American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    I mean. It's not my cup of tea. And I feel pretty strongly that there was a $500k-size hole in the baseball program it could have been thrown in, but what do I know.
    The lighting upgrade was paid for out of WSU's Physical Plant fund, which is used to build, maintain, and upgrade facilities owned by the University.
    Many public entities are switching to LED's because of the savings in bulb replacement and energy usage. The City of Wichita has switched many (if not most) street lights to LED's.

The change in lighting at CKA is for more than just any pre-game enhancements that are possible. My understanding is that the court will be brighter, and the lighting in the crowd will be lowered. That may improve the lighting for television, but I don't recall reading anything to that effect. I do believe it was reported that the electrical wiring in the roof was not replaced during the renovations and that wiring was fairly old.

Pre-game "enhancements" that couldn't be done before are now possible, but that may have been very low on the list of priorities for doing the lighting upgrade.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      The lighting upgrade was paid for out of WSU's Physical Plant fund, which is used to build, maintain, and upgrade facilities owned by the University.
      Many public entities are switching to LED's because of the savings in bulb replacement and energy usage. The City of Wichita has switched many (if not most) street lights to LED's.

The change in lighting at CKA is for more than just any pre-game enhancements that are possible. My understanding is that the court will be brighter, and the lighting in the crowd will be lowered. That may improve the lighting for television, but I don't recall reading anything to that effect. I do believe it was reported that the electrical wiring in the roof was not replaced during the renovations and that wiring was fairly old.

Pre-game "enhancements" that couldn't be done before are now possible, but that may have been very low on the list of priorities for doing the lighting upgrade.
      Yes, I also read the article. And it seems like a fine thing to happen. I just don't like that something cosmetic like this is happening while we have a gigantic problem with the baseball program that needs addressed.

Comment

• Traveling this weekend and currently in the Houston airport for a layover. Passed a sign for University of Houston and it was pretty cool to say "Hello new conference mate". We made it through this long transition period.
        Three things in life are constant- death, taxes, and Creighton losing in the first weekend of the tournament.

AAC or Bust!

Comment

Yes, I also read the article. And it seems like a fine thing to happen. I just don't like that something cosmetic like this is happening while we have a gigantic problem with the baseball program that needs addressed.
          Solving the baseball situation requires Athletic Department funds.

Considering that the AD borrowed the $2.5 mill to join the AAC, forfeited over $700,000 of NCAA shares, doesn't get to participate in AAC NCAA shares until they have earned some, doesn't get to share AAC media revenues until the next GoR is executed (2019??), will lose the $250,000 they get from Cox for third-tier broadcast rights, and will have an additional $900,000 in travel costs every year. the Athletic Department is a little tight on funds.

The money for the lighting did not come from any Athletic Department funds. You can't use funds in an account restricted to maintenance of buildings to buy out a coaching contract.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Considering that the AD borrowed the $2.5 mill to join the AAC, forfeited over $700,000 of NCAA shares, doesn't get to participate in AAC NCAA shares until they have earned some, doesn't get to share AAC media revenues until the next GoR is executed (2019??), will lose the $250,000 they get from Cox for third-tier broadcast rights, and will have an additional $900,000 in travel costs every year. the Athletic Department is a little tight on funds.

The money for the lighting did not come from any Athletic Department funds. You can't use funds in an account restricted to maintenance of buildings to buy out a coaching contract.
            Money shmoney. Collegiate athletic funding is all a gigantic shell game.

Comment

Great timing for basketball. Horrible timing for baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFan87 View Post
                Traveling this weekend and currently in the Houston airport for a layover. Passed a sign for University of Houston and it was pretty cool to say "Hello new conference mate". We made it through this long transition period.
                Speaking of signs, there is supposed to be one on Kellogg from the AAC welcoming WSU today. Don't get into a wreck, but would love if someone can post a pic.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I think there is a lot more to the uprage in lighting systems at Koch Arena than cosmetics. Was the old systme pretty much a legacy system or did they change any of that out in the Koch remodel? It is cleary old and outdated lighting technology. Not only should the lighting be improved, more utiitarian and more efficient but maintenance should be much cheaper and easier since the new system can be lowered to the floor instead of bringing in lifts to get workers raised to the ceiling.

However, if you want something legitimate to ***** and moan about vis-a-vis Shocker baseball then, IMHO, that would be the $1.2 million spent on the new baseball scoreboard in 2015. That seems to be purely cosmetic and in terms of utility I liked the old scoreboard better. At least that's my big target to ***** and moan about.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 30, 2017, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      I think there is a lot more to the upraged in lighting systems at Koch Arena. Was the old systme pretty much a legacy system or did they change any of that out in the Koch remodel? It is clearyl old and outdated lighting technology. Not only should the lighting be improved, more utiitarian and more efficient maintenance should be much chearper and easier since the new system can be lowered to the floor instead of bring in lifts to get workers raised to the ceiling.

However, if you want something legitimate to ***** and moan about vis-a-vis Shocker baseball then, IMHO, that would be the $1.2 million spent on the new baseball scoreboard in 2015. That seems to be purely cosmetice and terms of utility I liked the old scoreboard better.
                      I don't disagree about upgrading the lighting. I just don't enjoy the optics of it juxtaposed against keeping a terrible coach another year. I don't disagree about the scoreboard either.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                        If this is the sign the AAC put up on Kellogg, this season is going to be a hell of a lot of fun. I like their style!

Comment

• Matching ambitions.

Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                            Perfect marriage. As a UCONN fan (and a general college sports fan), this is the one conference realignment move that I have supported 100%. Welcome Shocker nation. Very happy to be aligned with you.

Comment

• Less than 2 hours before it's official. Hello July and hello AAC. Now if I can get these dang kids down the street to quit launching fireworks.

Comment

• Originally posted by wheathead View Post
                                Less than 2 hours before it's official. Hello July and hello AAC. Now if I can get these dang kids down the street to quit launching fireworks.
                                🏀🇺🇸🏀🇺🇸🏀🇺🇸🏀🇺🇸🏀
                                SHOCKERS & AWE

"Go Ahead, Try To Jinx Us" ~ The Monsters Of The Midwest

"Wichita State fans bring the noise to another level. The roar
                                gets into your skull, giving you a mild case of vertigo."

Comment

Working...
                                X