Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Windiwu View Post

It may not be but it certainly /can/ be for the high percentage of adults who run the schools and the people they bring it home to.More examples are showing up day by day that tend to point to children being better asymptomatic spreaders than was thought at first.
    I work with 1500 people EVERYDAY. We have had ZERO infections passed in my facility despite communal spread.

If the teachers are high risk, they need to stay away. If not, they need to be working.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Examples, please.
      Already listed them twice on here but I will again for the slow. There are about 10 studies now, here are just a few:

https://www.uvm.edu/uvmnews/news/kid...cs-top-journal

https://www.usnews.com/news/world/ar...ate-in-schools

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...251-0/fulltext

Comment

Not necessarily true.....
        https://www.businessinsider.com/can-...vidence-2020-5

There's also an article in the NYT about the topic this week. I could not reach it, it is behind a paywall.

I don't think this is as settled as we thought.

Not only that, we are learning more about it everyday, seems like the original person who accuses Fauci of flip-flopping has already noticed this. Could also be true with respect to kids as well.
        Articles are anecdotal. Scholarly publications and studies are more thorough and vetted through peer review. That's what we've been told all along...

Comment

There's also an article in the NYT about the topic this week. I could not reach it, it is behind a paywall.

Not only that, we are learning more about it everyday, seems like the original person who accuses Fauci of flip-flopping has already noticed this. Could also be true with respect to kids as well.
          npr says less likely: https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...han-adults-are

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

I think it's far more settled than you realize.
            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford a victim of false positive and his family is harrassed. Pretty shameful.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...false-positive

"Even after we knew it was false positive, our school told us they were not allowed back, I was approached in a grocery store and told I was 'endangering others,' my kids were harassed and kicked off a playground," Kelly Stafford wrote. "I was told I needed to wait in my car when trying to pick up food, and people closest to us had to get tested just so they could go back to work.. and that's just to name a few things.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxtop View Post

Am I the only person who feels like there is too much variability in positivity rate to be a reliable metric?
                It is a metric that tells you if you are testing enough. Whether you are at 17% or 12% doesn't matter - the answer is still you are not testing enough.

Comment

• How many tests should we be doing per day and where are we falling short in testing?

Are people being turned away for tests? Are our results slower than other countries?

Just curious where we should be....we're averaging around 3/4 of a million tests per day. Behind the UK and Russia in tests per million.

I'm thinking we should be 1st in tests per million, but I can't tell you why except that it seems we should be more efficient than Russia for sure.

Interested in what the experts (most everyone knows more about this than I do) have to say.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

It is a metric that tells you if you are testing enough. Whether you are at 17% or 12% doesn't matter - the answer is still you are not testing enough.
                    You are of the idea that everyone should be getting tested regardless of risk in order to determine the percent positive in an area. I don’t think that’s appropriate as long as it’s taking 2-7 days to get the results back and they are shoving a swab in your brain.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

You are of the idea that everyone should be getting tested regardless of risk in order to determine the percent positive in an area. I don’t think that’s appropriate as long as it’s taking 2-7 days to get the results back and they are shoving a swab in your brain.
                      As a guy that had multiple tests, I can assure you that the swab to the brainstem does in fact suck.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Wichita State chemist identifies potential COVID-19 treatment

https://www.wichita.edu/about/wsunew...VIDstudy_9.php

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I know people who are getting their results back in less than 45 minutes in Wichita.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I know people who are getting their results back in less than 45 minutes in Wichita.
                            That is not the case for low risk testing, which is what you are advocating for. I know 30 people that have been tested, and the quickest was 36 hours.

I’m not arguing that we should test less. I’m not arguing that we shouldn’t test asymptomatic low risk individuals. I’m saying that if we are to get real value out of that, then ALL the tests need to be easy, painless, and immediate.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• There was a place in Salina giving drive in tests. They got zero positive for the first week. People were swabbing the edge of their nose where you can buggers hanging down. It’s just not reasonable to have people inflict pain on themselves on the daily.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                                How many tests should we be doing per day and where are we falling short in testing?
                                The problem is since the U.S. (CDC) screwed up the initial testing, the U.S. fell behind and is struggling to catch up. The U.S. ranks #1 with 1 active case of COVID per 145 people.

Other countries:
                                Belgium 1 per 269
                                France 1 per 801
                                Singapore 1 per 906
                                Germany 1 per 8,250
                                S. Korea 1 per 68,548

Notes:
                                UK and Sweden doesn't publish active cases (I would project they are close to the U.S., Sweden maybe ahead)
                                China is obviously the real #1
                                There are some third world countries who don't have the infrastructure to report who is likely worse

Are people being turned away for tests? Are our results slower than in other countries?
                                From the Sedgwick county health site

In response to the increasing and overwhelming interest in asymptomatic residents who wish to be tested for COVID-19, County officials have temporarily suspended scheduling residents for asymptomatic testing.
                                They should be embracing people who want to get tested. That type of thinking is why Kansas (11.2%, 18.6% two days ago) lags the U.S. overall % rate of 7.6%.

I know somebody who was exposed by a confirmed covid. They called their health provider and they told them they would not test them, but their family would be put down as "presumptive positive" and told to quarantine for 14 days. They called around and were able to find a place to do a rapid test (45 minutes) and the regular test (results back in 3 days). The rapid test has higher rate of false positives. They tested negative in both tests.

Just curious where we should be....we're averaging around 3/4 of a million tests per day. Behind the UK and Russia in tests per million.
                                That is the problem with infectious diseases, if you get behind you will pay a price. You want to test enough to get your positives below 5% for 14 days to be considered having it under control. Your ultimate goal is 1% or less.

I'm thinking we should be 1st in tests per million.
                                U.S. is at 188,154 tests per Million which ranks them 18th. Some countries ahead

Israel 200,306
                                Russia 201,452
                                UK 257,387
                                Denmark 281,262
                                Iceland 430,520
                                Luxembourg 979,262 (their population is 624,924)

All data presented here is from these websites

Daily and weekly updated statistics tracking the number of COVID-19 cases, recovered, and deaths. Historical data with cumulative charts, graphs, and updates.

Comment

Working...
                                X