American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
    There are schools that rent basketball venues. There are schools, even P-5 schools, that rent football stadiums. Having a city or county fund a stadium that will be owned by the university would be rare.
    True. However, if the risks can be lessened for both parties who are benefiting, would some sort of joint effort be reasonable to consider?

Comment

• Don't forget what happened to the baseball Super Regionals because of a "shared stadium". That possibility would need to be addressed as well.
      "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Thanks for the link. I finally had the time to look into it and found this link to University of Washington's request to the Washington Legislature and a Q&A from Mark Emmert (UW President at the Time) and reasoning for asking the taxpayers to foot the bill. Compelling argument.

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
          Sales tax adjusted for low or zero sales tax on food items is fair, but to say sales tax across the board applying to everything is the most fair is a little sketchy. The sales tax, when unadjusted for food and essentials, severely hurts the lowest income earners as more of their sustaining income is used to pay tax that could be used for essentials. I would say that's not fair at all.
          Yes, his post was funny. It is well known sales taxes on essentials are highly regressive.

Comment

• Isn't Lincoln's Pinnacle a city owned facility, but home to the husker's basketball team? But, that's an arena, not a stadium.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
              Isn't Lincoln's Pinnacle a city owned facility, but home to the husker's basketball team? But, that's an arena, not a stadium.
              Gray area. I think it's majority owned by the city, but I think the school owns a percentage or something. I'm not sure, though. I do know that the city of Lincoln likes all of their stuff paid for by the state, so does the school. A lot of big government, everyone else should pay for our stuff, minds in Lincoln.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• If they did allow recreational pot in doo dah and used the tax to pay for a stadium it could be named "High Plains Stadium"

Comment

• Unless this season turns around in a drastic way, please stop dropping duckets in the realignment wishing well. In major professional and college athletics, it's all about what have you done lately. If we fail to make noise this season and end up laying a fat ol' turd, rest assured, the nation will soon forget all about WSU entering the 2016-17 season and we'll have lost our luster in those conferences who had their wondering eyes on us.

Ironically, I am thanking the MVC as playing the crap teams in this conference gives us the best chance to get 23 or 24 wins and an automatic bid. Go Shox!

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                    Unless this season turns around in a drastic way, please stop dropping duckets in the realignment wishing well. In major professional and college athletics, it's all about what have you done lately. If we fail to make noise this season and end up laying a fat ol' turd, rest assured, the nation will soon forget all about WSU entering the 2016-17 season and we'll have lost our luster in those conferences who had their wondering eyes on us.

Ironically, I am thanking the MVC as playing the crap teams in this conference gives us the best chance to get 23 or 24 wins and an automatic bid. Go Shox!
                    3/10

You might catch a sucker or 2 with this one, but your Troll-Fu is weak.
                    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                    -John Wooden

Comment

• Originally posted by wu_shizzle View Post
                      3/10

You might catch a sucker or 2 with this one, but your Troll-Fu is weak.
                      I have to agree. A very weak attempt by @KCShox:. Obviously his trolling game has been softened by too much egg nog and holiday cheer.
                      ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Tulsa World:

Wichita State has recently been mentioned as a school that might be interested in moving to a new league. The Shockers are rumored by some to be exploring the possibilities in the AAC and the Mountain West (possibly as a basketball-only member).

Certainly, a Wichita State membership in the AAC would bring one of the most entertaining rivalries back to Tulsa. And, it would be even better if the Shockers would add football. That would give TU yet another regional football rival to go with SMU, Houston and Memphis.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/...4b1d35f47.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                          Tulsa World:

Wichita State has recently been mentioned as a school that might be interested in moving to a new league. The Shockers are rumored by some to be exploring the possibilities in the AAC and the Mountain West (possibly as a basketball-only member).

Certainly, a Wichita State membership in the AAC would bring one of the most entertaining rivalries back to Tulsa. And, it would be even better if the Shockers would add football. That would give TU yet another regional football rival to go with SMU, Houston and Memphis.

http://m.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/...4b1d35f47.html
                          From this article, brings two key questions:

1) Is the AAC or MWC interested in having an even number of teams (12) in basketball (and improving their conference for that sport) to match their football number? In this case, we don't need football.

2) What reason, at this time, would either conference have in WSU adding football unless they were to go to 14 or 16 teams or, more likely for the AAC, lose a school or 3? Us adding football isn't currently needed, or desired, by either conference.

But possibly having football is still interesting to talk about.

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                            Unless this season turns around in a drastic way, please stop dropping duckets in the realignment wishing well. In major professional and college athletics, it's all about what have you done lately. If we fail to make noise this season and end up laying a fat ol' turd, rest assured, the nation will soon forget all about WSU entering the 2016-17 season and we'll have lost our luster in those conferences who had their wondering eyes on us.

I'm glad your predictions and instincts are always spot on. This gives me hope.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I really think we are done with the MVC. Football or not, I think this new conversation lately is going somewhere. I remember how fast creighton went from talking about it to being gone. I think if there is an interested party between the AAC or the MWC, we are gone.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                                From this article, brings two key questions:

1) Is the AAC or MWC interested in having an even number of teams (12) in basketball (and improving their conference for that sport) to match their football number? In this case, we don't need football.

2) What reason, at this time, would either conference have in WSU adding football unless they were to go to 14 or 16 teams or, more likely for the AAC, lose a school or 3? Us adding football isn't currently needed, or desired, by either conference.

But possibly having football is still interesting to talk about.
                                Well, neither conference has been in a big hurry to add a basketball only member. And based on published interviews I have seen, both commissioners seem to be, at best, non-committal (MWC) to opposed (AAC) to adding a basketball only school.

Even if WSU had football I don't think the MWC has much interest in WSU. Recent media reports have Rice and UTEP going to the MWC. The AAC may be in a different situation with one or two schools going to the Big 12.
                                Last edited by Shocker-maniac; December 30, 2015, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X