American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    I agree. Then you also have schools like Tulsa and Houston that I'd think have the potential to at least be competitive down the road and help add to the strength. It could be a solid basketball conference for sure. I'm not sure who the 3rd basketball school would be though.
    I know they're all there together with VCU, but I'd say George Mason or Richmond. FGCU might not be a bad choice either as they are "trendy" right now, being added to the AAC would give cred, and another close member for the 2 Florida schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snapshot9 View Post
      I wouldn't get too excited, ADES seems to be more of a status quo type person than an innovator. Even if we did make a move, it would probably be below everyone's expectations, much like Elgin adding Loyola.
      I think everyone knows our options in no particular order are:

1. Stay in MVC
      2. A-10
      3. AAC
      4. MWC
      5. BEast

If any of those 5 happened it wouldn't be below expectations. The only thing I can think of that would be below expectations would be to join the Horizon as the replacement for Loyola.

Comment

• Option 1 is definitely below expectations and ensures that we are headed to the shitter in the long term.

This is our chance. Blow it and we're relegated to the recycling bin of relevance in 25 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
          Option 1 is definitely below expectations and ensures that we are headed to the shitter in the long term.

This is our chance. Blow it and we're relegated to the recycling bin of relevance in 25 years.
          I dont think its going to take 25 years, maybe 5. I still think were heading to a div 1 and div 1AA for mens basketball. We need to solidfy our position and get the heck out of the MVC. Im afraid the MVC is going to be on the wrong side of the cut line.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
            I know they're all there together with VCU, but I'd say George Mason or Richmond. FGCU might not be a bad choice either as they are "trendy" right now, being added to the AAC would give cred, and another close member for the 2 Florida schools.
            What other members are close for the Florida schools? This is about the best I can come up with, along with 2012 attendance just as a quick aside:

Mississipi: Southern Miss (3700)
            Alabama: Southern Alabama (2300), Troy (1700), UAB (4500)
            Georgia: Mercer (3300), Kennesaw State (1300)
            South Carolina: South Carolina Upstate (695)
            Florida: FGCU (1700), Florida Atlantic (2200), FIU (1000)

Pretty slim pickings down there for another team. Southern Miss is a good team. FGCU is the biggest name right now, but unproven and with a new coach. UAB is usually solid. Southern Miss or UAB would be my pick, but neither is big. Football might be an issue with both Southern Miss and UAB, though.
            Last edited by Rlh04d; April 18, 2013, 08:22 PM.
            Originally posted by BleacherReport
            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Other schools that could be the last member after VCU and WSU are
              Davidson
              Collage of Charleston
              St. Louis
              southern Illinois
              Bradley
              Missouri State
              Dayton
              All of these school fit geographically speaking

Comment

• Originally posted by 12eagle View Post
                Other schools that could be the last member after VCU and WSU are
                Davidson
                Collage of Charleston
                St. Louis
                southern Illinois
                Bradley
                Missouri State
                Dayton
                All of these school fit geographically speaking
                Loyola??? :D
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• What about Conference USA? They have talked about going to 16 and an 8 team western division of USM/UAB, UTEP/UTSA, Rice/LaTech, UNT/WSU would set up pretty nice. East would be FAU/FIU, WKU/MTSA, Marshall/Charlotte, and Old Dominion/?James Madison?)

Would have a easier time bringing back football with a conference behind you.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay2000 View Post
                    What about Conference USA? They have talked about going to 16 and an 8 team western division of USM/UAB, UTEP/UTSA, Rice/LaTech, UNT/WSU would set up pretty nice. East would be FAU/FIU, WKU/MTSA, Marshall/Charlotte, and Old Dominion/?James Madison?)

Would have a easier time bringing back football with a conference behind you.
                    CUSA would be a huge mistake. That's a giant step down from the MVC even.
                    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• Well, if WSU has any desire to be part of the AAC (i.e., the non-Catholic remnant of the Big East), they could always put in a bid to have the basketball tournament held in Wichita. Seems like a geographic mismatch to me, but I know we've had folks speculating about it.

Comment

• First time poster here. The Seton Hall AD recently stated that the Big East (new) will go to 12 teams. Do you think the WSU administration is lobbying for one of those additional spots? Any realistic expection that WSU might be part of that expansion?

Comment

• Originally posted by matter_of_fact View Post
                          First time poster here. The Seton Hall AD recently stated that the Big East (new) will go to 12 teams. Do you think the WSU administration is lobbying for one of those additional spots? Any realistic expection that WSU might be part of that expansion?
                          Most people believe that St. Louis and Dayton would be the two added if indeed the Big East does move to 12. They don't appear to have any interest in adding a public university, so there isn't much chance of WSU landing there.
                          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by matter_of_fact View Post
                            First time poster here. The Seton Hall AD recently stated that the Big East (new) will go to 12 teams. Do you think the WSU administration is lobbying for one of those additional spots? Any realistic expection that WSU might be part of that expansion?
                            Not likely. Two "sister" schools, Dayton and St Louis, would be expected. Only way WSU would be a part of the Big East is if VCU would also be added, both public schools (and better programs IMO).

Edit: You're just too fast Hatter.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                              Not likely. Two "sister" schools, Dayton and St Louis, would be expected. Only way WSU would be a part of the Big East is if VCU would also be added, both public schools (and better programs IMO).

Edit: You're just too fast Hatter.
                              Yeah. I think WSU and VCU might be included if they went to 14, but I don't really see that happening.
                              Originally posted by BleacherReport
                              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Some interesting facts....

Comment

Working...
                                X