No announcement yet.

Daily Wit and Wisdom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    John Wooden
    :kiwi-fruit:
    I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• "I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em." --Jim Valvano
      :poster_shocks:
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• :pirate:
        ‎"However, on religious issues there can be little or no compromise.
        There is no position on which people are so immovable as their religious
        beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a debate than
        Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this supreme
        being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on one's
        behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are
        growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with
        wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following
        their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious groups
        on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you with a
        loss of money or votes or both. I'm frankly sick and tired of the
        political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen that if
        I want to be a moral person, I must believe in 'A,' 'B,' 'C,' and 'D.'
        Just who do they think they are? And from where do they presume to
        claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I am even
        more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of every
        religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to control my
        vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them today:
        I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate their
        moral convictions to all Americans in the name of 'conservatism.' "

-Barry Goldwater, (1981)

Comment

• Being a Christian is more than just an instantaneous conversion - it is daily process whereby you grow to be more and more like Christ - Billy Graham
          :cheerful:

Comment

• It is the people who scream the loudest about America and Freedom who see to be the most intolerant for a differing point of view.
            Rosanne Cash
            :onthego:

Comment

• "But now we have a choice: whether to implode and disintegrate emotionally and spiritually as a people and a nation -- or, whether we choose to become stronger through all of this struggle -- to rebuild on a solid foundation. And I believe we are in the process of starting to rebuild on that foundation. That foundation is our trust in God." - Billy Graham

Comment

• "When the government puts its imprimatur on a particular religion it conveys a message of exclusion to all those who do not adhere to the favored beliefs. A government cannot be premised on the belief that all persons are created equal when it asserts that God prefers some." Supreme Court Justice Harry A. Blackmun. 1
                • "You don't believe in Separation of Church and State? Well, since you want your church to tell the government how to govern, does that mean the government can come into your church and tell you how to worship? Separation is for the protection of both." Zoe Anado
                :moon:

Comment

• "America's founding fathers did not intend to take religion out of education. Many of the nation's greatest universities were founded by evangelists and religious leaders; but many of these have lost the founders concept and become secular institutions. Because of this attitude, secular education is stumbling and floundering."

-- Bill Graham

Comment

• "And I have no doubt that every new example will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together."
                    James Madison considered the father of the US Constitution
                    :eek-new:

Comment

• "We've always needed God from the very beginning of this nation but today we need Him especially. We're facing a new kind of enemy. We're involved in a new kind of warfare and we need the help of the Spirit of God. The Bible's words are our hope. . . ."
                      "I can tell you that God is alive because I talked to him this morning."
                      -- Billy Graham

Comment

• "They all attributed the peaceful dominion of religion in their country mainly to the separation of church and state. I do not hesitate to affirm that during my stay in America I did not meet a single individual, of the clergy or the laity, who was not of the same opinion on this point"
                        -Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America, 1835

:onthego:

Comment

• The framers of our Constitution meant we were to have freedom of religion, not freedom from religion.
                          -- Billy Graham

Comment

• What if uh C-A-T really spelled dog?
                            --Ogre
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• History repeats itself, and that's one of the things that's wrong with history.
                              Clarence Darrow

:smiley_simmons:

Comment

• If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?
                                John Wooden
                                :pirate:

Comment

Working...
                                X