Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Veritas View Post
    "schools like Kansas"...???
    Based on your internal analysis, how do you evaluate the following schools being safe for P4 inclusion (based on expansion of P4)
    KSU
    ISU
    KU
    TCU
    WVU
    If you believe they wouldn't be included, which schools do you think keep them out and for what reason?
    Please don't use "football schools" as your main argument. Put your P4 expansion hat on looking at the multiple variables involved.
    I'm curious as to your pecking order and why?
    First and foremost, you cannot exclude football, football is what is driving this whole thing. After that, you need to look at logistics. Kansas, unfortunately, doesn't compete well in football and logistically, is on an island in the Middle of nowhere. KU will be an outlier anywhere, but might fit in the B1G, but even that all depends on where Texas goes. BYU will be in the Pac, I can't give a guess on how anything else shakes out.

As I have said over and over and over and over and over again, I think KU sneaks in somewhere, but it isn't a slam dunk. I also believe KU could end up on the outside looking in.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Would WVA fit the SEC?
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• For anyone that still thinks that realignment isn't about football, here is a dated article. Then again, Wichita State gets a Final Four mention, so is worth the read even if you understand that football is the driving factor.

Comment

• Kansas fits the bill beautifully for an independent. They don't need a conference tourney to get into the dance every year. I think they go independent, play basketball with the elites and are a perennial 1-4 seed because of it.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
            Kansas fits the bill beautifully for an independent. They don't need a conference tourney to get into the dance every year. I think they go independent, play basketball with the elites and are a perennial 1-4 seed because of it.
            If KU goes Independent do you think they will drop Football? As an independent KU loses $23 million a year from the Big 12 and would burn a like amount of dollars annually on one of the worst football teams in D1 football?

Comment

"schools like Kansas"...???
              Based on your internal analysis, how do you evaluate the following schools being safe for P4 inclusion (based on expansion of P4)
              KSU
              ISU
              KU
              TCU
              WVU
              If you believe they wouldn't be included, which schools do you think keep them out and for what reason?
              Please don't use "football schools" as your main argument. Put your P4 expansion hat on looking at the multiple variables involved.
              I'm curious as to your pecking order and why?
              Aren't you really asking for an explanation on why KU would not become a member of a P4 conference? Other than the B1G IMO KU has no chance of joining a P4 conference. Do you think the ACC, Pac12 and SEC would consider KU as a potential member? If so, why??

As Texas (#53 academic rank and AAU member) and Oklahoma (#106 academic rank), are National Brands in D1 football with multiple National Football Championships (with potential offers from the B1G, PAC12 and SEC); consider this ranking of the B12 schools you listed:

1. Baylor - #71 academic rank; good football team and possibly a preferred SEC invitee
              2. TCU - #76 academic rank; good football team; modest chance to receive a P4 invitation
              3. Iowa State - #106 academic rank; ok football; in the B1G footprint, a member of the AAU; possibly a preferred B1G invitee
              4. KU - #106 academic rank; terrible football; member of AAU; maybe an invitation from B1G but not within current footprint
              5. KSU - #142 academic rank; good football; not a member of AAU; unlikely to receive a P4 invitation
              6. WVU - #168 academic rank; ok football; not a member of AAU; very unlikely to receive a P4 invitation

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
                Aren't you really asking for an explanation on why KU would not become a member of a P4 conference? Other than the B1G IMO KU has no chance of joining a P4 conference. Do you think the ACC, Pac12 and SEC would consider KU as a potential member? If so, why??

As Texas (#53 academic rank and AAU member) and Oklahoma (#106 academic rank), are National Brands in D1 football with multiple National Football Championships (with potential offers from the B1G, PAC12 and SEC); consider this ranking of the B12 schools you listed:

1. Baylor - #71 academic rank; good football team and possibly a preferred SEC invitee
                2. TCU - #76 academic rank; good football team; modest chance to receive a P4 invitation
                3. Iowa State - #106 academic rank; ok football; in the B1G footprint, a member of the AAU; possibly a preferred B1G invitee
                4. KU - #106 academic rank; terrible football; member of AAU; maybe an invitation from B1G but not within current footprint
                5. KSU - #142 academic rank; good football; not a member of AAU; unlikely to receive a P4 invitation
                6. WVU - #168 academic rank; ok football; not a member of AAU; very unlikely to receive a P4 invitation
                Don't be such a Debbie Downer. Then again, the magic number is 10, nine if the ACC works some magic and gets Notre Dame for football. With Texas, Oklahoma and BYU as automatics, the number drops to six or seven. Throw Cincinnati, Oklahoma State and UConn into the mix as very likely, now you're at three or four. Kansas will be competing with TCU, Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, Boise, Fresno, Memphis, Southern Miss, WVA, SMU and a few others for the final few spots. When you consider football, as we know football is the driving force, then add logistics, Kansas doesn't have a very strong hand.

I think KU will lobby Nebraska to help include them in the B1G. Kansas really only fits in the B1G as an outlier paired with Nebraska. Iowa State will be working the same angle with Nebraska and Iowa.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                  First and foremost, you cannot exclude football, football is what is driving this whole thing. After that, you need to look at logistics. Kansas, unfortunately, doesn't compete well in football and logistically, is on an island in the Middle of nowhere. KU will be an outlier anywhere, but might fit in the B1G, but even that all depends on where Texas goes. BYU will be in the Pac, I can't give a guess on how anything else shakes out.

As I have said over and over and over and over and over again, I think KU sneaks in somewhere, but it isn't a slam dunk. I also believe KU could end up on the outside looking in.
                  I don't really agree with "football is what is driving this whole thing." MONEY is what is driving this whole thing. Those two things are linked together pretty strongly, but football is only driving things because it's the biggest money maker. If we suddenly decide we hate football and start watching lacrosse, it'll be lacrosse driving the bus. The constant is money.

I think when we get into this "football is driving the bus!" line of thinking people start mistaking conference realignment as just about who has the better football team. And really if you start looking at recent movements in conference realignment, that hasn't been the case in some time. Louisville, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh to ACC. Missouri and TAMU to the SEC. Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers to the B1G. Colorado and Utah to the Pac-12. Really, of all of those, only Louisville, Nebraska, and Utah were likely driven by actual quality of football, and Nebraska's was more historical quality than current. The Big 12's been a bit different, with West Virginia and TCU both seeing significant football success prior to joining, but the other four conferences haven't really been bringing in great football teams. If you look at the last 10-15 years, there were definitely better football teams out there those conferences could have taken.

Which goes into ...

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                  Would WVA fit the SEC?
                  What drives SEC membership, based on their last two additions of Missouri and Texas A&M? This is why I have something of a problem with the idea that "football drives the bus" without context, because neither Missouri or Texas A&M were what you'd consider more than average football programs prior to joining the SEC. They weren't brought in because of their football programs. They were brought in for the overall improvement they could make to the SEC, primarily driven by football -- namely football recruiting hotbeds and expansion of the SEC Network by expanding the SEC territory into larger southern markets (with the network itself driven primarily by football).

So I guess in some ways WVU could fit in the SEC, but they'd have to be WAY down the list of priorities. I would think if the SEC was going to expand they would want Texas, or to move into Virginia/Carolinas, probably first and foremost with Virginia Tech. The MVA is a big viewership area and a strong recruiting area. If the SEC could raid the ACC (and once the GOR is up, I'm sure they can), Virginia Tech and North Carolina State would be valuable additions for them, going by what they seem to value. Cinci could be as well, for the same reason the ACC would likely want them: there's a lot of people in Ohio. WVU really wouldn't be a great add, but they do have an active fanbase, so that would help.
                  Last edited by Rlh04d; July 11, 2015, 09:52 PM.
                  Originally posted by BleacherReport
                  Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                    I don't really agree with "football is what is driving this whole thing." MONEY is what is driving this whole thing. Those two things are linked together pretty strongly, but football is only driving things because it's the biggest money maker. If we suddenly decide we hate football and start watching lacrosse, it'll be lacrosse driving the bus. The constant is money.

I think when we get into this "football is driving the bus!" line of thinking people start mistaking conference realignment as just about who has the better football team. And really if you start looking at recent movements in conference realignment, that hasn't been the case in some time. Louisville, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh to ACC. Missouri and TAMU to the SEC. Nebraska, Maryland, Rutgers to the B1G. Colorado and Utah to the Pac-12. Really, of all of those, only Louisville, Nebraska, and Utah were likely driven by actual quality of football, and Nebraska's was more historical quality than current. The Big 12's been a bit different, with West Virginia and TCU both seeing significant football success prior to joining, but the other four conferences haven't really been bringing in great football teams. If you look at the last 10-15 years, there were definitely better football teams out there those conferences could have taken.

Which goes into ...

What drives SEC membership, based on their last two additions of Missouri and Texas A&M? This is why I have something of a problem with the idea that "football drives the bus" without context, because neither Missouri or Texas A&M were what you'd consider more than average football programs prior to joining the SEC. They weren't brought in because of their football programs. They were brought in for the overall improvement they could make to the SEC, primarily driven by football -- namely football recruiting hotbeds and expansion of the SEC Network by expanding the SEC territory into larger southern markets (with the network itself driven primarily by football).

So I guess in some ways WVU could fit in the SEC, but they'd have to be WAY down the list of priorities. I would think if the SEC was going to expand they would want Texas, or to move into Virginia/Carolinas, probably first and foremost with Virginia Tech. The MVA is a big viewership area and a strong recruiting area. If the SEC could raid the ACC (and once the GOR is up, I'm sure they can), Virginia Tech and North Carolina State would be valuable additions for them, going by what they seem to value. Cinci could be as well, for the same reason the ACC would likely want them: there's a lot of people in Ohio. WVU really wouldn't be a great add, but they do have an active fanbase, so that would help.
                    I agree, money is driving this, but football is pulling the money. And yes, the minute figure skating pulls the money, then figure skating will drive realignment. But football is the money sport.

The one thing is this, active fanbases are valuable. Nebraska wasn't great when the B1G took them, they aren't now, but they have about as big and active a fanbase as you'll find. What sold Nebraska to the B1G was their measurable pay per view results. West Virginia has a pretty rabid football fanbase, they burn furniture in the streets. I think some conference will give them credit for three alarm Lazyboy fires.

Comment

• Just stop watching

Comment

• Reason #3 why West Virginia needs to be considered:

screen-shot-2014-10-18-at-11-06-04-pm.jpg

Couch fires

Comment

• Reason #2 why Kansas may be excluded:

2015-07-11-22-57-16--1865854643.jpeg

Crybabies in the arena.

Comment

• I apologize to all of you Royals fans, but when I Googled crying Jayhawk fan, this also appeared. It made me laugh. Fev will enjoy it.

3_year_old_crying_Alex_Gordon_fan___Get__3158870000_21124593_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

No. I'm trying to understand MoValley John's mindset. I appreciate his analysis, though I think we all realize he dislikes KU. Disliking KU however, does not indicate any factual reasoning or state a good argument. He spends a lot of keystrokes stating KU will be excluded. I'm just curious as to which schools he believes might take their place.
                              I do appreciate your input. Though one might consider UNL outside the B1G's footprint as well. Additionally, I would not consider ISU as having an ok football program.
                              Last edited by Veritas; July 12, 2015, 01:43 AM.

Comment

No. I'm trying to understand MoValley John's mindset. I think we all realize he dislikes KU, but disliking them does not indicate any factual reasoning. He spends a lot of keystrokes stating KU will be excluded. I'm just curious as to which schools might take their place.
                                I do appreciate your input. Though one might consider UNL outside the B1G's footprint as well. Additionally, I would not consider ISU as having an ok football program.
                                Why do you think I dislike KU? Not true at all. I have zero opinion of the school, positive or negative. KU is a public university located in the Great Plains. That's it. Period. Iowa State is a public university located in the Great Plains. Period. Oklahoma State is public university located in the Great Plains. Period. I have no more like or dislike for KU than I do Mizzou. To me, they're all the same. Texas is different. On a side note, I have been to college football games at each of those schools.

KU is a topic because KU is one of the 10 teams in the Big 12. The Big 12 is rumored to be imploding. Looking at those 10 teams, along with other teams around the country, it is interesting to speculate. My value of KU declines simply because as Rlh04d said, money is driving realignment. Furthermore, football is driving the money. Interestingly enough, K-State derives more money from football than KU derives from both basketball and football. Therefore, I don't think KU being included in a P-4 realignment scenario is a slam dunk.

Now, if you read anything I've typed, I have been very consistent in saying that I believe KU squeaks in. Re-read all of my posts.

Lastly, the pictures are jokes, yes jokes, laugh at yourself a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X