Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
    More timely exposure in larger markets we recruit in in the aac
    Like I said, east is definitely better. My preference would be: Big Priest > AAC > MWC > A-10 > MVC.

The recruits are east. Saint Louis clearly thinks it's very important to move east for academic/student recruiting purposes, although not being a WSU alumni myself I'm not sure how relevant that is to our own academic situation. The media is east, and that's very important as far as national perception goes. And the better TV deals are east -- the east coast doesn't watch west coast games from any sport except the Lakers, as far as I can tell.

But I'm all for joining an MWC that's dedicated to becoming an excellent basketball league if the other two aren't an option. The AAC is in a similar boat where they seem to be preferring the idea of being an irrelevant football conference rather than a relevant basketball conference, and blaming the 7 basketball teams for killing a conference that only had 3 football teams left, two of which had only been in the conference for 8 years.
    Originally posted by BleacherReport
    Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• If we're looking at which conference has locations that would help us recruit/attract students and athletes, the AAC would be #1. Focused more in the SE and in Texas. The Big East may be a better basketball conference though. The AAC would probably also be better for our others sports as well.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        If we're looking at which conference has locations that would help us recruit/attract students and athletes, the AAC would be #1. Focused more in the SE and in Texas. The Big East may be a better basketball conference though. The AAC would probably also be better for our others sports as well.
        You're right in that the AAC would probably be best for being in areas with the recruits we're going after. The Big East will make far more money and get far more TV time, though.

I think the Big East's media advantage is a bigger help with recruits.
        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• I'm not entirely sure if they'll get more TV and money long-term. It really depends on how wide spread the Fox channel is and how the ratings are over the contract. In the short-term, they definitely get more cash. The AAC also gets to renegotiate sooner I believe. So things could change. It's hard to say for sure either way.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I realize this is somewhat of a "for fun" exercise discussing these different conferences, but I don't really see a clear choice (as if we really have one). They all have their +s and -s. It's getting late, for me anyway, but it would be interesting to start putting together what the advantages and disadvantages of what each conference would be for WSU. My guess is that we probably couldn't even agree at times if an item was a plus or a minus. Example: AAC being an advantage for recruiting. Marshall has done quite well bringing in a number of quality recruits that are no where near the Valley footprint. If we were to move into an improved conference over where we are now, it would even get easier. So just how important is it. To me, he already knows the southeast and Texas. Playing in areas other than those may open doors to recruits in those areas as well.

By the way, don't bother with the A-10. I really feel St Louis and Dayton will be added to the new Big East so if you think we're isolated now, just WOW to the Atl-10. Besides, the only way this should happen is for 3 or 4 teams from the A-10 join the Valley and make east/west divisions. Much stronger conferences and better logistics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
              Id rather go East.
              I'd go East or West if it meant leaving this impending sinkhole into hell.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Geez guys, I didn't mean to go THAT direction. I just asked an honest question. Does anybody think Eric Sexton is knocking at the door? And I still don't think anyone actually answered it.

If some of you get rattled that easily by that innocent of a question, then maybe you're more insecure about ES being our AD than you'd like everybody to think.

A lot of valid points have been brought up though. Sub is right about the public speaking aspects of the job. It certainly isn't ES's strong suit. Not the best ***** in the armor to have if you're an AD of a high-level athletic program. Just sayin'.

I still would like to hear the man or at least see some of his overtures one time this athletic season.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                  Not the best ***** in the armor
                  Guiltily, I lol'd pretty hard at this.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoShockers89 View Post
                    Guiltily, I lol'd pretty hard at this.
                    Oops, I forgot we can't use that expression anymore.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Wasn't there a news release that came out months ago basically saying we're monitoring the changing conference landscapes and we will evaluate any options and make the best decision for WSU? To me, if you read between the lines of that press release it was a warning shot across the bow of the Valley. I don't think the administration sends out that press release if they're committed to the Valley and wouldn't seriously consider or even proactively seek out any other options. If all of us think the MWC and AAC are our best options surely that's also crossed the minds of our fearless leaders.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                        Geez guys, I didn't mean to go THAT direction. I just asked an honest question. Does anybody think Eric Sexton is knocking at the door? And I still don't think anyone actually answered it.
                        Who knows? You don't and I don't. He could be in contact with every conference in the country or none of them.

Any conference change is probably a year or two out. Tough to judge something that's not done in the public light until after that.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                          By the way, don't bother with the A-10. I really feel St Louis and Dayton will be added to the new Big East so if you think we're isolated now, just WOW to the Atl-10. Besides, the only way this should happen is for 3 or 4 teams from the A-10 join the Valley and make east/west divisions. Much stronger conferences and better logistics.
                          I don't think the A-10 is worth joining without Saint Louis and Dayton. I'd prefer for what you mentioned with the top A-10 schools joining the Valley if that were the case and our best option. I'm fairly certain the goal of the Valley is to have every team in the conference in Illinois, Iowa, or Indiana, though. Easier to bus to games. Maybe the end goal is to make the players drive themselves to games? REALLY cheap travel then.

They may stay, though. In which case it would certainly be worth it to grab Bradley or someone and join, if none of the others are options.

Comment

• I have no opinion on Sexton, but I think he should be given a lot of credit for keeping HCGM. HCGM has had offers or interest from good programs where he has deep roots. Honestly it's pretty impressive he is still here, even considering his personality as someone not looking to jump from program to program.

And I agree with Rlh that for obvious reasons conference changes have to be played extremely close to the vest, so it's going to be more or less a black box.
                            Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

• I'll admit that i haven't read all 39 pages of this thread, probably bits and pieces of the first 30 or so and all of the last 10. Forgive me if the questions i ask have been asked and answered prior.

Basketball is driving the ship but you also have to consider the other programs the university has. What sports do each of these other conferences require for membership? If WSU has to add a sport or two which sports do you drop? If the conference doesn't support a sport, does WSU keep the sport? if it does, where do they put it?

And on the academic side, the schools in the new conference pretty much become WSU's peers. How much value does each conference place on academics?

Comment

• Originally posted by lostshocker View Post
                                Basketball is driving the ship but you also have to consider the other programs the university has. What sports do each of these other conferences require for membership? If WSU has to add a sport or two which sports do you drop? If the conference doesn't support a sport, does WSU keep the sport? if it does, where do they put it?
                                This has been mentioned a bit. Basketball is the main factor. I don't know what each and every conference offers as far as sports go though. I'd think that the MWC would be good for baseball, T&F and maybe volleyball. Don't know how golf or tennis would work out. The good news is we're pretty solid just about everywhere.

The AAC would be better than the BE for baseball since it's a little more southern in nature. Outside of that, I'm not sure. Maybe I'll look some of this up later.

I could see us adding women's soccer if a conference required it. It wouldn't be all that expensive and wouldn't force us to shut down another program. Plus soccer has been growing some in popularity around here and we have some decent local talent last I heard. A program here could help improve that as well. I'm not sure how it'd work at WSU, but I wouldn't be opposed to LAX being added. Maybe in addition to women's soccer. Either way, I don't think we'd have to drop anything. And if something isn't sponsored, I'm sure we could find affiliate membership that would be just fine.

And on the academic side, the schools in the new conference pretty much become WSU's peers. How much value does each conference place on academics?
                                The Big East places a high value it seems. They are a bunch of private and mostly Catholic schools. The AAC has some pretty solid academics as well in Tulane and Rice as well as others. I would think that joining the AAC could potentially improve how we're viewed academically. I'm not sure what type or how many research based universities there are in the conference. I don't know what kind of academic reputation the MWC has. I know Boise isn't viewed very highly by many. But it's a conference full of large, state schools. We'd fit in well in that regard.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X