No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yea I think with a Coach like Marshall, Dropping to top 50 would be the worst case scenario.

Coach Cronin is very much the same kinda of coach in that, he can lose 5 guys and yet always have a floor of being a top 50 team because of how hard he makes his kids play and how he relies on defense.

Offense is just now becoming a thing for UC. We've been to 7 straight tournaments and never once had a top 40 offense until last season. If you can get guys to play harder and teach them to defend as a team and buy into defending, you can hang with any team in the country. And I think Marshall is the same kind of coach. He has a very high floor no matter the talent on his team and then the more offensive talent he adds to the roster, the higher the ceiling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Justinhub2003 View Post
      Im just glad they were able to work out WSU going to the AAC right away. A lot of times, there is a 1 or 2 year waiting period between the move. In this case, with all the talent WSU returns, it just great they made it happen right away.

That said, If Shamet leaves for the NBA and WSU graduates 5 seniors ( i think its 5); do WSU fans expect there to be a pretty big drop off from this year to next? Like would they still be a top 25 team is more the question as I know having back to back top 10 teams is hard for anyone not a blue blood
      My expectations are no drop off because HCGM's success has less to do with talent and more to do with buy-in to his system. Fans want the respect of the Blue Bloods but very much appreciate/support the Blue Collar efforts that Marshall demands.

I don't anticipate a drop-off because:
      1) The talent gap to bridge is already smaller based on the higher level of beginning talent coming in.

2) HCGM doesn't recruit talent alone but looks for a quality of player conducive to his style of coaching.

Comment

• Next season is a crap shoot. Worst case scenario, Shamet and McDuffie both go pro and both R. Brown and Mitgaard redshirt this year. That leaves only Keyser and Reaves as returning players that have any D1 experience. Under this scenario, I can see next year as being fairly rocky.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
          Next season is a crap shoot. Worst case scenario, Shamet and McDuffie both go pro and both R. Brown and Mitgaard redshirt this year. That leaves only Keyser and Reaves as returning players that have any D1 experience. Under this scenario, I can see next year as being fairly rocky.
          SHJ would also have a year of experience...
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
            SHJ would also have a year of experience...
            right, he could be an important bridge. We're gonna need our young bigs to step up and be ready.

Comment

• Replacing the talent will probably not be as big an issue as replacing the experience of the talent that is leaving and IMHO experience counts (quite a bit).

Comment

• Originally posted by Justinhub2003 View Post
                Yea I think with a Coach like Marshall, Dropping to top 50 would be the worst case scenario.

Coach Cronin is very much the same kinda of coach in that, he can lose 5 guys and yet always have a floor of being a top 50 team because of how hard he makes his kids play and how he relies on defense.

Offense is just now becoming a thing for UC. We've been to 7 straight tournaments and never once had a top 40 offense until last season. If you can get guys to play harder and teach them to defend as a team and buy into defending, you can hang with any team in the country. And I think Marshall is the same kind of coach. He has a very high floor no matter the talent on his team and then the more offensive talent he adds to the roster, the higher the ceiling.
                Good observation. I will add that Marshall's teams usually display offensive poise and execution every bit the equal to that of the D. They like to get out and run too, given the opportunity. That part of his sideline leadership doesn't get much press.

Comment

• TBH, I highly doubt McDuffie and Shamet go pro. Yes they are good. But I still think they have a lot to prove. This is the Rob Baker and Fred VanVleet of this season. When they were juniors, they both looked into pro opportunities, but decided to stay for their senior season. I really hope they stay!

Comment

• Next year's starters:

1 - Shamet - R Jr
                    2 - Reaves - Jr
                    3 - R Brown - R Fr
                    4 - McDuffie - Sr
                    5 - Midtgaard - So

That's about the amount of experience that most team's tend to have in their starting lineups. Some people worry too much.

Neither Shamet nor McDuffie are likely to leave without a degree or some fairly solid assurances of getting a guaranteed contract. I don't think either one of them can get that after this year.

I'm still projecting R Brown as a red shirt this year. That depends, to a certain extent, on Kelly's ability to fill some minutes at SF. If R Brown can beat out Kelly for backing Z Brown, then we're in solid shape until McDuffie returns. I don't think R Brown can do that, so give him the shirt.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock’em Markley View Post
                      TBH, I highly doubt McDuffie and Shamet go pro. Yes they are good. But I still think they have a lot to prove. This is the Rob Baker and Fred VanVleet of this season. When they were juniors, they both looked into pro opportunities, but decided to stay for their senior season. I really hope they stay!
                      If either of them are projected first round (mid) ... they should go. I don't see McDuffie getting there this year, but Shamet probably will be. Both have more raw talent/size/athleticism than Fred or Ron. Fred and Ron just were elite with all the intangibles which the draft doesn't value.

Comment

• I think Shamet goes pro. He got better as the year went along and gave UK’s Fox all he wanted in the tourney.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Im more worried about Shamet going pro than mcduffie.

Shamet just looked sooo good late last year. Nails from 3, big body point guard...

If he projects as a first rounder by enough people, I think hes gotta go. Especially given his injuries in college. If he is healthy, really is a no brainer.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• We need Shamet fully healthy and playing at 100% to compete for a NC. If he is 100% ask year, don't think he'll be here next year.

We need Shamet less than 100% and struggling to get him back next year, IMO.

I'll take the former.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              Next year's starters:

1 - Shamet - R Jr
                              2 - Reaves - Jr
                              3 - R Brown - R Fr
                              4 - McDuffie - Sr
                              5 - Midtgaard - So

That's about the amount of experience that most team's tend to have in their starting lineups. Some people worry too much.

Neither Shamet nor McDuffie are likely to leave without a degree or some fairly solid assurances of getting a guaranteed contract. I don't think either one of them can get that after this year.

I'm still projecting R Brown as a red shirt this year. That depends, to a certain extent, on Kelly's ability to fill some minutes at SF. If R Brown can beat out Kelly for backing Z Brown, then we're in solid shape until McDuffie returns. I don't think R Brown can do that, so give him the shirt.
                              I don't see Kelly playing even 1 minute at the 3. He never has and I seriously doubt he starts now. I see him sharing the 4 with Willis early on. It will be interesting to see how things are shuffled around when McDuffie returns. Reaves may play a little 3 if R. Brown isn't ready and we also have Keyser.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                                Next year's starters:

1 - Shamet - R Jr
                                2 - Reaves - Jr
                                3 - R Brown - R Fr
                                4 - McDuffie - Sr
                                5 - Midtgaard - So

IMO if Aargh's predicted starting five coupled with the returning reserves and recruits, the Shockers will certainly be a Top 25 team with another deep run in the NCAA tourney to be expected/anticipated.

Comment

Working...
                                X