No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I sense a lot of corner-cutting being done by WSU according to the report to bring it back. A football field with a track is high school. A practice facility crammed into a crowded site 200 feet away from Section 8 housing would also be very small time.

If they decide to do this, they better do it right. No corner-cutting. If they're at a point where they have to squeeze every penny out of every available avenue, then that tells me it's not even worth it from the start. Otherwise they're setting themselves up for monumental failure.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockerman View Post
      You would be surprised to know that NDSU's coach, (best program in the FCS by far), makes about 300k plus incentives. I believe JMU's coach is the highest paid at 400k and change. 99.9% of FCS programs would kill to have 2.5 million to spend on coaches salaries. That is MAC level money. However, you are right about the job being a stepping stone. However that is true for virtually everybody outside of the P5. The money we are paying Marshall is nothing compared to what the big cats pull down in FBS.
      HC3G ranks within Top 25 Football coaches salaries
      Watch FOX Sports and view live scores, odds, team news, player news, streams, videos, stats, standings & schedules covering NFL, MLB, NASCAR, WWE, NBA, NHL, college sports & more!
      Last edited by Shocker1976; June 28, 2016, 03:25 PM. Reason: Apologies for duplicate post

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        then that tells me it's not even worth it from the start.
        I think that is what the consensus will be when they release what will be happening in the future. That it is possible, but the benefits do not outweigh the costs involved in adding this to an already successful and profitable athletic department, paired with the large amount of financial investment being thrown into academic facilities and student life other than athletics.

That's just my take on the football situation right now.
        ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
          I sense a lot of corner-cutting being done by WSU according to the report to bring it back. A football field with a track is high school. A practice facility crammed into a crowded site 200 feet away from Section 8 housing would also be very small time.

If they decide to do this, they better do it right. No corner-cutting. If they're at a point where they have to squeeze every penny out of every available avenue, then that tells me it's not even worth it from the start. Otherwise they're setting themselves up for monumental failure.
          I'd be the guy that went to every 1-AA game we played. I'm NOT saying that's what I want, just what I'd do if it was here.

That being said, ANY plan that does not or cannot include a shiny new stadium (I can be reasonable, 40k, no 2 tier, horseshoe, etc) with 1st class amenities and accessories etc should NEVER EVER be considered.

Refurbishing Cessna Stadium, IN ANY MANNER, is laughable and makes me question the reasoning of the report somewhat.

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
            I think that is what the consensus will be when they release what will be happening in the future. That it is possible, but the benefits do not outweigh the costs involved in adding this to an already successful and profitable athletic department, paired with the large amount of financial investment being thrown into academic facilities and student life other than athletics.

That's just my take on the football situation right now.
            Accumulating the direct cost data was the easy part of the equation. Evaluating the upside benefits, the downside risks and the opportunity costs will be much tougher IMO.

Comment

The report failed to differentiate that Winthrop is a traditional University with a large traditional student population already on campus. Wichita State is largely a commuter school that is trying to change its image.
              Yes, Dr. Bardo has a stated goal of increasing the population of traditional students at WSU. I think he said he would like to get it from the current 8% to 20% or something along those lines. The point is that WSU would still primarily be a commuter school. That is unlikely to change with or without football.

I for one am very grateful the commuter school option at Wichita State was available to me. It was my only option for securing a college education and degree and I was able to do so with no scholarship aid, paying my own way and having no student loan debt upon graduating. Considering all the pain and suffering student loan debt appears to be inflicting these days I believe I received an outstanding value from Wichita State. I have no problem with trying to attract more traditional students but I also believe there is great value provided by WSU as a commuter option to many students and families in the Wichita vicinity. Not to mention valuable options for adult re-training and education. Anythings that helps people improve their lives is not a bad thing.

Comment

You would be surprised to know that NDSU's coach, (best program in the FCS by far), makes about 300k plus incentives. I believe JMU's coach is the highest paid at 400k and change. 99.9% of FCS programs would kill to have 2.5 million to spend on coaches salaries. That is MAC level money. However, you are right about the job being a stepping stone. However that is true for virtually everybody outside of the P5. The money we are paying Marshall is nothing compared to what the big cats pull down in FBS.
                MVFC salaries

UNI - Mark Farley - about 400K after all bonuses but about 340k base
                NDSU - Chris Klieman - about 400K after all bonuses - about 300K base
                IISU - Brock Spack 305K base
                INSU - Mike Sanford - ~225K...terms not completely disclosed after 2015 extension
                MSU - Dave Steckel - $270K base but another $140k in incentives
                USD - Bob Nielson - $255K***
                SDSU - John Stiegelmeir - $165K***
                SIU - Dale Lennon - $220K base
                WIU - Charlie Fisher - new contract, not disclosed but guessed between $175-200k base
                YSU - Bo Pelini - $213K*****

*** - South Dakota has had archiac rules when it comes to coaching contracts/salaries. Until this past year they weren't allowed multi year contracts. Coaches re-upped every year. Rules changed and USD (second worst MVFC program) doubled the coach salary with their first hire. I'd expect SDSU to be about 250-300k with their next coach, when the time comes.

***** - YSU is an odd spot. Pelini still being paid by Nebraska so YSU got a massive discount. Previous coach was more than that.

Just as a reference point for coaching salaries at the MVFC level.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  Yes, Dr. Bardo has a stated goal of increasing the population of traditional students at WSU. I think he said he would like to get it from the current 8% to 20% or something along those lines. The point is that WSU would still primarily be a commuter school. That is unlikely to change with or without football.

I for one am very grateful the commuter school option at Wichita State was available to me. It was my only option for securing a college education and degree and I was able to do so with no scholarship aid, paying my own way and having no student loan debt upon graduating. Considering all the pain and suffering student loan debt appears to be inflicting these days I believe I received an outstanding value from Wichita State. I have no problem with trying to attract more traditional students but I also believe there is great value provided by WSU as a commuter option to many students and families in the Wichita vicinity. Not to mention valuable options for adult re-training and education. Anythings that helps people improve their lives is not a bad thing.
                  I second this. I lived in Ark City had two jobs and went to school full time at Wichita State. Driving an hour each way two or three days a week. And had zero college debt.

Add football if they want and can afford it. Refurbish Cessna or not it doesn't matter. I will still fully support wsu.

I want what is best for WSU.

Comment

You can also throw a rock from their campus and hit Georgia Tech. Kind of hard to start a new program and get good attendance with an ACC school next door.
                    Certainly true.

I wouldn't use them as a bench mark for anything. Their attendance is so bad they litterally dropped $10,000 from the roof of the GeorgiaDome onto the field at halftime of a game for students to collect in an effort to get them to the games

You can also see what attendance looks like from that photo but here's an in game photo

Comment

• Originally posted by uniftw View Post
                      Their attendance is so bad they litterally dropped $10,000 from the roof of the GeorgiaDome onto the field at halftime of a game for students to collect in an effort to get them to the games
                      It is never a good sign when the cost of your halftime promotions exceed your ticket sales for the game.

While it may not be a good benchmark it is a good reminder that success is not guaranteed. I just don't see how that is sustainable or why you would even want to sustain it. The good thing for Georgia Southern is that they didn't sink any money into a major stadium project so it makes it easier for them to say oops, that didn't work out.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                        It is never a good sign when the cost of your halftime promotions exceed your ticket sales for the game.

While it may not be a good benchmark it is a good reminder that success is not guaranteed. I just don't see how that is sustainable or why you would even want to sustain it. The good thing for Georgia Southern is that they didn't sink any money into a major stadium project so it makes it easier for them to say oops, that didn't work out.
                        Well...

http://atlallday.com/2016/06/26/geor...-turner-field/

The Georgia State University Panthers have been looking to buy Turner Field from the Atlanta Braves. On Thursday, June 23, the terms of the sale were approved by the reaction board of Turner Field.

Recently, the Georgia State University Panthers expressed interest in purchasing Turner Field from the Atlanta Braves in order to open a new football stadium. The sale price for the 67-acres has been estimated to be over $100 million.
                        Thursday, the terms of the sale were “OK’d,” and Georgia State can now look forward to finalization in the coming weeks. Once a final agreement is reached in a few weeks the Panthers could use Turner Field for more than just football.

Once the Braves move out and relocate to SunTrust Stadium next season, the possibilities for Georgia State are endless. While it is expected that they will utilize the stadium for football, there have reportedly been plans that the university may also use the facility for things such as classroom and office space, and possibly even housing.

All other plans aside, what does acquiring Turner Field mean for Georgia State football? The Panthers currently play their home games at the Georgia Dome. Since the Atlanta Falcons will be moving to their brand new state-of-the-art Mercedes-Benz Stadium in 2017, it is likely that the Georgia Dome could be torn down in years to come.

Moving out of the Georgia Dome also means that the Panthers would no longer be at the mercy of the Falcons when it comes to scheduling their home games. They would also have to take into consideration the scheduling of Atlanta United FC in 2017. Clearly the Panthers need a facility that they can call their own.
                        Not to mention, the Georgia Dome seats 71,228, and attendance at Georgia State games has always been sparse. In 2015, their highest attendance for a home game was 11,512. Turner Field has a capacity of 49,586 (before Georgia State adds classroom space, housing, etc.), which could help to give the Panthers more of a sense of community, or at least make attendance seem higher.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                          I'd be the guy that went to every 1-AA game we played. I'm NOT saying that's what I want, just what I'd do if it was here.

That being said, ANY plan that does not or cannot include a shiny new stadium (I can be reasonable, 40k, no 2 tier, horseshoe, etc) with 1st class amenities and accessories etc should NEVER EVER be considered.

Refurbishing Cessna Stadium, IN ANY MANNER, is laughable and makes me question the reasoning of the report somewhat.
                          Ditto 100%. My guess, rough guess, If Bardo is serious about Football he will use those numbers to justify a new stadium. If a refurb cost 28 million, that's halfway to a new stadium. Akron built this for 61.6 Million.

http://www.gozips.com/athletics/facilities/info/1.jpg?max_height=225&max_width=300
                          Last edited by Shockerman; June 28, 2016, 04:09 PM.

Comment

• I assume the plan is to have a chunk of that spun off to private developers. WSU already has that in progress on what used to be their 18-hole golf course.

I wish them luck. How much are they looking at to complete that entire development in addition to the $100 million to purchase the Turner Field property?
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 28, 2016, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• More details on Akron's 30,000 seat stadium:

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

Home attendance average in 2015 was around 18,000.

If WSU could sell 15,000 seat licenses at an average of $400 per seat they would raise $6 million. Over 10 years that would pay for the stadium.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 28, 2016, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• What if we knock out two birds with one stone here? Renovate Koch again to be a 30,000 seat arena that doubles as a basketball arena and indoor football arena. Ticket sales for both sports will pay for the arena in 5 years. Problem solved, someone call Bardo.

Comment

Working...
                                X