American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
    An AAC + WSU, but - two of the following: Memphis/UConn/Cincy, is really just last year's MVC with big boy football. SMU is nice, but they are tied to Larry Brown. So goes Larry, so goes the Mustangs.
    Im not sure where they can go.

Big 12? But I agree. I only want to be in it if Memphis and Cincy are in it.

However, if the Valley isnt going to get better, what difference does it make?
    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
      An AAC + WSU, but - two of the following: Memphis/UConn/Cincy, is really just last year's MVC with big boy football. SMU is nice, but they are tied to Larry Brown. So goes Larry, so goes the Mustangs.
      I would take a league with Memphis for competition and Tulsa for a rivalry over anything the Valley can offer. Don't forget Temple as well, they are down this year but will bounce back.

Plus Tulane, Houston, East Carolina for baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta town View Post
        I would take a league with Memphis for competition and Tulsa for a rivalry over anything the Valley can offer. Don't forget Temple as well, they are down this year but will bounce back.

Plus Tulane, Houston, East Carolina for baseball.
        I agree.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
          Im not sure where they can go.

Big 12? But I agree. I only want to be in it if Memphis and Cincy are in it.

However, if the Valley isnt going to get better, what difference does it make?
          Last I heard, the Big 12 was only willing to expand for a VERY small number of teams. Like Notre Dame, Florida State, etc.

Memphis and Cincy are below the teams they were already rumored to have turned down. Unless the economics of the situation changes and they need to get a conference championship, I don't see them making moves until their Grant of Rights ends. I think Texas still secretly plans to change conferences and doesn't care about the long term success of the B12.
          Originally posted by BleacherReport
          Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• I also think we should follow the money. Even if we get stuck in a conference with Tulane, Houston, and Eastern Carolina, those schools at least have the potential to improve themselves on the court (even if they are more in love with football). How many MVC schools even HAVE the funding to compete on a national level, let alone want to or have the capability of doing so? For reference, here is what each of the AAC spends on basketball:

Memphis: $8.5 million
            Connecticut: $7.3 million
            SMU: $6.6 million
            Cincinnati: $6.1 million
            USF: $4.4 million
            Temple: $4.1 million
            Tulsa: $3.9 million
            UCF: $2.8 million
            Tulane: $2.8 million
            Houston: $2.6 million
            East Carolina: $2.5 million

Now the MVC:

Wichita State: $5.5 million
            Bradley: $3.8 million
            Drake: $2.6 million
            UNI: $2.4 million
            Illinois State: $2.4 million
            Loyola: $2.4 million
            Evansville: $2.3 million
            MSU: $2.1 million
            Indiana State: $1.7 million
            SIU: $1.5 million

Even though the bottom half of the AAC cares way more about FBS football than basketball, they still would be top 3-4 teams in the MVC. And top half is unquestionably better, even if UConn and Cincinnati decide to split ways. Personally, I'd rather put my odds on the conference who's 2nd worst program spends $2.6 million than the conference whose 3rd best manages the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
              I also think we should follow the money. Even if we get stuck in a conference with Tulane, Houston, and Eastern Carolina, those schools at least have the potential to improve themselves on the court (even if they are more in love with football). How many MVC schools even HAVE the funding to compete on a national level, let alone want to or have the capability of doing so? For reference, here is what each of the AAC spends on basketball:

Now the MVC:

Even though the bottom half of the AAC cares way more about FBS football than basketball, they still would be top 3-4 teams in the MVC. And top half is unquestionably better, even if UConn and Cincinnati decide to split ways. Personally, I'd rather put my odds on the conference who's 2nd worst program spends $2.6 million than the conference whose 3rd best manages the same.
              I agree with you completely.

That is an epic contrast between the two leagues.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                I also think we should follow the money. Even if we get stuck in a conference with Tulane, Houston, and Eastern Carolina, those schools at least have the potential to improve themselves on the court (even if they are more in love with football). How many MVC schools even HAVE the funding to compete on a national level, let alone want to or have the capability of doing so? For reference, here is what each of the AAC spends on basketball:

Now the MVC:

I know the source of these figures, and I am just too lazy to go there and compile them myself at the moment, but a similar breakdown of the Sun Belt where MSU has dreams of going would make for a pretty good bit of humor in this context.

Comment

• The AAC currently haves a $10million exit fee.

In reference to realignment... Everyone will always continue and better $$$ themselves hence A&M/SEC, Nebraska/BIG, Colorado/PAC, TCU/B12-2, Houston/BigEast/AAC, Memphis/BigEast/AAC etc... The AAC is no different, when it occurs the conference will simply add best of the rest and move on.

Come 15 when Navy joins, the AAC will have 12/Football and 11/Basketball... I believe soon after Navy joins the conference will look to add a strong basketball member/s perhaps even 3 programs.

As a Houston fan, bellow are my top three basketball schools I would want the AAC strongly consider going after

Wichita State
                  Gonzaga
                  UMass

Or perhaps others, but Wichita State my first choice, absolutely.

Comment

• Originally posted by GiantHouston View Post
                    The AAC currently haves a $10million exit fee.

In reference to realignment... Everyone will always continue and better $$$ themselves hence A&M/SEC, Nebraska/BIG, Colorado/PAC, TCU/B12-2, Houston/BigEast/AAC, Memphis/BigEast/AAC etc... The AAC is no different, when it occurs the conference will simply add best of the rest and move on.

Come 15 when Navy joins, the AAC will have 12/Football and 11/Basketball... I believe soon after Navy joins the conference will look to add a strong basketball member/s perhaps even 3 programs.

As a Houston fan, bellow are my top three basketball schools I would want the AAC strongly consider going after

Wichita State
                    Gonzaga
                    UMass

Or perhaps others, but Wichita State my first choice, absolutely.
                    For purely selfish reasons as a Wichita State alum living in the Houston area, I hope that one day the AAC comes calling.

Comment

• Originally posted by TxShox View Post
                      For purely selfish reasons as a Wichita State alum living in the Houston area, I hope that one day the AAC comes calling.
                      Would be great for baseball (and volleyball too of I had to guess) as well.
                      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by TxShox View Post
                        I honestly believe either in 16/17 the AAC begins for its future basketball member... perhaps already begun.

If Wichita State continues its impressive success, I see no reason why AAC overlook you guys.

This is what the AAC could very well look like in 16

North Division

UCONN
                        Cincinnati
                        ECU
                        Temple
                        UCF
                        USF

West Division

Houston
                        SMU
                        Memphis
                        Tulsa
                        Tulane
                        Wichita State
                        Navy

Comment

• Originally posted by GiantHouston View Post
                          I honestly believe either in 16/17 the AAC begins for its future basketball member... perhaps already begun.

If Wichita State continues its impressive success, I see no reason why AAC overlook you guys.

This is what the AAC could very well look like in 16

North Division

UCONN
                          Cincinnati
                          ECU
                          Temple
                          UCF
                          USF

West Division

Houston
                          SMU
                          Memphis
                          Tulsa
                          Tulane
                          Wichita State
                          Navy
                          This would be ideal. I wish we didn't have to suffer through another year in the Valley though.

I would love to see Tulsa become a rival again, although they aren't any good as of now.

Comment

• Originally posted by ICTShockerFan View Post
                            I would love to see Tulsa become a rival again, although they aren't any good as of now.
                            FALSE.

We're just better than them. But they certainly aren't "not any good".
                            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• I understand the desire to wait for Navy's arrival in football before snapping up an olympic sports member. It would be awfully nice, however, if we could ink something this offseason for a move in 2015-16 (perhaps with Navy's entrance as a condition precedent).

Davidson's SoCon departure/A-10 admission was signed with a similar timeline.

Comment

• I know Navy is scheduled to join the AAC in '15, however, I've also seen speculation that they may or may not honor that commitment. Does anyone know what their deadline is? Has the AAC already begun incorporating Navy into the conference football schedule? Just trying to understand the timeline and if and when they would evaluate adding a basketball only school.

Comment

Working...
                                X