American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mike View Post
    It is no secret that Dayton has coveted being a member of the new Big East ever since it was formed in 2013. Some might favor St. Louis because of its proximity to Wichita and others
    because they see Dayton as a team just biding its time until it gets into the league it really wants.
    Xavier would never let Dayton into the BE. WSU would have a better chance at getting into the BE, IMO.
    The Assman

Comment

• I'd rather have Dayton in the AAC than SLU.

A) Once we are out of the MVC, I want to avoid that cursed town as much as possible
      B) Dayton has MUCH better support. They are like an Ohio version of WSU; mid-sized, basketball crazy city. Their team is the #1 game in town.
      C) I think they are poised for more long-term success

However, proximity for Cinci, might be the same issue that Xavier would cry for in the BE, so SLU wouldn't be the worst choice (if they can step their game back up to the level they were at with HCRM)
      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
        However, proximity for Cinci, might be the same issue that Xavier would cry for in the BE
        I wouldn't bet on that.

This tweet was posted on the Bracketology thread. Cincy Coach Cronin comenting about how seeding can be influenced by financial considerations. He also lamented the fact that Cincy does not have one conference opponent that they can bus to.

Comment

• I think a lot of the posters problem with Dayton was that it didn't fit profile of the schools in the AAC. Private, etc. Why they brought up St. Louis, I don't know because they are the same problem. Bigger city.

I don't know much about Middle Tennessee State, but potentially they would be more in line with the profile. Though I've never heard of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Their undergrad enrollment is 20k so they're a bigger school than us.

I'm not advocating for Mid Tenn over Dayton. My number one priority is basketball and adding WSU, Datyon, VCU along with UConn, Cincy, Temple, Memphis, SMU, etc. would consistently compete for placing 1-7 with the other conferences in the country.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
            Kansas seems like they will likely be one of the few Big 12 teams to get off the sinking ship. Their academic status makes them acceptable to the B1G. Texas and the Oklahoma schools will likely find homes as well.

I think Iowa State is likely to be set adrift though, and would likely join the AAC. And even though Baylor is superior as a sport's school, I'd rather have UNI join the AAC with us than be in a conference with Baylor.
            A P5 to P4 realignment provides the B1G with an opportunity to at least match or possibly exceed the SEC as the dominant P4 conference. Adding UVA and UNC complies with their footprint/recent expansion (Maryland and Rutgers) and adds two highly regarded academic schools (both superior academically to KU) with successful football and very successful basketball programs. Kansas brings a blue blood basketball reputation and little else.

IMO the SEC will invite UVA and UNC to join the SEC or try to block their movement to the B1G. Don't know if they can pull this off but if they do, then Oklahoma and Oklahoma State become available (PAC12 for OU and AAC for OSU maybe?).

Iowa State would be at risk and need help from big sister Iowa to gain admittance to the B1G; an outcome I think is unlikely. Iowa State's best option is to appeal to the ACC and compete with WVU, Cincinnati and USF for admission; an effort I think is likely to fail or join the AAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockMe300 View Post
              What benefit is there to being the host? It's not like it's publicized during the broadcasts. Who cares, let the Valley host it, WSU has more important things to do in March.
              It could be a huge benefit for WSU to not be a host as they would then be eligible to be placed there.

Comment

• This statement, "Any move made by WSU, athletic director Darron Boatright has said, would include all sports." could be interpreted several ways of which two are cited:

1. All sports that our men and women are currently playing.

2. All of the above plus football and any women sports we need to add to meet NCAA requirements.

Comment

• Ive been pretty critical of conference re-alignment over the years. WVU in the BIG12 is stupid as is Creighton in the Big East and so many other examples. When you see athletic departments in DEEP debt these days it feels like I have been right all along.

But ... but ...

I am so ****ing sick of The Valley. WSU was down in Basketball for too many years but it wasn't for a lack of trying. Some NCAA sanctions and some bad hires. But the want-to was there all along. When we weren't getting it done, we started putting money at the problem. Meanwhile WSU dominated other sports.

I'm not asking that every team always win. Look at KU Football. They are always god awful but KU at least puts some effort in. Once in a blue moon they even do well before reverting to form. But they at least TRY.

But we have too many teams that will NEVER try to compete. I'm ****ing sick of it. Evansville, Drake and Loyola will always be drains on the conference. That is too much dead weight PLUS the dead weight in the offices in StL.

Seriously, **** those people. I still don't get how Doug E didn't lose his job after he lost Creighton. I still don't get how he didn't lose his ****ing job when he got Loyola in as the replacement. But then again, I do get it. If you are these schools who are in the lower level of EVERYTHING in the MVC if you put someone under you, you look better in comparison. So the dredges love Doug E.

And it is that combination attack that has changed my opinion over the years. I'm ready to go. Next year when we dominate the **** out of the Valley I am still going to have to see Jerry ****ing Palm take giant shits on us. (He probably would do the same if we were in the American). I'm sick of it. Our conference isn't trying to improve. That's the end version right there.

Comment

• I am with you. I have wanted WSU to stay in the valley. But, like you pointed out, the valley as a whole is no longer interested in improving. And Elgin checked out after we had 4 teams make the tourney 12 years ago.
                    Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                    Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

• My dream scenerio is WSU calls a press conference at the MVC head office in STLouis for an "historic announcement", walk up to the podium and let Elgin know we won't be needing any arch madness tickets and walk off......
                      Marge: The plant called and said that if you don't come in tomorrow, don't bother coming in Monday.
                      Homer: WOOHOO! Four day weekend.

Comment

• It's not just that the other teams don't try, they seem to resent the fact that we are good, while we are the only reason there are butts in their arena at least once a year.

Piss on them!
                        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                          It's not just that the other teams don't try, they seem to resent the fact that we are good, while we are the only reason there are butts in their arena at least once a year.

Piss on them!
                          We send more fans to Arch Madness than they have fans show to a normal home game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
                            Ive been pretty critical of conference re-alignment over the years. WVU in the BIG12 is stupid as is Creighton in the Big East and so many other examples. When you see athletic departments in DEEP debt these days it feels like I have been right all along.

But ... but ...

I am so ****ing sick of The Valley. WSU was down in Basketball for too many years but it wasn't for a lack of trying. Some NCAA sanctions and some bad hires. But the want-to was there all along. When we weren't getting it done, we started putting money at the problem. Meanwhile WSU dominated other sports.

I'm not asking that every team always win. Look at KU Football. They are always god awful but KU at least puts some effort in. Once in a blue moon they even do well before reverting to form. But they at least TRY.

But we have too many teams that will NEVER try to compete. I'm ****ing sick of it. Evansville, Drake and Loyola will always be drains on the conference. That is too much dead weight PLUS the dead weight in the offices in StL.

Seriously, **** those people. I still don't get how Doug E didn't lose his job after he lost Creighton. I still don't get how he didn't lose his ****ing job when he got Loyola in as the replacement. But then again, I do get it. If you are these schools who are in the lower level of EVERYTHING in the MVC if you put someone under you, you look better in comparison. So the dredges love Doug E.

And it is that combination attack that has changed my opinion over the years. I'm ready to go. Next year when we dominate the **** out of the Valley I am still going to have to see Jerry ****ing Palm take giant shits on us. (He probably would do the same if we were in the American). I'm sick of it. Our conference isn't trying to improve. That's the end version right there.
                            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by 60Shock View Post
                              This statement, "Any move made by WSU, athletic director Darron Boatright has said, would include all sports." could be interpreted several ways of which two are cited:

1. All sports that our men and women are currently playing.

2. All of the above plus football and any women sports we need to add to meet NCAA requirements.
                              I think, thank goodness, that football is no longer going to be necessary to change conferences.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                                I think, thank goodness, that football is no longer going to be necessary to change conferences.
                                Yep. I just don't see us being very good in football unless we can clone Bill Snyder, maybe not even then.
                                Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Working...
                                X