No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’m totally fine with mask requirements indoors. I’m totally fine with mandated social distancing. Before we enact those things, regardless of if they work or not, guidelines that we must follow that including infections, rate of infections, and hospitalizations that trigger requirements or deregulation should be clear. Right now, everything is a gut reaction.

I would like to see some studies published on viral spread and on viral load required to elicit a symptomatic response. There is some evidence that the virus does not need large respiratory droplets to travel; that it is spread through much smaller droplets, or even without droplets. This is important information for mask recommendations and mask policies. If viral load is important, then social distancing and maybe masks become more important.

I’d also like to see a plan to develop herd immunity. It is necessary for the least vulnerable to become infected so the most vulnerable will not. It seems that there are a lot of focus areas that are being ignored.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Please quote what websites I said are reliable.

So are you stating that "justthenews.com" is a reliable website?
      Ok then, what are your "reliable websites"?
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Nobody wants to hear this, but driving is not a right, it's a privilege. And Aargh, I want you and your better half to live to 150 if that's what you want. You're "good people" obviously.

But driving isn't a right. And I get that in today's world, and especially in a more rural place (like much of Kansas and even a city like Wichita) you need to be able to drive to live a productive life. But you admit you suffer from macular degeneration. That's not a combination with driving that I want to have to deal with to be honest. I realize you want to drive, but you may no longer be capable of doing that safely, and the rest of us deserve our safety too and since we're not impeding on any of your rights, you have to prove you can drive safely. And I speculate that even if you can do that today, you won't be able to for very much longer. I had a family member I had to drive around for 3 years partially because of the same condition. Did I enjoy it? No. Did she? Absolutely not, probably less than I did driving her, and believe me, that's saying something. But it's better than letting her drive, or suffer alone.

I'm not trying to be mean. My father is in the same boat and absolutely shouldn't be driving but he's stubborn and wants his freedom and independence. So far it's just been bumpers and scratches but he's rolling the dice on hurting or killing someone else. The aging of our society is creating some difficult scenarios, few of which have simple answers. I won't have to deal with these problems as I will likely be pushing up daisies long before those problems get to me.

But this type of thinking, the everyone needs to do everything (or not do anything) to protect, save, not offend, prevent hurt or death, or delay the same....is, in my opinion, causing bigger problems than people think they are solving.

I consider myself a pretty staunch conservative. I'm am very unhappy with career politicians, from both sides of the aisle. I don't think politicians need to be telling people what to do. Suggest? Of course. Lead? You bet. About the only thing Cold is right about was his comment regarding how masks work, even if it's because people don't like to wear them and therefore stay home....that may be spot on. Social distancing WORKS. Masks, as have been stated many times by people that know what they're talking about, don't. Maybe the unintended side show helps, I'll grant you that. But this virus, THE SCIENCE SAYS, is going to spread throughout society, one way or the other. This has always been about not overwhelming the health care system. Politicians keep moving the goalposts, so many of the citizens do too.

Our governor panicked shutting down the economy. It was overkill, and even if it wasn't, it was too soon. A terrible decision. Was it political? I hope not. But it was terrible decision.

I DO think you should social distance so that mask wearing is moot. In 4 months I can count on 2 hands the number of people I've been within 6 feet, and that includes family. I wear a mask in public. It's exceedingly hard for me to breathe wearing one, and I promise you it's more harmful to me than the threat of the virus, and I'm in a very high risk category. But I respect others, and I don't want to trigger any snowflakes out there that might not survive seeing me without a mask (and even in Wichita, those lunatics are everywhere) so I wear a mask. It doesn't help anything. The few times I go to the store I wait for others to pass so I'm rarely anywhere near 6 feet to another person. Social distancing IS important in slowing the spread. It's not going to prevent it. Nothing will. Nobody has "stopped" it and nobody will, unless the Chinese created it and had the cure already and just aren't telling us.

We shouldn't make people wear masks. And we CERTAINLY shouldn't be threatening people with tickets, fines or jail time if they fail to comply. We've already been forced by the government to take enormous financial loss for which we had no choice. Many of us have been forced to give up a substantial piece of whatever is left of our lives for the "greater good". You want to add to the pain by making some pay another financial penalty, or worse, put people in THE WORST PLACE YOU CAN BE to spread the virus....incarceration? That kind of thinking defies even stupidity, and even for our politicians who are often clueless.

You want to tell people to wear masks? Fine. Be truthful about the entire process and more people will get on board (even if you're dead wrong about their effectiveness). But threaten and warn and belittle and everything else that our "leaders" have tried, and in THIS country, you're going to get push back.

And anyone that thinks that NY is the model should have the stones to add that the model included biting the bullet and letting the virus kill as many vulnerable people as fast as possible so as to allow the virus to run it's course in a shorter period of time. Because that's the only logical explanation.

He has more of a right to drive (assuming he passes his tests and maintains that) than people have a right to not wear a mask. One is laid out in the laws of our lands with rules that if you meet them.. You are allowed to do it. No where are you granted the right to go into a business/event/indoor location without a mask on.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
          https://www.kwch.com/2020/07/17/stud...ring-covid-19/

In one of my earliest screeds (I think it was reposted the other day in order to make fun of me, when in fact the exact opposite occurred, it made me look like Nostradamus), I slammed Kansas and Missouri for being backwards on the Coronavirus issue. Looks like nothing has changed.

I would say our population density has saved our asses... for now.

P.S. What fool is using trendlines on his graphs? Graph much?

T

Two weeks since the "4th of July" spike. Eight weeks since everything essentially opened up. When are we gonna get the death spike?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Ok then, what are your "reliable websites"?
            By your answer which is redirecting you confirmed my point. I never stated what websites were reliable.

Comment

• https://www.jpost.com/health-science...overing-635550

Israeli doctor reinfected with coronavirus 3 months after recovering
              This is the second case at Sheba Medical Center in which a patient recovered from the virus and was subsequently reinfected.
              A doctor at Sheba Medical Center in Tel Hashomer is infected with the novel coronavirus even though she recovered from it three months ago, Channel 13 reported.The doctor suffered from fever, cough and muscle pain when she tested positive for the virus in April, but she recovered and tested negative in May and June.

Earlier this month, she came in contact with a confirmed patient and subsequently tested positive for the virus.This is the second case at Sheba Medical Center in which a patient recovered from the virus and was reinfected. Another patient at the hospital recovered and returned to the hospital with severe lung inflammation.The cases are the latest in a series of incidents of suspected reinfection that have raised questions concerning how long immunity against the virus lasts.
              I brought this issue up a while back and was met with the expected Covidiocy (denial, attacks, and then massive shaking of fists at the sky - and at me).

It appears that more and more reinfection cases are cropping up and I'm certain this is only the beginning. It's only been 5 months or so since the whole pandemic party got underway. If the immunity is short-lived, then we will start seeing more and more recurring infections soon.

Early on I was all for the immunity bracelet and thought that would be a great way for folks to get back to normal life after surviving the virus. But after seeing the behavior of some of my friends and taking personal inventory on my feelings after social distancing for many months now, I think it would only speed up infections.

Imagine the following scenario. A couple of your buddies just finished up with the Corona and they're hittin' the bars/restaurants/vacation destinations. They're buggin' you to come along. "Hey, I already got infected... I'm safe. What do you have to worry about?" So you think for a few moments and then the temptation is too great. "What could it hurt?", your average person thinks. We'll, just like the littering concept, if everybody thinks like that, all the bars, restaurants, and planes will be full of people travelling with a "safe person". It basically just wipes out social distancing through the back door.

To make a long story shorter... I think people who've been infected need to continue to wear masks (obviously there's no choice in some districts), not only out of respect and being a good influence to those of us who remain uninfected, but to also protect yourself.

Depending on how durable Covid-19 antibodies are on average, we are likely going to have to put our hopes on a strong vaccine, multiple vaccinations, and a very effective therapeutic. Relying on your own internal immunity at this point is probably not a solid bet.

T

Comment

Actually no it can't because I didn't quote any news or website. I was just pointing out that someone saying we shouldn't listen to the data provided because it's unreliable then using a random fly by night website looking for clicks as their backup is comical.
                What's "fly by night" in your eyes and what isn't?

You do understand how completely easily your statement and point can easily be turned around, correct?
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

JFC this pandemic has caused some of you people to literally lose your minds
                  You can say that again.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

There really aren't... That's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm trying to say that if you are trying to discredit one set of data by calling it unreliable by using a random unreliable website you just look dumb.

​​
                    And you continue looking dumb by not defining what "random and unreliable" mean. Why is this website unreliable? What is a reliable one?

Your cute little potshot has no merit because you aren't even defining what you're complaining about. You might need to just stay in the sports forums. The big kids play here.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                      Here's my situation. I have to renew my driver's license. Due to macular degeneration and my age, I have to take a driving test.

I have to go to a location that has hundreds of people from an area with significant infection rates. Then I have to get into a car with someone who's been in close contact with hundreds of people every day. I'm in my 70's and have two comorbidity factors. My wife is just short of 70 and has two comorbidity factors.

That is an exposure risk I'm not willing to take, but I'm required to take it.

Those who refuse to wear masks, because it violates their freedom, require me to raise the possibility of risking my life in order to fulfill a legal requirement. I don't think your right to not wear a mask is greater than my right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

Even Trump is encouraging wearing masks. The White House has declared Kansas a "red zone" state. The CDC, Fauci, and Birks all say wearing masks needs to happen. I could have gone in for my license earlier, but I thought Kansans were smart enough to do what's necessary to slow down the spread of the virus. I thought the case counts (and potential of getting infected) would go down.

I was wrong. Kansans have not shown the intelligence or responsibility to get the virus under control.
                      Aargh, you are doing what's necessary to keep yourself safe. Put on your mask, make sure the person you're riding with has their mask on (and don't be afraid to tell 'em), then crack the back windows a little and crank the AC to get some serious airflow goin'. Bring your own pen in case you have to sign anything and keep a nice full bottle of sanitizer in your pocket. When you get home, change out your clothes and wash your hands really good. That's about the best you can do buddy.

Oh, and make sure you use your car if there's a choice given.

Hopefully you pass your eye test and have many more years of safe driving left in ya.

JC... You see what you fools have done? Now I wanna be best friends with Aargh now.

The world is definitely coming to an end.

T

Comment

By your answer which is redirecting you confirmed my point. I never stated what websites were reliable.
                        But you're saying which ones aren't. Is this really that difficult or have you realized by answering the simple question that you are setting yourself up for the trap?
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

He has more of a right to drive (assuming he passes his tests and maintains that) than people have a right to not wear a mask. One is laid out in the laws of our lands with rules that if you meet them.. You are allowed to do it. No where are you granted the right to go into a business/event/indoor location without a mask on.
                          I disagree.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

But you're saying which ones aren't. Is this really that difficult or have you realized by answering the simple question that you are setting yourself up for the trap?
                            You haven't answered my question which was asked before you asked me one. So have you realized that you set yourself up?

So I'll ask again.. what websites have I said were reliable.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I disagree.
                              Please show me where you are guaranteed the right to not wear a mask.

Otherwise it's not really something you can "disagree" with
                              ​​​

Comment

Please show me where you are guaranteed the right to not wear a mask.

Otherwise it's not really something you can "disagree" with
                                ​​​
                                There are no rights associated with wearing a mask or not wearing a mask. Rights precede masks. There is no right to drive. How can one be more or less a right, when none of them have anything to do with rights? Your statement was nonsensical. If you would like to clarify, I will reconsider.
                                Last edited by wufan; July 19, 2020, 01:07 PM.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X