Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Things and AD should be judged on (just starting a list here):
    1. Fundraising - His one bright spot that we've been told. I don't know the numbers but don't question that.
    2. Attracting/Maintaining good coaches - He's made one hire that I can recall. We'll wait and see how softball goes. Don't know how much I put into maintaining good coaches when it's a no-brainer thing to do.
    3. Running clean and successful athletic programs - Duh. But he also inherited this. But it appears he's maintained it too
    4. Replacing bad coaches/improving underperforming programs - Baseball will be what defines him in the long run. Something desperately needs to be done there.
    5. Facilities improvements - Not a lot that can be done here really as most of our facilities have gone through improvements in the last decade. Minor things here and there I suppose. Don't see anything drastic taking place.

I'm not sure how high up the list public speaking is, but I would say these are the top five priorities. Anyone want to add/edit or comment on how he's doing in these areas?
    I'm not saying public speaking is high on the list. But as a public figure, you need public speaking skills. Whenever he's been interviewed, I cringe. That's the face of the athletic department and the lack of ability there will make people wonder how good he really is at getting messages across. Even behind the scenes. And with Sexton, about all we here is the few times he does any speaking. Perhaps there is more out there about him/from him. I haven't seen much.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
      Sub, you used the word insane, not me.
      And I explained it. Move on.
      You are making the claim of deficiencies of Sexton. I am simply asking for some back-up for those assertions, concerns and thoughts and you have none. None.
      How did I go from one to none? You still haven't provided one.

Exactly what thoughts have you provided on the subject? Any other than you just don't seem to have a good feel for Sexton.
      Exactly what thoughts have you provide on the subject? Any other than you just seem to have a good feel for Sexton.

As for the positives about his tenure, several were listed in this thread, yet you still didn't give him any credit.
      Where? Have I simply missed them? Why don't you lay them out for me?

If you have a firm thought on the subject, defend those points of views and stop being so defensive when you are challenged.
      I've told you I'm fairly indifferent. Just don't like the attacks from those who can't seem to point out the positives they claim are there. They want evidence of why people are concerned but don't really give evidence to why nobody should have any concerns. I love the one way street approach to all of this.

The way you are trying to turn this issue is pure silliness. Prove to me you don't beat your wife.
      That's low by anybody's standards. When you resort to that, you become someone who isn't worth listening to. Well done sir.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• He's not married............

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
          He's not married............
          I'm not. But that's still a pretty asshole like thing to say to anybody on here.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I thought he was dating Jenn Bates?!? And Kudos to him. She seems like a classy lady----pretty, loves sports, great smile, polished, and very nice = tough to beat (sorry pun intended)

Speaking of Jenn (nice seque), will she be taking on more roles at KWCH now that Bruce is moving to Tulsa? I think she does a GREAT job. One of the best!!!
            Last edited by Veritas; April 9, 2013, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
              Things and AD should be judged on (just starting a list here):
              1. Fundraising
              2. Attracting/Maintaining good coaches
              3. Running clean and successful athletic programs
              4. Replacing bad coaches/improving underperforming programs
              5. Facilities improvements

I'm not sure how high up the list public speaking is, but I would say these are the top five priorities. Anyone want to add/edit or comment on how he's doing in these areas?
              1. C+ OR B-
              2. Attracting = C Retaining = A
              3. B
              4. C or D
              5. C

Comment

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                1. C+ OR B-
                2. Attracting = C Retaining = A
                3. B
                4. C or D
                5. C
                I can't argue with that.

1. I have no idea how fundraising has gone. As stated, that was supposed to be his strong point when hired.
                2. He's only made one hire that I can recall. (softballl) Retaining shouldn't be too difficult but nobody of importance has bolted. I'd think Lamb would be the biggest concern.
                3. We've been clean for a long time. He didn't have to clean things up. No complaints.
                4. Surpised we still have the same baseball coach. Things have been trending down for awhile now.
                5. Hard to judge as everything has been improved already. Minor things here and there could be done and sounds like will be. Nothing to hang your hat on though.

If someone can say more about these five items that'd be great. But as it is, there's not much to point to one way or the other and that's why there's such a split on how people view him. Judging by the above rankings by Veritas, it appears he'd have about a C average. Maybe C+.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  I can't argue with that.

1. I have no idea how fundraising has gone. As stated, that was supposed to be his strong point when hired.
                  2. He's only made one hire that I can recall. (softballl) Retaining shouldn't be too difficult but nobody of importance has bolted. I'd think Lamb would be the biggest concern.
                  3. We've been clean for a long time. He didn't have to clean things up. No complaints.
                  4. Surpised we still have the same baseball coach. Things have been trending down for awhile now.
                  5. Hard to judge as everything has been improved already. Minor things here and there could be done and sounds like will be. Nothing to hang your hat on though.

If someone can say more about these five items that'd be great. But as it is, there's not much to point to one way or the other and that's why there's such a split on how people view him. Judging by the above rankings by Veritas, it appears he'd have about a C average. Maybe C+.
                  I think not enough credit is given here for keeping Marshall and/or Lamb. Not sure why he's graded low for fundraising since the department is in the black and making all the improvements/raises they need to. I also think he deserves some serious credit for the changes in the marketing department over the last 2 years.

I think what it really comes down to is Gene, which I get. That is a really tough situation. Firing a legend is risky business though. I've been a Stephenson supporter whose patience is beginning to wear thin. I do think people put too little weight on the recent Supers and the change in landscape in college baseball. I think we can agree that ultimately Sexton will be graded on 3 things:
                  1. What happens if Marshall leaves.
                  2. What happens to the baseball program.
                  3. What happens with conference realignment.

Until then we're just arguing about a bunch of crap that hasn't happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    That's low by anybody's standards. When you resort to that, you become someone who isn't worth listening to. Well done sir.
                    "Prove to me you that you don't beat your wife" is a common phrase used to demonstrate an argumentative falacy, Sub. It's a loaded question that falsely assumes the accusation and leaves the respondent with no real way to answer it.

You're struggling here.

The fact is that there is absolutely NO evidence that Sexton is a bad AD, or even an underperforming good AD, so this discussion even existing lends proof to the notion that there are people with a bone to pick.

In the wake of the evident success this program has had, the burden is on the detractors to prove something negative about Sexton. The supporters don't even have to say a word until they do.
                    The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

• I'm pretty sure that Jenn Bates would kick his Towanda azz............

Comment

I'm pretty sure that Jenn Bates would kick his Towanda azz............
                        You're obsessed with Towanda. I've never lived there :P
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                          "Prove to me you that you don't beat your wife" is a common phrase used to demonstrate an argumentative falacy, Sub. It's a loaded question that falsely assumes the accusation and leaves the respondent with no real way to answer it.
                          I'm surprised I've never seen something that's so common. I still think it's a dumbass comment.

So your argument is that a successful program has stayed successful so therefore he is perfect for the job and nobody should have any worries?

I do think retaining coaches is an important thing. I'm just not sure how big of a deal it really is in this situation. WSU has shown it has the money to compete. That goes back even before Sexton was hired. 3G has shown the willingness to not jump from job to job which makes that a little easier. That's why I don't give it bonus points.

As far as Lamb goes, I don't know near as much about him or his desires or what is required to keep him around.

Stephenson is a big issue. And as I've said, that's the first real thing we'll see from Sexton one way or the other.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Don't go there. The Towanda women would beat you up.

Comment

Don't go there. The Towanda women would beat you up.
                              I think it's time to go see the doctor :)
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Don't go there. The Towanda women would beat you up.
                                Probably because most of them have heavier beards and deeper voices than their husbands.

Comment

Working...
                                X