No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Positivity rate around here is down to 17% Better than 22-25%, but things are improving. It's just we have a long way to go. Also found out that a friend got COVID and is on a ventilator (she's in her 70's). I do not expect her to recover due to health issues.

We are not starting in-person school until September, so hopefully we can improve another 10-12 points this month. Kids need to be in school, but it also needs to be safe for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Absolutely. Would also like to point out that (depending on the situation) they may change their masks more frequently than daily, but yes, they have to wear the masks for hours.

What I do not understand is why someone would claim they had breathing problems, unless they were using an excuse for non-adherence. Not only that, most of us don't have to wear our masks all day. I believe that Wufan may need to, seems like he is back in the office, and I could see where that might be a point of complaint, but if it is just to go shopping and run errands, it seems as if saying a medical condition prevents wearing a mask is clearly flimsy. I don't spend hours in the grocery store. Between errands I take my mask off (when I am in the car).

I did go into a hardware store recently and observed the clerk at the front went back to where I was to pull her mask down just to get some fresh air. I kind of felt sorry for her - she has to work all day with the mask on, clearly did not like it, and felt she needed to take a 'breather', but she did it in a respectful manner (she was socially distancing). I might be inclined to do the same thing if I were in her shoes.

P.S. I don't wear my mask at all when exercising, but for my preferred exercise, I can social distance. If I were walking and if there were a bunch of other people around me, I would wear a mask (and I see people wearing masks here in Houston when walking).
      You can have decreased oxygen levels when wearing a mask. It’s a fair complaint. It means you’re doing it wrong. It may be too tight or a material that prevents normal oxygen flow. These things can be fixed.

The other health issues that come with masks are inhaling bacteria or fungi from not changing it/cleaning it often enough. Also, skin irritation is quite common. One of the girls in my lab has had the skin rubbed off her nose and it’s become infected due to constantly exhaling into the open wound. We wear safety glasses and masks in my lab. The glasses constantly fog up. People can’t see what chemical they need and are taking off their protective glasses to read, touching their face with chemicals. We’ve had one minor chemical burn because of this.

Obviously these things can be prevented. Everyone should be educating themselves on this and finding a comfortable mask.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Positivity rate around here is down to 17% Better than 22-25%, but things are improving. It's just we have a long way to go. Also found out that a friend got COVID and is on a ventilator (she's in her 70's). I do not expect her to recover due to health issues.

We are not starting in-person school until September, so hopefully we can improve another 10-12 points this month. Kids need to be in school, but it also needs to be safe for them.
        Covid isn’t dangerous for kids.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Positivity rate around here is down to 17% Better than 22-25%, but things are improving. It's just we have a long way to go. Also found out that a friend got COVID and is on a ventilator (she's in her 70's). I do not expect her to recover due to health issues.

Am I the only person who feels like there is too much variability in positivity rate to be a reliable metric?

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxtop View Post

Am I the only person who feels like there is too much variability in positivity rate to be a reliable metric?
            No.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

+1

Comment

I get your point, but if your governor is using the metric to figure out when to open schools (like he is in Texas), you have to accept.

Note that he botched contact tracing badly, signing a contract with an obviously unqualified person (never had experience in healthcare).

That will turn out to be a waste of money in the 40-50 million dollar vicinity.

This is the reason his approval is trending down. I will not say anything more, I don't want Kung to move this post. Just pointing out facts.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Covid isn’t dangerous for kids.
                  It may not be but it certainly /can/ be for the high percentage of adults who run the schools and the people they bring it home to.More examples are showing up day by day that tend to point to children being better asymptomatic spreaders than was thought at first.

Comment

• My two youngest sons, 14 and 16, both tested positive and remained essentially asymptomatic. Both the 18 and 20 year old were sick for a day. The 20 year -old's of had a headache for a day. My wife and I wished to die for three days. Everyone, including those otherwise asymptomatic, lost varying degrees of taste and scent. It is pointless to play the fart game in my house.
                    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I get your point, but if your governor is using the metric to figure out when to open schools (like he is in Texas), you have to accept.

Note that he botched contact tracing badly, signing a contract with an obviously unqualified person (never had experience in healthcare).

That will turn out to be a waste of money in the 40-50 million dollar vicinity.

This is the reason his approval is trending down. I will not say anything more, I don't want Kung to move this post. Just pointing out facts.
                      I wasn’t intending to come at you directly. I’ve just seen it used a lot of places including a lot of reopening/school plans and it surprises me every time. I was more trying to see what others had to say and if there was more to the discussion than my initial thoughts. I will say that the 14 day running average for Sedgwick county does seem to follow the trends pretty well, but I would think severe allergies or a (normal) flu outbreak or even an increase/decrease in testing availability would wreak VCU style havoc. Sorry, is this the wrong forum for a basketball reference?!

Comment

• Originally posted by Windiwu View Post

It may not be but it certainly /can/ be for the high percentage of adults who run the schools and the people they bring it home to.More examples are showing up day by day that tend to point to children being better asymptomatic spreaders than was thought at first.
                        That's contrary to the studies I have seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

That's contrary to the studies I have seen.
                          Examples, please.

Comment

Examples, please.
                            You can Google them:

Coronavirus kids france
                            Coronavirus kids sweden
                            Coronavirus kids netherlands
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

You can Google them:

Coronavirus kids france
                              Coronavirus kids sweden
                              Coronavirus kids netherlands
                              Not necessarily true.....
                              https://www.businessinsider.com/can-...vidence-2020-5

There's also an article in the NYT about the topic this week. I could not reach it, it is behind a paywall.

I don't think this is as settled as we thought.

Not only that, we are learning more about it everyday, seems like the original person who accuses Fauci of flip-flopping has already noticed this. Could also be true with respect to kids as well.

Comment

Not necessarily true.....
                                https://www.businessinsider.com/can-...vidence-2020-5

There's also an article in the NYT about the topic this week. I could not reach it, it is behind a paywall.

I don't think this is as settled as we thought.

Not only that, we are learning more about it everyday, seems like the original person who accuses Fauci of flip-flopping has already noticed this. Could also be true with respect to kids as well.
                                That article is from May. Try again. It could change, but right now the science says kids aren’t passing the virus.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X