X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    To the B1G
    It's ksu who needs to worry.
    I would assume the Mountain West would pick them up.

Comment

• KSU to the SEC. Kansas to the MWC. Football drives the bus and Kansas doesn't have a bus.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
        KSU to the SEC. Kansas to the MWC. Football drives the bus and Kansas doesn't have a bus.
        Viewers, national recognition, and reputation/prestige drives the bus. KU is a national brand, and while ksu has a lot of followers in the state of Kansas, they are certainly not a national brand. KU has nowhere to go but up with regard to the football program. KSU flirted once with disaster when the old man "retired". A second retirement could lead to a lot of room on their football bandwagon. BS Family stadium will look similar to bramlage. They'd be a good fit for the MWC. I can see KU in the B1G or even PAC 12; but no such luck for KSU.
        All those years of riding the big 8 and 12 coat-tails will end.

Comment

Viewers, national recognition, and reputation/prestige drives the bus. KU is a national brand, and while ksu has a lot of followers in the state of Kansas, they are certainly not a national brand. KU has nowhere to go but up with regard to the football program. KSU flirted once with disaster when the old man "retired". A second retirement could lead to a lot of room on their football bandwagon. BS Family stadium will look similar to bramlage. They'd be a good fit for the MWC. I can see KU in the B1G or even PAC 12; but no such luck for KSU.
          Texas and Oklahoma IMO are the only two schools located east of the Mountain Time Zone the PAC12 would consider for admission. They have better options than Kansas when they expand to 16 teams.

I agree with your inference that Kansas can only remain a member of the P4 if the B1G expands two school and offers them membership. IMO the first school the B1G will offer membership to is UCONN; which would leave Kansas competing with Cincinnati, Iowa State and WVU for the remaining membership. But IMO the ACC will capture UCONN so by default Kansas should be able to join the B1G. I hope this happens as IMO the true quality of Kansas basketball will be exposed.

Comment

• The average Ksu fan would lose interest without the Big 12. They cheer for a school that's never won a national championship in anything and it burns them. Add lack of P5 competition to the list of reasons to feel burned and there would be a lot less hardcore ksu fans.

Comment

I get what you are trying to say, and I understand your allegiance to KU, but outside of basketball, KU is nothing. And in the grand scheme of things, the P-5 cares much less about basketball than football. The viewers in which you are saying that KU has, are basketball viewers. KU does not even begin to generate any interest in football. Do they have football viewers? I know when I see KU playing football, I can't flip the channel fast enough.

KU could get into the B1G based on academics, that is the KU advantage. The B1G doesn't need another basketball school, they have plenty, they need western football schools. Kansas doesn't bring that and Kansas State doesn't bring the academics or research.

KSU could go to the SEC because the SEC couldn't give two fats in a punchbowl about academics. The SEC doesn't care much about basketball outside of Kentucky, either. The SEC cares about winning football, period.

KU to the B1G, maybe, KSU to the SEC, maybe.

Iowa State... Well, sorry you spent $60 mil on your football stadium upgrade.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I get what you are trying to say, and I understand your allegiance to KU, but outside of basketball, KU is nothing. And in the grand scheme of things, the P-5 cares much less about basketball than football. The viewers in which you are saying that KU has, are basketball viewers. KU does not even begin to generate any interest in football. Do they have football viewers? I know when I see KU playing football, I can't flip the channel fast enough.

KU could get into the B1G based on academics, that is the KU advantage. The B1G doesn't need another basketball school, they have plenty, they need western football schools. Kansas doesn't bring that and Kansas State doesn't bring the academics or research.

KSU could go to the SEC because the SEC couldn't give two fats in a punchbowl about academics. The SEC doesn't care much about basketball outside of Kentucky, either. The SEC cares about winning football, period.

KU to the B1G, maybe, KSU to the SEC, maybe.

Iowa State... Well, sorry you spent $60 mil on your football stadium upgrade.
                I disagree that the SEC doesn't care much about basketball. Alabama desperately tried to buy out our coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by lemuel777 View Post
                  I disagree that the SEC doesn't care much about basketball. Alabama desperately tried to buy out our coach.
                  Did they? I mean, they threw out what many would consider a huge or even an insane number, be we aren't talking Purdue. We aren't talking Vandy. We are talking Bama. Rich Bama. Profitable Bama. Bottomless moneypit Bama.

Bama had a lot of money to play with. They could have gone to five, six mil, easily. They didn't. And they didn't counter when Wichita State countered. They absolutely did not care enough about men's basketball to throw out a number that would lock in "their guy." Bama had the resources to do so if they chose to, they didn't.

http://businessofcollegesports.com/2014/10/07/most-profitable-college-football-programs-6-alabama/

Comment

• The other thing is that Alabama doesn't REALLY want to have a successful program. If they did, they would do more than just throw money at a coach. They would get their fans to all games...not just after football season and not just the Kentucky game. They may support fiscally, but they really don't have the desire to support it physically.
                    78-65

Comment

When you reference K-State flirting with disaster when "the old man retired" it is worth noting that in Prince's worst season, he still won as many games as Kansas football has in the last 2-3 years combined. KU basketball is a national brand and that might be their ticket to something better, but any comparison between Kansas and K-State football is not really adequate. The distance is very, very great between the two. And widening.

Comment

The SEC doesn't care much about basketball outside of Kentucky, either. The SEC cares about winning football, period.
                        I would dispute this with some vigor. Arkansas draws very well in Walton Arena. Tennessee has in the past as well. If you look at the coaches in that league now apart from Calipari you have Mike Anderson, Ben Howland, Rick Barnes, Avery Johnson, Bruce Pearl, and Frank Martin. A lot of coaches who have had success in other leagues that make a lot of money.

Also look at attendance in baseball and softball in many places in the SEC. They are very passionate across almost all venues. Heck look at the attendance Georgia and Alabama get for women's gymnastics.

Comment

• Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
                          I would dispute this with some vigor. Arkansas draws very well in Walton Arena. Tennessee has in the past as well. If you look at the coaches in that league now apart from Calipari you have Mike Anderson, Ben Howland, Rick Barnes, Avery Johnson, Bruce Pearl, and Frank Martin. A lot of coaches who have had success in other leagues that make a lot of money.

Also look at attendance in baseball and softball in many places in the SEC. They are very passionate across almost all venues. Heck look at the attendance Georgia and Alabama get for women's gymnastics.
                          Every fan wants their school to do great in every sport. With that, fans will support winners. But where the rubber meets the road is when the desire to win at basketball, or any other sport for that matter, detracts from football. That will never, ever happen. And it won't, because nearly everybody in the SEC outside of Kentucky, plays for football, and the fans also show up to support the other sorts that are good.

I might retract just a but and say, they care... Sort of, but if the football team isn't winning, it doesn't matter what the basketball team is doing. And if the fan base thinks that money going into basketball might hurt the football team or piss off the football coach, that check will not be written.

Comment

• One more thing, Kansas, like Kentucky, will not write a check for football that might be perceived as harmful to the basketball program and they won't do anything that might make Bill Self feel as if the football team is getting too much.

Comment

• Sweet baby Jesus! Does anyone anywhere give arats ass what cowherd has to say about anything? Just sayin!

Comment

• Originally posted by LuskingforGuttin View Post
                                When you reference K-State flirting with disaster when "the old man retired" it is worth noting that in Prince's worst season, he still won as many games as Kansas football has in the last 2-3 years combined. KU basketball is a national brand and that might be their ticket to something better, but any comparison between Kansas and K-State football is not really adequate. The distance is very, very great between the two. And widening.
                                Look, no offense, but you're a Bald Knobber. What do you know about the state of Kansas athletic teams, schools, academics, or history, except that you pine for SwoMo to be like WSU? But since you brought it up. Prince's 3 seasons at KSU went 4-4, 3-5, 2-6 ( a definite death spiral ), and certainly dependent on the recruits of Snyder.
                                KU has the money, prestige, and national brand to bury KSU in the consideration set of conference expansion discussions. KSU is a glorified MWC program who receives a prestige bump by belonging to the Big XII; not by anything they've accomplished. Once BS hits 100 and retires, KSU will be playing in Bill Snyder Family Dust Bowl Stadium. I simply don't see how they'd be an attractive addition outside the MWC.

Comment

Working...
                                X