Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Bingo. The science 'at best' is unverifiable, either way, except for mortality tendencies, and lately even that's come under question. No?

Pablum for intellectual morons.

Comment

• So are random websites like "justthenews.com" considered reliable sources now?

College would have been much easier if I could have used places like that to support my theories back then.

"Don't believe everything you read" ... Points to a random unknown website as a providing proof of why...

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        Here's my situation. I have to renew my driver's license. Due to macular degeneration and my age, I have to take a driving test.

I have to go to a location that has hundreds of people from an area with significant infection rates. Then I have to get into a car with someone who's been in close contact with hundreds of people every day. I'm in my 70's and have two comorbidity factors. My wife is just short of 70 and has two comorbidity factors.

That is an exposure risk I'm not willing to take, but I'm required to take it.

Those who refuse to wear masks, because it violates their freedom, require me to raise the possibility of risking my life in order to fulfill a legal requirement. I don't think your right to not wear a mask is greater than my right to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness".

Even Trump is encouraging wearing masks. The White House has declared Kansas a "red zone" state. The CDC, Fauci, and Birks all say wearing masks needs to happen. I could have gone in for my license earlier, but I thought Kansans were smart enough to do what's necessary to slow down the spread of the virus. I thought the case counts (and potential of getting infected) would go down.

I was wrong. Kansans have not shown the intelligence or responsibility to get the virus under control.
        Nobody wants to hear this, but driving is not a right, it's a privilege. And Aargh, I want you and your better half to live to 150 if that's what you want. You're "good people" obviously.

But driving isn't a right. And I get that in today's world, and especially in a more rural place (like much of Kansas and even a city like Wichita) you need to be able to drive to live a productive life. But you admit you suffer from macular degeneration. That's not a combination with driving that I want to have to deal with to be honest. I realize you want to drive, but you may no longer be capable of doing that safely, and the rest of us deserve our safety too and since we're not impeding on any of your rights, you have to prove you can drive safely. And I speculate that even if you can do that today, you won't be able to for very much longer. I had a family member I had to drive around for 3 years partially because of the same condition. Did I enjoy it? No. Did she? Absolutely not, probably less than I did driving her, and believe me, that's saying something. But it's better than letting her drive, or suffer alone.

I'm not trying to be mean. My father is in the same boat and absolutely shouldn't be driving but he's stubborn and wants his freedom and independence. So far it's just been bumpers and scratches but he's rolling the dice on hurting or killing someone else. The aging of our society is creating some difficult scenarios, few of which have simple answers. I won't have to deal with these problems as I will likely be pushing up daisies long before those problems get to me.

But this type of thinking, the everyone needs to do everything (or not do anything) to protect, save, not offend, prevent hurt or death, or delay the same....is, in my opinion, causing bigger problems than people think they are solving.

I consider myself a pretty staunch conservative. I'm am very unhappy with career politicians, from both sides of the aisle. I don't think politicians need to be telling people what to do. Suggest? Of course. Lead? You bet. About the only thing Cold is right about was his comment regarding how masks work, even if it's because people don't like to wear them and therefore stay home....that may be spot on. Social distancing WORKS. Masks, as have been stated many times by people that know what they're talking about, don't. Maybe the unintended side show helps, I'll grant you that. But this virus, THE SCIENCE SAYS, is going to spread throughout society, one way or the other. This has always been about not overwhelming the health care system. Politicians keep moving the goalposts, so many of the citizens do too.

Our governor panicked shutting down the economy. It was overkill, and even if it wasn't, it was too soon. A terrible decision. Was it political? I hope not. But it was terrible decision.

I DO think you should social distance so that mask wearing is moot. In 4 months I can count on 2 hands the number of people I've been within 6 feet, and that includes family. I wear a mask in public. It's exceedingly hard for me to breathe wearing one, and I promise you it's more harmful to me than the threat of the virus, and I'm in a very high risk category. But I respect others, and I don't want to trigger any snowflakes out there that might not survive seeing me without a mask (and even in Wichita, those lunatics are everywhere) so I wear a mask. It doesn't help anything. The few times I go to the store I wait for others to pass so I'm rarely anywhere near 6 feet to another person. Social distancing IS important in slowing the spread. It's not going to prevent it. Nothing will. Nobody has "stopped" it and nobody will, unless the Chinese created it and had the cure already and just aren't telling us.

We shouldn't make people wear masks. And we CERTAINLY shouldn't be threatening people with tickets, fines or jail time if they fail to comply. We've already been forced by the government to take enormous financial loss for which we had no choice. Many of us have been forced to give up a substantial piece of whatever is left of our lives for the "greater good". You want to add to the pain by making some pay another financial penalty, or worse, put people in THE WORST PLACE YOU CAN BE to spread the virus....incarceration? That kind of thinking defies even stupidity, and even for our politicians who are often clueless.

You want to tell people to wear masks? Fine. Be truthful about the entire process and more people will get on board (even if you're dead wrong about their effectiveness). But threaten and warn and belittle and everything else that our "leaders" have tried, and in THIS country, you're going to get push back.

And anyone that thinks that NY is the model should have the stones to add that the model included biting the bullet and letting the virus kill as many vulnerable people as fast as possible so as to allow the virus to run it's course in a shorter period of time. Because that's the only logical explanation.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
          So are random websites like "justthenews.com" considered reliable sources now?

College would have been much easier if I could have used places like that to support my theories back then.

"Don't believe everything you read" ... Points to a random unknown website as a providing proof of why...
          Do you not understand the fact that your “reliable websites” are now tainted with bias? Or are you being obtuse?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Do you not understand the fact that your “reliable websites” are now tainted with bias? Or are you being obtuse?
            Please quote what websites I said are reliable.

So are you stating that "justthenews.com" is a reliable website?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You said it before I could Fev. Reliable news has gone out the window with political bias, on both sides. The best one can do today is look at both sides and try to make sense of it. Of, course, one's own political bias will usually win out. But the people are allowed to have political bias. I do not believe the press should.

Comment

• "Our governor panicked shutting down the economy. It was overkill, and even if it wasn't, it was too soon. A terrible decision. Was it political? Of course it was, and it was terrible decision."

FIFY, Doc

Comment

• https://www.kwch.com/2020/07/17/stud...ring-covid-19/

Study: Kansas second least responsible state during COVID-19
                  WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - A study found that Kansas is the second least responsible state when it comes to the coronavirus.

The study found that one in five Kansans were staying home and only a third reported wearing a mask in public.

South Carolina was the sole state that was found to be less responsible.

The most responsible states were found to be New York and New Jersey.

In one of my earliest screeds (I think it was reposted the other day in order to make fun of me, when in fact the exact opposite occurred, it made me look like Nostradamus), I slammed Kansas and Missouri for being backwards on the Coronavirus issue. Looks like nothing has changed.

I would say our population density has saved our asses... for now.

P.S. What fool is using trendlines on his graphs? Graph much?

T

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Is it concerning to you that someone in the very high-risk category believes if they go sit in a space with hundreds of people sitting for an hour or so -- and 100% are wearing cloth masks -- that they believe they have nothing to worry about? THAT'S the false sense of security that the media has created. That room is dangerous to the high risk person, and only SLIGHTLY less dangerous than if nobody was wearing a mask at all. It's the difference between taking 10 grams of cyanide vs only taking 8 grams -- when 1 gram is all it takes.
                    Yes.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Please quote what websites I said are reliable.

So are you stating that "justthenews.com" is a reliable website?
                      You do realize that statement can be turned around against you? I could not believe the political bias I was seeing on many "reputable" TV news outlets election night when Trump won....and I didn't even vote for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                        https://www.kwch.com/2020/07/17/stud...ring-covid-19/

In one of my earliest screeds (I think it was reposted the other day in order to make fun of me, when in fact the exact opposite occurred, it made me look like Nostradamus), I slammed Kansas and Missouri for being backwards on the Coronavirus issue. Looks like nothing has changed.

I would say our population density has saved our asses... for now.

P.S. What fool is using trendlines on his graphs? Graph much?

T

Someone went and defaced your graph again.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

You do realize that statement can be turned around against you? I could not believe the political bias I was seeing on many "reputable" TV news outlets election night when Trump won....and I didn't even vote for him.
                          Actually no it can't because I didn't quote any news or website. I was just pointing out that someone saying we shouldn't listen to the data provided because it's unreliable then using a random fly by night website looking for clicks as their backup is comical.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Nobody wants to hear this, but driving is not a right, it's a privilege. And Aargh, I want you and your better half to live to 150 if that's what you want. You're "good people" obviously.

But driving isn't a right. And I get that in today's world, and especially in a more rural place (like much of Kansas and even a city like Wichita) you need to be able to drive to live a productive life. But you admit you suffer from macular degeneration. That's not a combination with driving that I want to have to deal with to be honest. I realize you want to drive, but you may no longer be capable of doing that safely, and the rest of us deserve our safety too and since we're not impeding on any of your rights, you have to prove you can drive safely. And I speculate that even if you can do that today, you won't be able to for very much longer. I had a family member I had to drive around for 3 years partially because of the same condition. Did I enjoy it? No. Did she? Absolutely not, probably less than I did driving her, and believe me, that's saying something. But it's better than letting her drive, or suffer alone.

I'm not trying to be mean. My father is in the same boat and absolutely shouldn't be driving but he's stubborn and wants his freedom and independence. So far it's just been bumpers and scratches but he's rolling the dice on hurting or killing someone else. The aging of our society is creating some difficult scenarios, few of which have simple answers. I won't have to deal with these problems as I will likely be pushing up daisies long before those problems get to me.

But this type of thinking, the everyone needs to do everything (or not do anything) to protect, save, not offend, prevent hurt or death, or delay the same....is, in my opinion, causing bigger problems than people think they are solving.

I consider myself a pretty staunch conservative. I'm am very unhappy with career politicians, from both sides of the aisle. I don't think politicians need to be telling people what to do. Suggest? Of course. Lead? You bet. About the only thing Cold is right about was his comment regarding how masks work, even if it's because people don't like to wear them and therefore stay home....that may be spot on. Social distancing WORKS. Masks, as have been stated many times by people that know what they're talking about, don't. Maybe the unintended side show helps, I'll grant you that. But this virus, THE SCIENCE SAYS, is going to spread throughout society, one way or the other. This has always been about not overwhelming the health care system. Politicians keep moving the goalposts, so many of the citizens do too.

Our governor panicked shutting down the economy. It was overkill, and even if it wasn't, it was too soon. A terrible decision. Was it political? I hope not. But it was terrible decision.

I DO think you should social distance so that mask wearing is moot. In 4 months I can count on 2 hands the number of people I've been within 6 feet, and that includes family. I wear a mask in public. It's exceedingly hard for me to breathe wearing one, and I promise you it's more harmful to me than the threat of the virus, and I'm in a very high risk category. But I respect others, and I don't want to trigger any snowflakes out there that might not survive seeing me without a mask (and even in Wichita, those lunatics are everywhere) so I wear a mask. It doesn't help anything. The few times I go to the store I wait for others to pass so I'm rarely anywhere near 6 feet to another person. Social distancing IS important in slowing the spread. It's not going to prevent it. Nothing will. Nobody has "stopped" it and nobody will, unless the Chinese created it and had the cure already and just aren't telling us.

We shouldn't make people wear masks. And we CERTAINLY shouldn't be threatening people with tickets, fines or jail time if they fail to comply. We've already been forced by the government to take enormous financial loss for which we had no choice. Many of us have been forced to give up a substantial piece of whatever is left of our lives for the "greater good". You want to add to the pain by making some pay another financial penalty, or worse, put people in THE WORST PLACE YOU CAN BE to spread the virus....incarceration? That kind of thinking defies even stupidity, and even for our politicians who are often clueless.

You want to tell people to wear masks? Fine. Be truthful about the entire process and more people will get on board (even if you're dead wrong about their effectiveness). But threaten and warn and belittle and everything else that our "leaders" have tried, and in THIS country, you're going to get push back.

And anyone that thinks that NY is the model should have the stones to add that the model included biting the bullet and letting the virus kill as many vulnerable people as fast as possible so as to allow the virus to run it's course in a shorter period of time. Because that's the only logical explanation.

You're an ignorant and/or stubborn fool Doc. I'm sorry to tell you that on a Sunday.

You literally bagged on Aargh about driving with macular degeneration and implied he was putting YOUR safety into concern when he's on his way to get tested to make sure he is safe to drive. HE is the person willing to sacrifice by avoiding crowded areas and wearing a mask to protect YOU, but you're the Covidiot that thinks masks don't work so you aren't willing to protect him. Crazy how projection works ain't it?

P.S. Nice cherry on the top with all the "hardship" you had to endure driving one of your family members around. One of the biggest stressors on the aged is having to worry about relying on their children or someone else. Thanks for bullet-pointing Aargh's biggest fear.

JFC this pandemic has caused some of you people to literally lose your minds if not your humanity.

And furthermore...

SO ****ING WHAT IF MASKS DON'T WORK. YOU SUFFER A LITTLE INCONVENIENCE AND THAT'S IT. BUT IF THEY DO (AND THEY ABSOLUTELY HAVE BEEN PROVEN TO DO) AND YOU CONTINUE TO ACT LIKE A COVIDIOT, YOU JUST MAYBE KILLED SOMEONE.

T

Comment

Actually no it can't because I didn't quote any news or website. I was just pointing out that someone saying we shouldn't listen to the data provided because it's unreliable then using a random fly by night website looking for clicks as their backup is comical.
                              The difference between "fly by night" and "reputable" news sights has gotten very blurred. So, tell me about all the non-biased news sights you use?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

The difference between "fly by night" and "reputable" news sights has gotten very blurred. So, tell me about all the non-biased news sights you use?
                                There really aren't... That's not the point I'm trying to make. I'm trying to say that if you are trying to discredit one set of data by calling it unreliable by using a random unreliable website you just look dumb.

​​

Comment

Working...
                                X