No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [QUOTE=WstateU;626102]FWIW, I posted the Texas State Stadium because I liked the looks of the stadium (poor choice); the Sunbelt would be a bad decision and we have smart people at the helm. Sorry to mislead anyone.
    QUOTE]
    I am not in favor of adding football to WSU athletics but if the University chooses to do so; IMO your selection of Texas State Stadium is a worthy goal for the University to pursue.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
      The MWC and AAC are THE end game here. If we don't think we could get there, then we don't waste the money or time on football in the first place. Getting into a P5 is not going to happen.
      So, educate me. Are these viewed superior to MVC because of more conference money? Better baseball? Or is it just better basketball with, oh yeah, football as well?
      What's behind the wet dreams for these two?

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
        Yes, please stop with the WSU to the Big 12 stuff. It's not EVER going to happen. It makes me think we're being trolled because it's hard for me to believe anyone is actually being serious when they say that.

Let's focus discussion on actual possibilities, which include several years in an FCS league (MVFC?) with hopefully a move up to the MWC or AAC.
        IMO the American Athletic Conference makes the most sense for WSU regards both academic and athletic considerations. I hope President Bardo can pull this rabbit out of his hat!

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
          So, educate me. Are these viewed superior to MVC because of more conference money? Better baseball? Or is it just better basketball with, oh yeah, football as well?
          What's behind the wet dreams for these two?
          IMO the schools in the AAC are more closely aligned with President Bardo's vision for the academic and athletic programs at WSU than the schools in the MVC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
            IMO the American Athletic Conference makes the most sense for WSU regards both academic and athletic considerations. I hope President Bardo can pull this rabbit out of his hat!
            Bardo presented the "hat" yesterday and is seeking the "rabbit"...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
              Yes, please stop with the WSU to the Big 12 stuff. It's not EVER going to happen. It makes me think we're being trolled because it's hard for me to believe anyone is actually being serious when they say that.

Let's focus discussion on actual possibilities, which include several years in an FCS league (MVFC?) with hopefully a move up to the MWC or AAC.
              Never say never. I think a P5 conference should be the LONG TERM (20+ years) goal if we are to bring back football. There's nothing wrong with the American or MWC but hell, lets think big.
              Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Comment

• I hope this process will finally put a end to all this football program talk. We have had a football program before and it was never very successful at anything but helping drain the athletic budget. I love how things are going now with the current athletic programs and would not want to have any financial drain to the department. Yes, I would like to see our basketball program in a better conference without any chance of our program to decline but adding football would not permit that. I personally love football but not at WSU again, we have too much to lose. GO SHOCKERS!!!!

Comment

• I hope this process is undertaken objectively, intelligently and thoroughly and the correct conclusions are reached whatever that may be. No doubt a decision to add football is not without risks. What is? OTOH, not doing anything may carry some risks for the athletic program as well. I'm looking forward to the end result whatever that may be. It is not necessarily just an add football or do nothing choice. There could be other opportunities and choices that this study could point to.
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; February 4, 2016, 06:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                      It is not necessarily just and add football or do nothing choice. There could be other opportunities and choices that this study could point to.
                      That's certainly my hope!

Comment

• The good newes is that our President knows that athletics is important to the health of the university. Since it is school presidents that vote on matters such as conference affiliations and invitations, we are in a very good position with Bardo representing us. Presidents consider many things beyond the basketball opponents when making these choices.
                        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                        ---------------------------------------
                        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Big 12 is impossible. 5 years, 10 years, 25 years, 100 years. It isn't going to happen. The Big 12 can barely hold two Kansas football teams (and arguably can't even do that), we don't have the population or draw to get three. Right now, if we are looking to add football it is to get to the MWC or AAC. However, if I'm looking far, far, far, FAR out in the future there is another goal if I want to keep improving the university. A P5 conference with shared culture, a focus on research, and relatively close schools. The B1G is unlikely in the extreme (0.001% chance of that ever happening), but is still more of a goal than the Big 12. We are till a decade away from finishing any football talks, and potentially several from relocating upward, but Louisville has shown that given ~50 years time and consistent success even an MVC school can find their way to a power conference.

But if we simply restore the football program to where it was in the 80s, we will just be wasting our money. Period. We would need to do in football what Marshall has done for us in basketball, create a nationally competitive product in a very short time and keep that product great for a long period of time. It isn't a matter of "If you build it, they will come." We can't put out a crappy team and go anywhere. We would have to fund not just a football team and a stadium, but also put out the money and resources to make that program great. Not good, not average, great. That is the very minimum that we would need to move up based on football, and to be honest that is a scary prospect for me. To do that in football would require a blank check I'm not sure the university can afford to make, even with increased donations.

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                            I highly doubt P5 is the goal..Bardo is merely doing whatever it takes to boost enrollment. I would be lying through my teeth if I said I've never heard anyone use the phrase "I wish wsu had a football team" as they were packing their bags for Lawrence or Manhattan.
                            This is exactly why I went to K-State in the fall of 1989 after growing up with the expectation of attending Wichita State. Desiring a traditional college experience, I chose another university. However, fate would intervene and with the help of wonderful admission staff and professors, I found my way home for the fall of 1991 after the first gulf war.

Go Shocks!

Edit: I should not post without my glasses on.
                            Last edited by DUShock; February 4, 2016, 08:12 PM. Reason: Cleaning up typos, etc.
                            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• It is more likely that the Big 12 implodes and KU joins the MVC than us getting an invite to the Big 12
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• The most likely scenario is that we're all full of **** and have no idea what may or may not happen regardless of how confident we are in our opinions.

Comment

Working...
                                X