No announcement yet.

Daily Wit and Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.

Ben Franklin
    :pirate:
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Quantifying climate sensitivity from real world data cannot even be done
      using present-day data, including satellite data. If you think that one
      could do better with paleo data, then you’re fooling yourself. This is
      fine, but there is no need to try to fool others by making extravagant
      claims.
      Tom M.L. Wigley
      Senior Scientist
      ACACIA Program Director
      National Center for Atmospheric Research

Comment

• How much time do we have to do these things? Is it one year? Ten years? Fifty years? I think that the planning has to begin now, and it already has begun now. I mean, the Kyoto Protocol is a small step. But the Kyoto Protocol doesn't say anything about how we're going to actually get to this ultimate objective of stabilizing the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Somehow we've got to build in some incentive for technological development in order to move away from fossil fuels. That's my view, and that's the view of some of my colleagues.
        And you know, that raises the issues of how on earth do we do that? How do you stimulate innovation? Technological growth? Do you do it by so-called command and control, by taxing fossil fuel usage? Or do you do it by providing incentives for technological innovation? I really don't know the answers.
        I think that we probably have another ten or twenty years to figure out how to get on the pathway that will eventually lead to stabilization. It's going to require a global effort. It's not just going to be the developed world. We've got to do this in a way that embraces all of the countries of the world, because climate change is not just going to affect us; it's going to affect everybody. In fact, ironically, it's probably going to affect North America and Europe less than these developing countries. They're the people who are going to suffer.
        But, on the other hand, you know, we're the people to blame, because we're the people who've put most of the carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. So, you know, somehow we've got to get together and realize that, you know, we're to blame, and the developing countries may not be so much to blame for where we are now, but the people are going to suffer, those in the developing countries. So that we and them, we together have a responsibility to do something about it.

If the world were to warm by five degrees Celsius, and there were a really big increase in the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere...I mean, suppose it got up to three times the preindustrial level, which is not impossible. I mean, if we do nothing about it, that's almost sure to happen. What will that do to the environment? Well, a five-degree warming will just change the whole climate system radically. Precipitation patterns will be entirely different. The amounts of precipitation will be entirely different. You know, storm tracks would be unrecognizable from what they are today. You know, it might take a few hundred years to get there, which would give us time to plan for the changes, but the changes would be really enormous.
        The worst prospect, however, is sea level rise. If we were to warm the world by five degrees, then I strongly believe that large parts of the Antarctic ice sheet would flow into the ocean and melt, and cause sea level to rise by potentially many meters. And even if that didn't happen, a five-degree warming would cause all of the smaller glaciers in the world to melt, would cause substantial melting from Greenland. It would cause the ocean to warm up and expand by a large amount. Even without parts of Antarctica falling into the ocean, sea level would still rise by meters. And that means that a lot of coastal communities would suffer tremendously. Island communities in the Pacific and the Indian Ocean would be dramatically affected. People may not be able to live in those low-lying areas
        Tom M.L. Wigley
        Senior Scientist and one time
        ACACIA Program Director
        National Center for Atmospheric Research
        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Quotes from Climate gate 2.0 - Email extracted/hacked from the global warming alarmist community

“I also think the science is being manipulated to put a political spin on it, which for all our sakes might not be too clever in the long run.”
          “Observations do not show rising temperatures throughout the tropical troposphere unless you accept one single study and approach and discount a wealth of others. This is just downright dangerous. We need to communicate the uncertainty and be honest.”
          “The figure you sent is very deceptive . . . there have been a number of dishonest presentations of model results by individual authors and by IPCC [the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change].”
          “basic problem is that all of the models are wrong.” -- Phil Jones (East Anglia)
          ”I can’t overstate the HUGE amount of political interest in the project as a message that the Government can give on climate change to help them tell their story. They want the story to be a very strong one and don’t want to be made to look foolish.”
          “I’ve been told that IPCC is above national FOI [Freedom of Information] Acts. One way to cover yourself and all those working in AR5 would be to delete all emails at the end of the process.” -- Phil Jones
          Finally, might I ask that you note and then erase this email. I have found that recent enquiries under the Freedom of Information Act, or Data Protection Act, can become considerable time sinks , or the basis of some inconvenient subsequent distractions.
          with best wishes
          Keith
          -How should we deal with flaws inside the climate community? I think,
          that “our” reaction on the errors found in Mike Mann’s work were not
          especially honest.

Dr. Douglas Maraun
          Climatic Research Unit, University of East Anglia
          I do not want to make the raw data available - Phil Jones

Comment

• The data has been adjusted, why can’t you comprehend it? – “If it’s in the garbage, it’s garbage” – Jerry Seinfeld
            :tears_of_joy:

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
              Quotes from Climate gate 2.0 - Email extracted/hacked from the global warming alarmist community
              The British climatologist ensnared in a major new email leak took his case to the public Wednesday, arguing that
              he and his colleagues' comments have again been taken out of context.
              The University of East Anglia's Climatic Research Unit is one of the world's leading centers for the study of how world temperatures have varied over time, and Jones came under particular scrutiny following the 2009 disclosures – even receiving death threats over allegations that he was a leading a conspiracy to hype the dangers of climate change.
              Jones and his colleagues have since been vindicated by a series of independent investigations,

Your data is always old and cherry picked, sad
              kcshocker11
              Al Gore is not just whistling in the wind. Global warming is for real. Every scientist knows that now, and we are on our way to the destruction of every species on earth, if we don't pay attention and reverse our course.
              Theodore Sorensen

The most important thing about global warming is this. Whether humans are responsible for the bulk of climate change is going to be left to the scientists, but it's all of our responsibility to leave this planet in better shape for the future generations than we found it.
              Mike Huckabee

Can we move on please from your political agenda:pirate:

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
                The British climatologist ensnared in a major new email leak took his case to the public Wednesday, arguing that

Can we move on please from your political agenda:pirate:
                There was no data cherry picked by me, all I posted was released quotes taken directly from your hero's e-mails that are being released every day that show a systematic effort to manipulate, to stop any dissenting discussion and to spin the data to support their political agenda. O' Canada, O' Canada

Comment

• Part of it went on gambling, and part of it went on women. The rest I spent foolishly.

George Raft

Comment

• Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science.
                    Edwin Hubble

Comment

• Getting Republicans to line up behind Mitt Romney, it turns out, is like trying to stuff a cat into a trash can. No matter how you present the feline to the receptacle, at least one claw always manages to reach out at the last second and cling desperately to the rim.--
                      -- Charles Hunt (Washington Times)

Comment

• If ants are such busy workers, how come they find time to go to all the picnics?
                        Marie Dressler

Comment

• Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common.
                          Satchel Paige

Comment

• Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!
                            Dr Seuss
                            :pirate: Imagine a win Sunday!

Comment

• "UNLV is an NCAA tournament team," "They've got the resume. I feel if we're consistent in that type of effort, we can be in the NCAA tournament as well." Gregg Marshall

Comment

• "Once I made the first couple," "I figured I would keep shooting whenever I was open."
                                Joe Ragland

Comment

Working...
                                X