American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Heinro View Post
    Not sure if I was the only one having problems getting the podcast last night, but it is up now if you were too. Excellent. I also really enjoyed the part about Fred at the end.
    That was AWESOME! Thank you!!

P.S. Every Shocker fan (and AAC fan) should take the time to listen to that interview.
    Last edited by WstateU; April 8, 2017, 01:17 PM.
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Interesting interview of ADDB by Mike Kennedy in the Shocker Baseball pre-game show.

He said WSU really did not want to go through a lame duck year and Wichita State offered to help with unbudgeted costs for the olympic sports that would be incurred by AAC members as a result of moving all sports in 2017-18. Not sure how much that involved but it apparently went a long way to getting this done in 2017-18.

On scheduling he said the AAC uses a competitive scheduling model for men's basketball where they project where teams will finish or how good they will be and play the 7 H/H agaisnt the teams that are closest to you and 2 home games and 2 road games against the other 4.

Shocks will lose to non-coneference games they will need to repalce if they can. Tulsa, of course, and Utah State in the MWC-MVC Challenge.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        Interesting interview of ADDB by Mike Kennedy in the Shocker Baseball pre-game show.

He said WSU really did not want to go through a lame duck year and Wichita State offered to help with unbudgeted costs for the olympic sports that would be incurred by AAC members as a result of moving all sports in 2017-18. Not sure how much that involved but it apparently went a long way to getting this done in 2017-18.

On scheduling he said the AAC uses a competitive scheduling model for men's basketball where they project where teams will finish or how good they will be and play the 7 H/H agaisnt the teams that are closest to you and 2 home games and 2 road games against the other 4.

Shocks will lose to non-coneference games they will need to repalce if they can. Tulsa, of course, and Utah State in the MWC-MVC Challenge.
        Was Utah St. from the MW Challenge already announced? Proof of how terrible that challenge was. WSU can't get SDSU or Nevada? Oh well, glad to be done with it. As I mentioned above, depending on our options, I wouldn't mind if we keep the Tulsa game, and play them once in league play. If doing so would open up a game against Temple or UCF.

Comment

• Originally posted by Heinro View Post
          Was Utah St. from the MW Challenge already announced? Proof of how terrible that challenge was. WSU can't get SDSU or Nevada? Oh well, glad to be done with it. As I mentioned above, depending on our options, I wouldn't mind if we keep the Tulsa game, and play them once in league play. If doing so would open up a game against Temple or UCF.
          That's not bad at all. For the first year, just let us have an additional home and home with one of the 4 teams we otherwise wouldn't have.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Interesting interview of ADDB by Mike Kennedy in the Shocker Baseball pre-game show.

The fact that you play the 7 teams closest to you twice is just great. There are three teams that will probably be a step below the rest in the AAC next year; South Florida, Tulane and ECU. We'll probably only have to play those teams once. Just imagine that conference schedule.

But Utah State, really?! Unbelievable....

Comment

• Getting Utah State was just another slap in the face opponent the Valley was setting us up with. Unbelievable is right. Unbelievably stupid.

Good riddance.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I may have misheard what ADDB said but I'm pretty sure he said Utah State.

Comment

• I'm as jazzed as everyone at joining the AAC, even if it seems people in every fanbase seems to want out.

That got me to thinking; What does adding WSU mean for the other AAC members? Does this move signal they are wanting to stay and build on what they have? Does WSU still make this move if they know a few schools have one foot out the door? If this works out, does the AAC add Army + Air Force football and Dayton + VCU in Olympic sports? If the BXII implodes, does the AAC add a KSU and/or ISU? If sh!t hits the fan (hopefully not), does the BE drop its private school club status and look at WSU? Though, some say it's impossible, does football become a viable option down the road?

It's all interesting to think about. The future is unkown and exciting. I hope the AAC remains intact and can truly grow to P6 status. The important thing is, WSU took its shot and has put themselves in a better chance to succeed, no matter what happens with conference realignment from here on out!
                  The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
                    Gary Parrish has been talking about our move to the AAC and had Marshall on. Only caught the tail end. But MAN was Marshall excited lol. Love hearing him like that. Anyway. The podcast will be here I think:

http://www.espn929.com/media/podcast/gary-parrish-show
                    Great interview!

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                      The fact that you play the 7 teams closest to you twice is just great. There are three teams that will probably be a step below the rest in the AAC next year; South Florida, Tulane and ECU. We'll probably only have to play those teams once. Just imagine that conference schedule.
                      The really nice thing about the AAC as compared to the Valley is that in the Valley, the majority of your conference schedule is teams you HAVE to play, despite their providing no real reward for winning but the risk of a bad loss if you somehow slip up.

In the AAC, by contrast, the majority of your conference schedule is teams you WANT to play, a number of whom give you chances for "good wins," especially if you win on the road as WSU is so good at doing.

Comment

• I did some research to see what other AAC teams we're returning and wow some of these teams have some spring recruiting to do. Look at these open scholarships; South Florida (7), UConnn (5), Memphis (5), SMU (3 or 4), ECU (4). The big questions for the spring will be if Tacko Fall will return to UCF and if Semi Ojeleye will return to SMU. Cincinnati, UCF and Temple are in great shape. I think UCF had something like 4 players redshirting this season, and 3 of them we're quality D-1 transfers. If Tacko returns they have a loaded squad. SMU could be great with Semi back, but USF transfer Jahmal McMurray won't be able to play until after the first semester. Not sure what to make of Houston and Tulsa, they both should at least field decent teams.

Fun fact: Mike Bibby's son will be a sophomore at USF.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                          Getting Utah State was just another slap in the face opponent the Valley was setting us up with. Unbelievable is right. Unbelievably stupid.

Good riddance.
                          Unconscionable and unsurprising. Well now that the Valley brass can't f$ck us anymore they can f$ck themselves.
                          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Does the AAC have any running conference challenges?

Comment

• Originally posted by SlyShock View Post
                              Does the AAC have any running conference challenges?
                              Wish they could start one with the BE, but they have two less teams (maybe get Dayton and VCU involved). PAC-12 would make sense, for obvious reasons.
                              The Assman

Comment

• Now that we are here, its not even going to be fair.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X