American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
    On Twitter today Suellentrop said no conferences that are a step up from the MVC wants WSU. I've been hoping that will change soon.
    That seems an awfully simple answer to an extremely complex question. Would really like to understand the context of the statement.
    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• The Horizon wants us.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
        That seems an awfully simple answer to an extremely complex question. Would really like to understand the context of the statement.

If that changes I expect we will find out in the next couple of months.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
          Someone tweeted at Paul asking if WSU was going to go to any conference that receives MORE THAN ONE auto bid.

Paul responded that all conferences get one, but WSU would like to go to a better conference.

The twit tweeted back at Paul again asking, "no other conference wants WSU?"

Paul responded, "none that are better than the Valley."

He's actually really been on his Twitter A game today. I think this response was more matter-o-fact.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            How many Big East schools have football? All of em?
            I think they all play the european brand of football.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
              I think they all play the european brand of football.
              Now we're talkin! WSU needs a men's and women's soccer team!
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I think you may be joking. However I think this and an invite to the Big East is the best combination of quickest/most realistic/stable that WSU has.

Comment

The addition of dozens of scholarships/COA's, and millions of dollars in annual budgets, for tens of fans sounds like a fabulous ROI.

Comment

How many Big East schools have football? All of em?
                    According to Wikipedia . . . . . . Butler plays in the Pioneer League, Georgetown plays in the Patriot League, and Villanova plays in the Colonial League for football. None of the other seven members of the Big East have football teams. All ten of the Big East
                    schools have mens and womens soccer teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by WUpigsooie View Post
                      I think you may be joking. However I think this and an invite to the Big East is the best combination of quickest/most realistic/stable that WSU has.
                      I have to agree with you and KungWu on this one. Soccer is ascending in popularity while football is a bubble that I think will burst eventually. Not saying soccer will match American football's popularity anytime soon or maybe ever but the safety concerns are going to have an effect on the sport down the road. Basketball, baseball, soccer, etc stand to gain more athletes who don't want to end up with CTE.

Plus you can tailgate for soccer games just like football.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                        I have to agree with you and KungWu on this one. Soccer is ascending in popularity while football is a bubble that I think will burst eventually. Not saying soccer will match American football's popularity anytime soon or maybe ever but the safety concerns are going to have an effect on the sport down the road. Basketball, baseball, soccer, etc stand to gain more athletes who don't want to end up with CTE.

Plus you can tailgate for soccer games just like football.
                        Not to mention that WSU would stand a chance to actually be good at soccer, whereas the Shockers would stand little to no chance to be competitive in FBS level football. Just a matter of population and competition, with KU, KSU, OU, and OSU all so close the football talent is already stretched super thin (see Kansas football, KSU football when Bill Snyder isnt around). Meanwhile, the closest D1 Soccer programs are Tulsa, SLU, and Creighton. Leaving a relatively strong recruiting area in KC largely unclaimed, along with Wichita metro. Success in soccer is not only possible but realistically could happen quickly.

Comment

• I read that soccer also may have its problems with CTE in heading the ball. Not as serious but there will always be danger in any sport. Who ever heard of a spinal concussion until this year in basketball or any sport for that matter. And yes I threw out the european type football for my friend KW

Comment

• Would love to see soccer teams at WSU.

Comment

• If soccer is the price for admission to the Big East, I say pay it. I'm sure that it would be partial scholarships. A lot less money than football. However, I wouldn't be opposed to football for the AAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                                If soccer is the price for admission to the Big East, I say pay it. I'm sure that it would be partial scholarships. A lot less money than football. However, I wouldn't be opposed to football for the AAC.
                                Yes NCAA D-1 Soccer is an equivalency sport. Meaning you can divvy up the scholarships. Not sure if there are any other restrictions like they have in baseball or not. The scholarship limit for men's soccer is 9.9 and the limit for women's soccer is 14. An average team roster is about 28 player for both the men and the women.
                                Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 12, 2016, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X