No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought we debunked the weak-team-w/no viewership-in-big-tv-market myth a few pages back for basketball conferences. It is financial suicide and the Horizon's "tv package" bares that out (they have an absolute lockdown on crap teams in the biggest midwestern cities, no one watches, no one cares).

This isn't football where Rutgers has serious value because they bring the NYC market into play as the only area football school. One basketball NCAA bid brings in somewhere between 500-1000% more revenue per year than adding a tertiary team in a large market does.
    Last edited by Guest; December 22, 2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• I hope ES has a plan for the departure of Creighton because it's going to happen. I don't see a comparable replacement for the league either. Too bad we can't join the Mountain West.

Comment

• Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
        I hope ES has a plan for the departure of Creighton because it's going to happen. I don't see a comparable replacement for the league either. Too bad we can't join the Mountain West.
        The MVC can't replace CU or WSU if they were to leave. We'd probably add ORU, solid, but nothing special.

I hope he's at least had some talk to people within the MWC about filling the "hole" that Hawaii creates. I'd love the MWC with New Mexico and UNLV. Even better if SDSU comes back and USU gets back to where they were. And I think CSU will probably keep improving. Much better than what the MVC will have
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Coach Morrill is still there, the fans are there, they will get back.

Comment

• There is no way I can think of where our entire athletic program can join a west or east coast based conference. How would our athletic department afford the road trips for all the non-revenue sports?

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
              There is no way I can think of where our entire athletic program can join a west or east coast based conference. How would our athletic department afford the road trips for all the non-revenue sports?
              More television money and NCAA money. That's how. The MVC gets next to nothing for TV and NCAA credits haven't been all that great. Get in a conference that's going to constantly be getting 3, 4 or 5 in and with teams that can win games, and there's more money to be had there.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• How would the MWC split the dollars with the non football school?
                In the fast lane

Comment

• What we really need is some magic. We need a handful of good options to somehow open up that are local. Nothing that could really be foreseen. All of the foreseeable options suck.

Mwc? I doubt it.
                  Making it into the conference on 7 hills? I doubt it.
                  Getting left in the mvc? Probably.
                  Having a handful of options open up of schools looking for a lifeline in the midst of realignment? Please let there be some good schools looking for a home and things might not be so bad...although I have every reason to believe we will just plug umkc into the valley and watch it tank.

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                    How would the MWC split the dollars with the non football school?
                    TV money would be a percentage. Not an even split because we wouldn't be participating in football. I believe the BE split it 70/30 or something like that. Obviously we wouldn't commit to it if the money wasn't going to be there. But the MWC with a return from Boise would have a much higher payout than they currently have. Add to that a basketball conference that had SDSU, UNLV, UNM, USU, AFA and WSU and there's a shot at some intrigue there as it's a strong conference with some schools with good reputations.

I'd expect the payout of the C7 to probably be better for a basketball only school, but that's a long shot for us at best. They'd pretty much have to go to 16 for us to get a chance. Unless they really want VCU and wanted another public with them.

Most likely, we're stuck paying for every athletic program in the MVC.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                      There is no way I can think of where our entire athletic program can join a west or east coast based conference. How would our athletic department afford the road trips for all the non-revenue sports?
                      It would have to be a 16 team conference with an eastern division. Maybe something with Tulsa, SMU, Houston, UTEP, CSU, Wyoming, AFA and Wichita (New Mexico slide over to the West for all sports in Hawaii's place while playing football in the east division?). Certainly would have to be a division scenario but could work out quite well. I do believe this is just some fans dreams and will NEVER happen.

Wichita to Cheyenne 610 miles, Wichita to Evansville 610 miles

Wichita to Colorado Springs 503 miles, Wichita to Carbondale 549 miles

Wichita to Dallas 363, Wichita to Des Moines 390

Wichita to Houston 602, Wichita to Terre Haute 606

Wichita to Fort Collins 573, Wichita to Peoria 579

Wichita to Tulsa 177, Wichita to Springfield 256

Wichita to El Paso is a long azz way so really nothing to compare to.

Comment

• A discussion of Wichita State and realignment:

BigEastbbs: The #1 Board for Big East Conference sports on the internet.
                        In the fast lane

Comment

• Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
                          A discussion of Wichita State and realignment:

http://csnbbs.com/showthread.php?tid=608810
                          Loved the point made that with all these injuries, if this team makes the dance, Marshall should be considered for coach of the year. That's no stretch. We might be watching a very special season...

Comment

• Our geography kills.
                            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Boise State rejoins the MWC as the BE continues to crumble.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ixiah View Post
                                Boise State rejoins the MWC as the BE continues to crumble.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...conference-all
                                Also noted here: http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...-Up-2.0/page27

Comment

Working...
                                X