No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't understand why we are piling on the guy from Memphis. Sure some of his information is debatable but no reason to run him off the board. I think his intent was good--he was expressing a desire for WSU to join his league--it's a compliment. I for one would be thrilled to go to the MWC, the BE, or the AAC, probably in that order but any would be way above where we are now. So fans from those leagues expressing interest I am happy about and I will cut them some slack.
    Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

• Originally posted by MadaboutWu View Post
      I don't understand why we are piling on the guy from Memphis. Sure some of his information is debatable but no reason to run him off the board. I think his intent was good--he was expressing a desire for WSU to join his league--it's a compliment. I for one would be thrilled to go to the MWC, the BE, or the AAC, probably in that order but any would be way above where we are now. So fans from those leagues expressing interest I am happy about and I will cut them some slack.
      If the glove don't fit, you must acquit.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• I think that if someone were to say we coukd have a 6-7 win FB team that drew 25-30k per game and would always be financially solvent, we would take it and run.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

I don't understand why we are piling on the guy from Memphis. Sure some of his information is debatable but no reason to run him off the board. I think his intent was good--he was expressing a desire for WSU to join his league--it's a compliment. I for one would be thrilled to go to the MWC, the BE, or the AAC, probably in that order but any would be way above where we are now. So fans from those leagues expressing interest I am happy about and I will cut them some slack.
          I agree about cutting him some slack, but we are actually his second choice. He really wants VCU.
          In the fast lane

Comment

• I just get tired of the revisionist history you see on message boards that fault the basketball schools for the destruction when they were the only thing keeping it remotely stable. But that thought process is strong enough that it may keep a conference like the MWC from adding some nonfootball schools.

And I also think it's hilarious that a fan from a school like Memphis, who's never play a minute of anything in the Big East, talks like they were a part of everything that had been going on there the past 10+ years. And it's not just this Memphis fan. There have been fans on other boards that are worse about it. It's simply annoying to me.

And lets not act like we treat all fans of other teams/conferences like this. We've had some very good discussions with some MWC fans and I've had good convos with members of both the BE and AAC about things.

And to be honest, if we were going to join a conference with football, I'd prefer have at least 2 or 3 other nonfootball schools with us. As a group we still wouldn't carry much weight I'm sure, but I think it'd be better "politically" within the conference than being the only one. Although, part of joining such a conference there could be certain guarantees worked out before actually joining that could negate some of the potential abuse of being the only one.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SirShoxAlot View Post
              Or you could just go to a Final Four…

WITHOUT getting it revoked.
              Guess you haven't heard about our 1973 final four...

Comment

• Originally posted by lostshocker View Post
                way to shoot for the stars. guess there is always graceland to visit on saturdays. with goals like that, kind of surprised you still have a team.
                We're not shooting for stars...we're shooting for $$$

And Graceland? It's a tourist trap like Corkys or Rendezvous

Comment

I'd like to see either VCU or WSU get the 12th spot to offset Navy football.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    I just get tired of the revisionist history you see on message boards that fault the basketball schools for the destruction when they were the only thing keeping it remotely stable. But that thought process is strong enough that it may keep a conference like the MWC from adding some nonfootball schools.

And I also think it's hilarious that a fan from a school like Memphis, who's never play a minute of anything in the Big East, talks like they were a part of everything that had been going on there the past 10+ years. And it's not just this Memphis fan. There have been fans on other boards that are worse about it. It's simply annoying to me.

And lets not act like we treat all fans of other teams/conferences like this. We've had some very good discussions with some MWC fans and I've had good convos with members of both the BE and AAC about things.

And to be honest, if we were going to join a conference with football, I'd prefer have at least 2 or 3 other nonfootball schools with us. As a group we still wouldn't carry much weight I'm sure, but I think it'd be better "politically" within the conference than being the only one. Although, part of joining such a conference there could be certain guarantees worked out before actually joining that could negate some of the potential abuse of being the only one.
                    We've been watching the BE like a hawk since 2003 when it came down to Memphis or USF to go to the BE...but hey, if you want to disagree, it doesn't matter o me.

Comment

• Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post
                      that is correct...they chose to leave the Big East...that's why the AAC keeps the AQ bid as the legal predecessor to the Big East...we essentially sold them the BE name since we needed the money, and they wanted the name.
                      I'm not talking about legal ownership. I'm talking about 7 teams that founded the old Big East are in the new Big East. Three late comers to the Big East are left in the new AAC. You can have the LEGAL rights to the AQ bid all you want, but they ARE the Big East, and you are certainly not. You are Conference USA with three new members and a new name. If Wichita State joined the ACC, and a month later every single team in the ACC left and formed a new conference, we would be able to fill the ACC up with whoever we wanted legally ... but no one would be fooled into thinking that was actually the ACC.

the C7 brought it on themselves when they started football in 1991...IMHO the BE and AAC are stronger together than apart...but it's over...they went their way...we went ours.
                      Great. So we're in agreement that football is to blame for the Big East's fall. As for your humble opinion, the TV networks clearly believed that the New Big East was stronger, in terms of contract dollars, separate than together.

we sacrificed money for exposure with our new ESPN contract knowing we would have 100 million dollars to divide up over the next 5 years...UConn, Cincy, USF will make 5.86 million per year over the next 5 years (TV money + NCAA credits/exit fees) the new schools will make 2.86 million per year over the next 5 years (TV money + NCAA credits/exit fees) which is 3X what we got in CUSA.
                      You sacrificed money because your conference sucks. The new Big East makes significantly more money than you despite having significantly less product to sell (no football). Your football and basketball together are worth less than just their basketball. Great for you guys that it's more than you got in the CUSA ... but you're still nowhere near the level of the Big East that was. You're somewhere in between the two ... considerably worse than the BE was, but better than CUSA was. Because you added a few good Big East programs. If you had added Cinci, USF, and UConn to CUSA, you'd probably make the same amount of money.

riiight...last I looked we're coming off a 31 win season...we've won 243 games the last 8 seasons or 30.4 wins per season...with NCAAs 7 of the 8 years.
                      I have no idea how you're seriously thinking I was discussing Memphis, considering I hadn't mentioned Memphis as an institution once. Your CONFERENCE is not relevant in either football or basketball now. Before, you were a mediocre football conference and an excellent basketball conference. Now you're a mediocre basketball conference and a bad football conference. And, laughably, your conference's intention is to NOT follow the pattern of the real Big East -- utilizing an excellent basketball product to build a conference identity and parlay that name value into a solid football conference -- but instead to follow Conference USA's efforts to focus on football to the exclusion of basketball, despite having years and years of failure at breaking through in football. You will continue to keep making the same mistakes you made in Conference USA, and that's why the AAC will never be more than that. Cinci and UConn will be gone in a couple of years and your TV contract will adjust accordingly.
                      Last edited by Rlh04d; July 8, 2013, 09:00 PM.
                      Originally posted by BleacherReport
                      Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

You should go back and check out this line of his:

Originally posted by UofMemphis
                        Lol...I won't be lectured by WSU fans...we may or may not want ONE Olympic sports member to offset Navy in 2015...but no more than one.
                        That was the point where I completely lost interest in him. He is not being complimentary. He clearly believes that Memphis being in the AAC makes him superior to any WSU fans, and his participation here is a "kiss the ring" scenario.
                        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                          You should go back and check out this line of his:

That was the point where I completely lost interest in him. He is not being complimentary. He clearly believes that Memphis being in the AAC makes him superior to any WSU fans, and his participation here is a "kiss the ring" scenario.
                          God, call the whaaambulance

Comment

Never saw that meme ever before. Very clever.
                            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                              Never saw that meme ever before. Very clever.
                              I'm not surprised. This guy has brought little, if anything, to this board.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

"thank you for your opinion."

Might want to re-read that if you think I'm whining. I'm just pointing out why several people here have already noticed that you're an arrogant *****, and why you aren't being unfairly picked on. Thanks, though, for making it even more obvious.

Enjoy football season! Maybe you'll make a bowl this year!
                                Last edited by Rlh04d; July 8, 2013, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X