Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

It is only stronger and more transmissible at night if you are in a bar or restaurant. Surprisingly, if you are out rioting and looting at night, it is not transmissible.
    See? This is the information Shockernet was born to produce. I've been doing it all wrong, but now I see the light! I love this place.

Comment

• I haven't kept up with this thread for several days, so hopefully this hasn't already been posted.

South Korea completed a large contact-tracing study, and if I'm reading the conclusion correctly, index patients between the ages of 10-19 had a high rate of transmittal within their households, while kids 0-9 had a low rate. If my understanding is accurate, that may complicate the plan to re-open middle and high schools this fall.

Comment

• https://www.kwch.com/2020/07/21/from...-whole-family/

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - Mark Miles shares his story from the COVID unit at Ascension Via Christi St. Francis.

“I didn’t know that I had not only COVID, but also pneumonia. And that was part of the problem where I wasn’t getting oxygen at home. I didn’t know I wasn’t getting it. But I was hallucinating and sick and all the coughing and coughing, it was horrendous,” Miles said.

Miles tested positive for COVID-19 days after his father’s funeral—the gathering would spread the virus to 17 family members and the pastor at the funeral service.

“We just didn’t know that somebody there had COVID and we passed it around. All but one of my family members got COVID. I’ve got a 95-year-old, Aunt Jane who now has COVID. And so, you know, this touches a lot of people, people you love. And you don’t want to see hurt. And so, it’s certainly about others, and not about ourselves,” Miles said.

He didn't mention anybody in his family dying yet which is good. Every time I see a story like this I want to shout out from the mountaintops that we're over the worst of it and the therapeutics and treatment plans are winning. I look at the overall U.S. death rate and it doesn't look horrific... but the reality is, we are still increasing our deaths in the new hot spots and there's still a very high probability that there will be hell to pay for all these infections.

Yes, the communist U.S. states are winning the battle against the spread with autocratic governing. China tactics work! The American experiment was a resounding success, but it does not work in times of pandemics. The citizenry are either not responsible enough, do not have sufficient "community spirit", or they are just undisciplined. Either way, you've gotta lock your populace down in times like these if you don't want to suffer even greater economic and health implications. It's no different than when you tell your kids to get inside the house before dark. It's embarrassing to admit, but your average American is not very mature.

Freedom Loving Americans

Wannabe Communist Dictatorships

The American dictatorships have it folks. This is their time to shine. I've been trying to tell you this for months. Bring out the welding tools.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-covid-19-yet/

Overcoming Psychological Biases Is the Best Treatment against COVID-19 Yet
        In responding to the pandemic, society may be hampered by cognitive and political beliefs that distort judgments and lead to irrational decisions
        The thinking that led to the focus on ventilators is not all that surprising, however. It reflects some psychological biases that affect the way all of us—liberals and conservatives, elected officials and their constituents, patients, family members and doctors—determine what is important and the decisions we make as a consequence. Humans tend to prioritize the present over the future, the direct over the indirect. We seek to prevent what is easy to imagine—a death in an emergency room for want of a ventilator—and have a harder time confronting statistical realities such as the exponential transmission of the virus.
        We also have a strong tendency to predict the most optimistic outcome and therefore to prepare for the best-case scenario rather than the worst one. “The fact that certain politicians do habitually repudiate science does make the situation worse. But the point is that, even absent that, these biases hold tremendous sway,” Halpern says. Without understanding them, it is hard to create good policy and frame effective messaging to the public.
        Many of our cognitive biases are the product of thousands of years of human adaptation. Accurate beliefs have frequently mattered less for survival than the ability to cooperate and persuade.
        Our cognitive and political biases intersect. “People are more susceptible to biases if they fit their own political narrative,” Lammers says. In one of the studies in his PNAS paper, he found that while both Democrats and Republicans failed to properly consider exponential growth, Republicans —whose leaders were downplaying the seriousness of the pandemic—made the error more often. This result is an example of what social scientists call “motivated reasoning,” our tendency to decide what evidence to accept based on the conclusion we prefer.
        Such an elegant article in it's explanation of why I've received so much flack in this thread.

I'm fortunately and unfortunately immune to much of the biases described. That makes me exceptionally clear thinking in times of stress, but it also makes me kind of a negative bastard as far as the typical outlook on life is concerned. The reality is: the ultimate outcome for most of us is probably more negative than positive. We're all going to die, and most of us are going to suffer many maladies prior to dying with dreams going unfulfilled and some regrets. But we don't look at that, we pretend like it doesn't exist otherwise most of us would go mad.

I can clearly see our basketball program declining and can admit that to myself and others. I can hope for a resurgence, but I can also face the reality that I see. 99% of the fans on this board are up in arms with even a mention that we likely have quietly exited our golden years. Same with Coronavirus. I look at the numbers at face value. I also understand statistics and exponentiality intimately. Toss in a little mental j'en ai se quoi and my forecasting will be more accurate than most. It's been that way my entire life. It all boils down to extreme rational and logic-based thinking. The trick is to be able to look at life without the rose-colored glasses and still remain a relatively happy person, which I am. Part of my contentment stems from the fact that I'm never surprised on the downside... I already know that end of the spectrum and have faced it. This state of fearlessness from being aware is an asset in business and risk taking applications. It also makes me look and sound like a Death Angel to the 'Fever types.

I put several thoughts in this one post so I don't clutter up the page. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          Cold? Is that you?
          If that was me, the bars and restaurants would be serving at their door and patrons would be outside eating. There wouldn't be indoor dining/drinking in this fair city my friend.

But I would turn this town into New Orleans. People could walk all around Old Town with their favorite to go beverage in their hand. I would have cops on horses (just like NOLA) reminding folks to maintain 6ft and to kindly wear their masks if they are in large outdoor groups. There would be bands, children dancing, parents... hold on...

This ^^^ is what it would be like in Wichita if I were mayor.

New Orleans of the Midwest... without the sea level problems.

JAZZ & BLUES FESTIVAL!

BOAT RIDES ON THE MUDDY ARKANSAS!

I WANT A BAND MARCHING DOWN DOUGLAS!

GOD I LOVE NOLA!

*starts crying*

I'm going mad.

Our town is so shitty.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
            Yes, the communist U.S. states are winning the battle against the spread with autocratic governing. China tactics work! The American experiment was a resounding success, but it does not work in times of pandemics.
            I'm confused by your definition of winning. The score in the states you chose is:

12,306 (Freedom Loving Americans) to 48,525 (Wannabe Communist Dictatorships)

But more interestingly ... why did you choose those states?
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Look at all those guys tooting their own horns

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I'm confused by your definition of winning. The score in the states you chose is:

12,306 (Freedom Loving Americans) to 48,525 (Wannabe Communist Dictatorships)

But more interestingly ... why did you choose those states?
                I didn't scan through a bunch of states filtering to support my argument if that is what you're asking. I used all my "first clicks" off the top of my head. The only one I didn't include was Cali, because while they are Communist Wannabees, they are not trending down at the moment. But I have faith in their dictatorial inclinations that they will do what is necessary and haul out the blow torches. I think they are already doing it.

If you are keeping score since the beginning that may not be quite fair. NYC was hit with a Chinese ambush by way of the Italians in January. They really didn't have a chance to avoid their result. All they could do was play catch-up. And we know how that works from watching the lilly pad video at least 9 times don't we Mr. Kung. ;)

Since then we've learned that the game plan is quite simple: separate people. If you can't separate people, have them mask up. That - in and of itself - is enough, as demonstrated by MANY countries across the world.

As I've mentioned before, you couldn't even ride your bicycle in Italy. Now Spain is opening back up with restaurants and such and I hear they are seeing exponential infections again. This is such a horrible situation. Truly it is. Even my negative ass could NEVER have foreseen it. That Libtard Bill Gates did though.

We know how to stop this now. We can't cure it, but we can starve it to death. The big question is where's the right balance between destroying an economy and allowing the virus to penetrate our entire population (causing massive causalities).

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                  Look at all those guys tooting their own horns
                  You mean... ME and the band! ;)

I watched that entire 20min marching band video. I was dancing in my chair I kid you not.

Imagine a Wichita band marching through Old Town on the weekends. I would fund them if I were mayor. Eventually you would have other amateur artists playing all over downtown. It would be such a lovely sight/sound. It doesn't have to be Jazz, it could be another genre. I don't know if Kansans are "down with the blues" if ya know what I mean. My only stipulation would be... NO EFFIN COUNTRY. *ugh*

Comment

If that was me, the bars and restaurants would be serving at their door and patrons would be outside eating. There wouldn't be indoor dining/drinking in this fair city my friend.

But I would turn this town into New Orleans. People could walk all around Old Town with their favorite to go beverage in their hand. I would have cops on horses (just like NOLA) reminding folks to maintain 6ft and to kindly wear their masks if they are in large outdoor groups. There would be bands, children dancing, parents... hold on...

This ^^^ is what it would be like in Wichita if I were mayor.

New Orleans of the Midwest... without the sea level problems.

JAZZ & BLUES FESTIVAL!

BOAT RIDES ON THE MUDDY ARKANSAS!

I WANT A BAND MARCHING DOWN DOUGLAS!

GOD I LOVE NOLA!

*starts crying*

I'm going mad.

Our town is so shitty.
                    The Doo-Dah Mudfest...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• lol, you're so right

Comment

Comment

https://www.kwch.com/2020/07/21/from...-whole-family/

He didn't mention anybody in his family dying yet which is good. Every time I see a story like this I want to shout out from the mountaintops that we're over the worst of it and the therapeutics and treatment plans are winning. I look at the overall U.S. death rate and it doesn't look horrific... but the reality is, we are still increasing our deaths in the new hot spots and there's still a very high probability that there will be hell to pay for all these infections.

Yes, the communist U.S. states are winning the battle against the spread with autocratic governing. China tactics work! The American experiment was a resounding success, but it does not work in times of pandemics. The citizenry are either not responsible enough, do not have sufficient "community spirit", or they are just undisciplined. Either way, you've gotta lock your populace down in times like these if you don't want to suffer even greater economic and health implications. It's no different than when you tell your kids to get inside the house before dark. It's embarrassing to admit, but your average American is not very mature.

Freedom Loving Americans

Wannabe Communist Dictatorships

The American dictatorships have it folks. This is their time to shine. I've been trying to tell you this for months. Bring out the welding tools.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-covid-19-yet/

Such an elegant article in it's explanation of why I've received so much flack in this thread.

I'm fortunately and unfortunately immune to much of the biases described. That makes me exceptionally clear thinking in times of stress, but it also makes me kind of a negative bastard as far as the typical outlook on life is concerned. The reality is: the ultimate outcome for most of us is probably more negative than positive. We're all going to die, and most of us are going to suffer many maladies prior to dying with dreams going unfulfilled and some regrets. But we don't look at that, we pretend like it doesn't exist otherwise most of us would go mad.

I can clearly see our basketball program declining and can admit that to myself and others. I can hope for a resurgence, but I can also face the reality that I see. 99% of the fans on this board are up in arms with even a mention that we likely have quietly exited our golden years. Same with Coronavirus. I look at the numbers at face value. I also understand statistics and exponentiality intimately. Toss in a little mental j'en ai se quoi and my forecasting will be more accurate than most. It's been that way my entire life. It all boils down to extreme rational and logic-based thinking. The trick is to be able to look at life without the rose-colored glasses and still remain a relatively happy person, which I am. Part of my contentment stems from the fact that I'm never surprised on the downside... I already know that end of the spectrum and have faced it. This state of fearlessness from being aware is an asset in business and risk taking applications. It also makes me look and sound like a Death Angel to the 'Fever types.

And there you have it...Cold the Communist.

Also, as bad as it might sound, it needs to be said, if you are 95 and /or have a pre-existing condition, maybe don't attend large gatherings like funerals. Or, if you do, realize that you might get Covid and might die.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                            Look at all those guys tooting their own horns

Comment

The only one I didn't include was Cali, because while they are Communist Wannabees, they are not trending down at the moment.
                              Yeah that is the problem .. the states you chose were cherry picked when there are certainly other states that can be chosen to show the opposite conclusion.

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                              If you are keeping score since the beginning that may not be quite fair. NYC was hit with a Chinese ambush by way of the Italians in January. They really didn't have a chance to avoid their result.
                              Agreed, I think you included it to show a trend, and are saying total deaths don't matter?

But even if you look at the cherry picked states individually and remove New York, the Freedom Lovers are still winning by a large margin:

Florida: 5,207
                              Texas: 4,197
                              Arizona: 2,918

Illinois: 7,517
                              Massachusetts: 8,433

In fact the two Commies sans New York have a higher total than the other three combined.

-- and you DEFINITELY don't want to compare the deaths/1M population:

Florida: 242
                              Texas: 145
                              Arizona: 401

Illinois: 593
                              Massachusetts: 1,224

I just don't see any way that the Commies are beating Freedom other than trend line -- and you don't think Sweden's trend lines are good enough to overcome death rate (even though they got hit at the same time as New York) -- so that can't be your definition of winning.

No, you DON'T have to shut down your entire society to handle this -- you primarily need to lock down nursing homes and inform the populace of exactly what's going on so they can handle it themselves.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Breaking in with something that has nothing to do with the virus. Just thought it was cool.

Now back to your scheduled discussion.

Comment

Working...
                                X