Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Interesting that a city will fine or lock up a person for not wearing a mask but rioting, looting, and police officer assault go unnoticed with a blink of the eye.

Yes, NY is the envious dreamboat of the country.
    Good point! But in the first instance you are dealing with a pandemic war; in the second instance you are dealing with a political revolution of sorts (an anarchistic one). In the first we have a common enemy; in the second, it's back to politics as usual. Don't make the mistake of conflating the two.

I love NYC (not for its politics). You spent a lot of time on the East Coast right? New Jersey I believe?

T

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

I love NYC (not for its politics). You spent a lot of time on the East Coast right? New Jersey I believe?

I spent a summer there living with the natives. It is a silly place.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Canned cold response coming in 3...2...1...
        Don't you mean response(s). You're all just bits of space dust orbiting the almighty COLD SUN.

Comment

Good point! But in the first instance you are dealing with a pandemic war; in the second instance you are dealing with a political revolution of sorts (an anarchistic one). In the first we have a common enemy; in the second, it's back to politics as usual. Don't make the mistake of conflating the two.

T

I’m not the one conflicting the two. That would be what the government is doing.

Yes, New Jersey. And it’s definitely a unique place. I liked it. I absolutely loved NYC. But as it stands today, I can’t see us ever going back. The state of the city would have to change and I think it’s now reached the point of no return. Which sucks. Tremendously. And I think NYC is gong to take a major hit in tourism. It’s already losing tons of residents as is as they don’t feel safe in a city of 10 million losing its police presence.

Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Here's my situation. I have to renew my driver's license. Due to macular degeneration and my age, I have to take a driving test.

I have to go to a location that has hundreds of people from an area with significant infection rates. Then I have to get into a car with someone who's been in close contact with hundreds of people every day. I'm in my 70's and have two comorbidity factors. My wife is just short of 70 and has two comorbidity factors.

That is an exposure risk I'm not willing to take, but I'm required to take it.

Those who refuse to wear masks, because it violates their freedom, require me to raise the possibility of risking my life in order to fulfill a legal requirement. I don't think your right to not wear a mask is greater than my right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

Even Trump is encouraging wearing masks. The White House has declared Kansas a "red zone" state. The CDC, Fauci, and Birks all say wearing masks needs to happen. I could have gone in for my license earlier, but I thought Kansans were smart enough to do what's necessary to slow down the spread of the virus. I thought the case counts (and potential of getting infected) would go down.

I was wrong. Kansans have not shown the intelligence or responsibility to get the virus under control.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Every single person at Wal-Mart in Goddard was wearing a mask today. Every single one. I didn't see one person not wearing one.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                Every single person at Wal-Mart in Goddard was wearing a mask today. Every single one. I didn't see one person not wearing one.
                Monday, it becomes mandatory.

16 Major Chains That Mandate Face Masks for Shoppers

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                  Here's my situation. I have to renew my driver's license. Due to macular degeneration and my age, I have to take a driving test.

I have to go to a location that has hundreds of people from an area with significant infection rates. Then I have to get into a car with someone who's been in close contact with hundreds of people every day. I'm in my 70's and have two comorbidity factors. My wife is just short of 70 and has two comorbidity factors.

Those who refuse to wear masks, because it violates their freedom, require me to raise the possibility of risking my life in order to fulfill a legal requirement. I don't think your right to not wear a mask is greater than my right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

Even Trump is encouraging wearing masks. The White House has declared Kansas a "red zone" state. The CDC, Fauci, and Birks all say wearing masks needs to happen. I could have gone in for my license earlier, but I thought Kansans were smart enough to do what's necessary to slow down the spread of the virus. I thought the case counts (and potential of getting infected) would go down.

I was wrong. Kansans have not shown the intelligence or responsibility to get the virus under control.
                  If the person you’re taking the test from wears a mask, won’t you be protected? I don’t think that’s too much for you to ask.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

If the person you’re taking the test from wears a mask, won’t you be protected? I don’t think that’s too much for you to ask.
                    I'' be wearing an N95 that will be adjusted to fit my face most effectively. I'm a lot more comfortalbe going out with an N85, but I'm avoiding leaving the house for anything that's not absolutely mandatory.

I understand that the possibility of my contacting CV or dying from it are small, but those risks would be even smaller if Kansans would take the responsibility to do everything they can to slow the spread of the virus.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                      After more thought, I realize that one teenage employee had his mask hung under his chin. That can't count as wearing one so there was one out of the maybe 50-70 people I saw. Other than that every single person had one on.

Comment

• Aargh,
                        You obviously want 100 percent, perfect adherence to wearing masks, and I would imagine "washing hands", maybe other things for you to be happy. It would be nice if all was well, and we all agreed.

What do you think should happen to those who wear masks under their chin, touch their face constantly, or not wear them at all, and don't wash their hands?

Everyone is an individual. Everyone has their own mind. I would rather we not have this coronavirus problem, but I want to also choose to live with hope and not the negativity that is a part of the fabric of our country and media today.

A good book says that "we should not grieve like others who have no hope". Living in negativity (which is what will happen if we think that we can control others) is no way to live.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          Here's my situation. I have to renew my driver's license. Due to macular degeneration and my age, I have to take a driving test.

Are you in Wichita?? I ONLY see people wearing masks locally. That's at Target, Dillons, WalMart, some even while driving or walking in the neighborhoods I bike through. Now, I'm not visitinig ALL the area stores, just the stores I usually frequent. I can't speak for the entire population base/ethnic groups and different areas in Wichita. I'm white/anglo/whatever, and the stores we have to go to have all ethnicities, but they ALL seem to be trick or treating. The stores have signs out front that say no shirt-no shoes-no mask-no service.

Its like I saw on a general news feed that Fauci said NY did everything correctly. I can show you videos online where (Terry the bicyclist) is riding through NY commenting about how NOBODY was wearing a mask, EVERYBODY was still going about their regular business eating, shopping, getting the bus tours, etc....and his comments were like "people here in NY are stupid. As New Yorkers, I was watching live evidence of the stupidity of most New Yorkers. They're weren't doing ANYTHING they're supposed to be doing in regards to preventing transmission of the virus. Now, that may have changed at some point, and that's great. Praise NY, NJ and whatever the flavor of the day state you wish to pick, their case count WILL RISE again. That is almost a certainty. I'm not going to go full on COLD mode and rant and rave about the morbidity of it all, beating my chest about how great I think this person is and how great I am and then post a super cool shade wearing big ol grin at the end of every post. That guy is just strange. The virus is currently infecting areas of the country for whatever reason that it had ignored previously. Colorado, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota....they're all trending in the wrong direction. Doesn't necessarily mean they're doing anything wrong, I think it HAS to happen at some point to every community. All the glorified news media and politicians will be banning Montananites and Idahoans from their cities next. I mean, you have a right to protest with the angry mob you're walking ths street with and burning Wendys and looting and destroying property, but for God's sake, if you're going to work in an office of white collar workers, wear your mask. (see what I mean)

Sad thing is, the same communities that love the media attention (like NY, etc...) will probably be facing another wave shortly, where then all the South Dakotans can say New Yorkians aren't welcome here. Hell, for all I know, with all the license plates I've seen in the last 3 days from bicycling in the Wichita area....and the list is great: Oklahoma, California, Texas, New York, New Jersey, North Carolina, Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New Mexico....they're bringing the virus INTO the Wichita area.

Some European blocks are banning American travelers for the time being....well, guess what?? Spain, France, even Australia are having unusual spikes right now. News flash, they're ALL going to go back up. On a population base (in US) of 380 million, at 50-60% infection as the target rate, and 100,000 new cases a day, it will take over 10 years to reach that 60% target. As a planet, the news is more off putting. On 200,000 worldwide NEW DAILY cases, it takes over 50 YEARS to reach that 60 percentile. You know who hasn't had a problem yet? Canada. Hopefully as the virus has migrated (slowly) north across North America they won't become the next bullseye. The issue I have is that the thing has become so politicized, and there's so much MISinformation out there or redactive information, that I honestly don't know WHO or WHAT to believe. So I trust myself and my common sense.

As a unit of 6 core people that I had close contact with back in February, the 6 of us TO THIS DAY still think we had it. We don't want it again. Nobody can make an argument that we DIDN'T have it, and apparently you can (or can't? I don't know, what day is it?) get it more than once. We continue to buy our groceries and other needs through click, drive and pick up as we have all along. I don't bike with a mask, but the only person I ever bike with (on weekends) is the wife, and I work and sleep with her. Hope everyone stays healthy.

My advice Aargh, protect yourself as best you can.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                            <snip>but I want to also choose to live with hope and not the negativity that is a part of the fabric of our country and media today.

<snip>

THANK YOU. Well said.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Is it concerning to you that someone in the very high-risk category believes if they go sit in a space with hundreds of people sitting for an hour or so -- and 100% are wearing cloth masks -- that they believe they have nothing to worry about? THAT'S the false sense of security that the media has created. That room is dangerous to the high risk person, and only SLIGHTLY less dangerous than if nobody was wearing a mask at all. It's the difference between taking 10 grams of cyanide vs only taking 8 grams -- when 1 gram is all it takes.

Comment

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...lobalData.aspx

To be fair, I am under the opinion that some "excess deaths" could be from folks scared to visit the doctor when symptoms present themselves. In those cases Covid would be indirectly responsible for their deaths.

I'm certain that some Covid deaths have been misreported, but I am just as certain that more Covid deaths have been underreported, so it more than balances out your conspiracy theory claim.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ak/3220834001/

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07...deaths-number/

https://www.yoursun.com/coronavirus/...d5f7f5217.html

T

Comment

Working...
                                X