansion candidates. Before I do that, let me just say that I don’t expect the league to expand for a few years at the earliest. Everybody wants to wait to give the old BE teams a chance to become familiar with the newly added programs and to develop some new rivalries. There are a few other political reasons for not expanding at this time, but I won’t bore you with those. I don’t see the league going to 14 or 16 --- 12 may be tops for a long, long time. More teams just gives each school a smaller portion of the TV money, which until the league has a chance to bank some NCAA tourney credits, seems to be a decision the schools are not likely to pursue. Two very important things to keep in mind with BE expansion:

1)The BE is run and all decisions are made by university Presidents (academics), not athletic department personnel (that has actually caused some problems here and there because the presidents don’t care about athletics deadlines, etc). This is important because these guys are VERY academically focused and really stress academic matters (it wouldn’t be much of an exaggeration to use the word “obsess”) over all things when making decisions. They also move at a very deliberate (a/k/a “slow") pace.

2) There is a preference toward private schools, but not for elitist reasons (okay, there might be a little bit of that too;)). The desire to stay away from public institutions as long as possible is because the presidents truly enjoy privacy. Adding publics opens the league up to Freedom-of-Information Act requests, not to mention the whims and political agendas of local boards of regents or state legislatures. Religious affiliation is not an issue, but may be favored of a nonreligious alternative.

3) Expect that there will be a conscious decision to maintain an equal east-west split. Easterners don’t want to cede numerical advantage to western schools.
    As to candidates:
    a) St Louis: as close to a lock as possible. Huge TV market, hoops first school, no football, Jesuit affiliation. Would probably be in the conference now instead of Creighton had SLU’s prior president not been so difficult to get along with and so universally disliked; he’s gone now. Speculation that some want to see if Jim Crews can keep the program at the same level after Majerus’ recruits are goners. Chance: 90-95%. After SLU there are no other overly strong options.
    b) Dayton: OUT. To close geographically to Xavier (Cincy, OH). Rumors that Xavier doesn’t want them in and would try to block. Proximity to existing markets also rules out schools like St Joseph’s and George Washington.
    c) Richmond: moderate chance. Private, but small. Enrollment is approx. 3-4K. Possible proximity issue with Georgetown.
    d) VCU: moderate chance. Problem issues: public, proximity to Georgetown (rumors that Georgetown doesn’t want them), academics. With Brad Stevens leaving Butler, some are asking if VCU is in a similar situation – if Shaka leaves, will they be able to compete?
    e) WSU: slight chance. Concerns: remote geography and academic profile. One of the biggest problems for WSU is that they are a western school and SLU is widely expected to be the western school added. Probably would require a 14-16 team makeup before rising to a more viable candidate. If WSU could do one thing to improve its chances, it would be to raise admission requirements, but when I mentioned this to a member of this board in PMs last spring, I was told this was not an option because of the nature of WSU's particular mission.

I see that some have discussed Memphis. Let me just say that even if they had no football, the BE would NEVER consider them. Their academic profile and reputation is absolutely putrid and the presidents would be embarrassed (no, that word is not too string in this particular context) to be affiliated with them.

Many believe the presidents will sit and wait a few years to see if natural candidates rise to the top. Many believe they are hoping that UConn will abandon the money pit that is their football program. If they were to do so, which I personally feel is a pipe dream, the league would have no problem admitting UConn despite their public school status. Another dream candidate if they could somehow get their hoops program to stop sucking would be someone like Duquesne or maybe even a Detroit – huge markets, hoops focused, private, no football. If expansion were to take place tomorrow, I’d say that it would probably be SLU and Richmond (VCU would be just behind Richmond). If UMass were to drop football, I’d think they would become a pretty appealing candidate too because of their location in an eastern market (the entire state of Massachusetts) that does not currently house a Big East program.

You guys need to get out of the MVC. Too many of the programs are not committed to winning and are flat broke. They are satisfied with the status quo and only hoping to field a decent program once every four years or so.

Good luck on your attempt for an undefeated season.

Comment

• I really don't see any chance of the BE being an option for us.

AAC or MWC is our hope. We'll have to throw in our lot with the football folks.
      Originally posted by BleacherReport
      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
        I really don't see any chance of the BE being an option for us.

AAC or MWC is our hope. We'll have to throw in our lot with the football folks.
        I don't disagree with this at all. My point regarding the Big East is stability, non-football schools, and likelihood of divisions if they ever expand to 14 or 16 which would be the only way we ever would have a chance of being invited.

I would be concerned in a football conference of getting pushed out (one way or another) if a 12th football/all sports school wanted in and they wanted them in place of a football only school and a non-football school. I think the AAC, with divisions, would be a nice arrangement. If DJA is on target about the schools, I could also see a slight possibility of the AAC expanding by 3 non-football schools, WSU, VCU, and Dayton. Probably strong enough that even if UConn and/or Cincy were to leave, it would still be a strong basketball conference, better than the A-10 currently.

Comment

• so is the consensus saying that we should leave the MVC and join Creighton in the new Big East? Its not out of the question, especially seeing as how successful Creighton has been in its first year, but thats a small sample size...I have a feeling once Dougie is gone, that Creighton will come back down to earth a bit...and thats no knock on their program...just respect for how good he is an offensive player

Comment

• Originally posted by choida View Post
            so is the consensus saying that we should leave the MVC and join Creighton in the new Big East?
            I think the consensus is saying that Wichita St doesn't really fit the profile of the new Big East, so therefore we most likely won't get an invite unless they have a large expansion. Everyone just wants out no matter where we move up to (AAC and MWC get the most mentions).

Comment

• Let me say this for the 600th time, for purely selfish reasons, I want Wichita State in the NBE. I know the odds are long, but if the Shockers and one other quality team were added, it would be an epic league. I don't see SLU adding near the punch Wichita State would.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerMas View Post
                I think the consensus is saying that Wichita St doesn't really fit the profile of the new Big East, so therefore we most likely won't get an invite unless they have a large expansion. Everyone just wants out no matter where we move up to (AAC and MWC get the most mentions).
                The Big East has already broken their profile. They did so when they added Butler over another Catholic school (Saint Louis most likely). Why did they do so? Because Butler went to back to back title games, and made themselves too good to refuse. We have the chance to be that type of addition if we capitalize on our opportunities. If the choice comes down to the worst of SLU and Dayton, and a Wichita State that has made back-to-back Final Fours or even won a championship I think the Big East would have pick us.

Even if we don't go to another Final Four, we have the chance to be that type of team in the foreseeable future. To be frank, I'm not sure you can say the same about the other teams the Big East may or may not be considering. Saint Louis is the closest, but even they haven't made that first major step in the tournament yet. Dayton, Richmond, and all the other Catholic possibilities just don't cut it from a success standpoint.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                  I don't disagree with this at all. My point regarding the Big East is stability, non-football schools, and likelihood of divisions if they ever expand to 14 or 16 which would be the only way we ever would have a chance of being invited.

I would be concerned in a football conference of getting pushed out (one way or another) if a 12th football/all sports school wanted in and they wanted them in place of a football only school and a non-football school. I think the AAC, with divisions, would be a nice arrangement. If DJA is on target about the schools, I could also see a slight possibility of the AAC expanding by 3 non-football schools, WSU, VCU, and Dayton. Probably strong enough that even if UConn and/or Cincy were to leave, it would still be a strong basketball conference, better than the A-10 currently.
                  The Big East absolutely would be the best conference for us. I would prefer them over anyone.

At this point, though, I don't think they're a feasible option. I think the best realistic option would be MWC or AAC, and then perhaps years down the line us and VCU might be a target when the Big East expands to 16. But that might not happen for a decade if ever.
                  Originally posted by BleacherReport
                  Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by ciaomichael View Post
                    Golf and tennis are considered team sports and played in the MVC. Also, don't forget cross country and indoor and outdoor track. In all, WSU participates in 7 mens' sports and 8 womens' sports in the MVC.
                    Golf doesn't play a round robin league schedule. They play a schedule of tournaments that is up to each school. They will occasionally face other Valley teams in these tournaments, but that is hit or miss. The Valley championship is determined by who wins the Valley tournament at the end of the regular season. This also applies to track & field and XC. Tennis does play a round-robin set of matches that determine the regular season champion in addition to a post-season tournament.

Sports that play round-robin schedules in the Valley in which WSU participates include Volleyball, Men's Basketball, Women's Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Men's Tennis and Women's Tennis.

Comment

• Did I hear coach talk after the game saying something like if we ever leave for another conference he plans to ask Marty about his gameplan etc.? Caught me off guard and makes me think we are actively pursuing another conference behind the scenes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metalkatz View Post
                        Did I hear coach talk after the game saying something like if we ever leave for another conference he plans to ask Marty about his gameplan etc.? Caught me off guard and makes me think we are actively pursuing another conference behind the scenes.
                        I didn't really read this quote as a statement that a conference change is happening. I think he mostly started to say he'd like to pick Marty's brain about basketball, but put in the caveat about if the two of them were in different conferences because he realized that they obviously would not be talking shop so long as they play each other twice a year.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• I've come to the sad conclusion that the best realignment possibility for WSU is that a couple of Valley teams raise the level of their game and provide quality competition.

Being a non-FB school in the middle of FB country is a problem. We're currently playing in the best non-FB-oriented conference remotely close to our geographical and academic footprint.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Screw it! Let's go all ND!*

1) go independent
                            2) get our own national TV network

People would beg for us, after awhile!

*WARNING: This maybe be 50% serious, 50% sarcastic
                            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              I've come to the sad conclusion that the best realignment possibility for WSU is that a couple of Valley teams raise the level of their game and provide quality competition.

Being a non-FB school in the middle of FB country is a problem. We're currently playing in the best non-FB-oriented conference remotely close to our geographical and academic footprint.
                              I agree. The best possibility would be for Bradley to improve markedly so that they are a top 25ish team every year. Keep UNI in the 50-125 RPI year after year. Hope that two additional school can go on 1-3 year runs as top 50 teams.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• I can understand the draw for the nBE for basketball, but it is not a good match for baseball.

Comment

Working...
                                X