No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only thing I'm sure of is the COVID 19 is worse than the Freshman 15. I feel like I'm snacking every hour.
    Last edited by Kung Wu; April 20, 2020, 10:17 PM.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Switzerland to re-open schools

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...open-gradually

- 3200 people are hospitalized and only 18 are less than 10 years old
      - infected children are not that sick
      - children's viral loads is very low
      - it is adults who infect children. not the other way around

https://www.rts.ch/info/sciences-tec...-covid-19.html

Makes stories like the one below seem so freaking ridiculous:

Young Girl Plays Basketball Alone, City Takes Hoop

https://www.foxnews.com/us/arkansas-...ncing-casualty
      Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; April 20, 2020, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

What do you mean "the" surface? Tennis is played on clay, grass and hard courts. You need to be more specific.

The one constant is, as has already been mentioned . . .

And even the women tennis player shave fuzzy balls.

Comment

• Moved political posts to political thread.

Comment

• So now I'm seeing "probable deaths" being counted in the official totals from places like NYC and Maryland. So no need for confirmation anymore?

This is where I don't trust the "process". If this disease is similar to a lot of others, how can you just count deaths that are "probable"? Seems like a numbers-skewing idea.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• nm - oops, posted in wrong thread.
              Last edited by WstateU; April 21, 2020, 11:45 AM.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• The trend continues:

Swedish test finds 11% already have antibodies.

"The actual figure is believed to be higher."

"Tom Britton, professor of mathematical statistics, says that a third of Stockholmers have already become infected. According to his calculations, the spread is still large, but is slowly declining."

"It is too little for a research report, but too important to sit and hold on, says Jan Albert, and says that further research remains. We will continue to get better and better clarity. We will be looking at more blood donors this week. It would be best to have a large random selection"

Small sample, but kind of echos other recent tests.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/1...r-mot-covid-19

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post
                  The trend continues:

Swedish test finds 11% already have antibodies.

"The actual figure is believed to be higher."

"Tom Britton, professor of mathematical statistics, says that a third of Stockholmers have already become infected. According to his calculations, the spread is still large, but is slowly declining."

"It is too little for a research report, but too important to sit and hold on, says Jan Albert, and says that further research remains. We will continue to get better and better clarity. We will be looking at more blood donors this week. It would be best to have a large random selection"

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/inrikes/1...r-mot-covid-19
                  That is because Sweden doesn’t test unless you are seriously ill. They don’t report anybody with covid unless they are tested. So of course you are going to find there is large population who has antibody but never diagnosed. They made the political decision let covid-19 run it course.

They are starting face some political fallout as death rates have stated to climb (their death rates are 3-4 time higher than countries around them). Now the swedish government is trying to close the proverbial “barn door”.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/co...gstrom-2020-04

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                    They are starting face some political fallout as death rates have stated to climb (their death rates are 3-4 time higher than countries around them). Now the swedish government is trying to close the proverbial “barn door”.
                    Switzerland:
                    Population 8.2 million people.
                    First 10 confirmed cases on 02/28.
                    Lockdown on March 15.
                    Total deaths as of 04/21 = 1,478
                    0.018% of their country's population.

Sweden
                    Population 10.2 million people.
                    No lockdown imposed, only advised.
                    Total deaths as of 04/21 = 1,765
                    0.017% of their country's population.

Comment

That is because Sweden doesn’t test unless you are seriously ill. They don’t report anybody with covid unless they are tested. So of course you are going to find there is large population who has antibody but never diagnosed. They made the political decision let covid-19 run it course.

https://www.project-syndicate.org/co...gstrom-2020-04
                      11% with antibodies, regardless of testing for illness, is still really high as a percentage of the population.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Switzerland:
                        Population 8.2 million people.
                        Lockdown on March 15.
                        Total deaths as of 04/21 = 1,478
                        0.018% of their country's population.

Sweden
                        Population 10.2 million people.
                        Total deaths as of 04/21 = 1,765
                        0.017% of their country's population.
                        Proximity to the outbreaks in Italy probably ought to be taken into account, which is why comparing Sweden to other Scandinavian countries might make more sense.
                        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

11% with antibodies, regardless of testing for illness, is still really high as a percentage of the population.
                          I don’t think you can say it was the “population”. There is some issue with how they sampled.

Comment

I don’t think you can say it was the “population”. There is some issue with how they sampled.
                            What was the issue? Apologies that I didn’t read the article.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Sweden
                              Sweeten parliament on the 16th just gave their government the ability to close down schools and businesses without having to go to parliament. They have not moved yet but they have set the stage.

They also have moved the social distancing number from 500 to 50. Any business that doesn’t heed that will be fined.

They also shut down all visits to retirement homes. This had been left up to local communities prior.

They are also encouraging everybody to work from home as possible and encourage their citizens to act as “adults”.

It not the covid-19 “Wild West”, it more of soft lockdown with their own citizens just taking their own steps.

is what they chose to do right or wrong? Who knows at this point. But it worth watching because we might learn something one way or the other.

However, foreign minister Ann Linde, who spoke alongside Carlson at Friday’s briefing in Stockholm, dismissed the idea that life goes on as normal in Sweden, calling it “a myth.”

“Many people stay at home and have stopped travelling. Many businesses are collapsing. Unemployment is expected to rise dramatically,” Linde said.

“There is no full lockdown of Sweden, but many parts of Swedish society have shut down,” she argued.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                                So now I'm seeing "probable deaths" being counted in the official totals from places like NYC and Maryland. So no need for confirmation anymore?

This is where I don't trust the "process". If this disease is similar to a lot of others, how can you just count deaths that are "probable"? Seems like a numbers-skewing idea.
                                To be fair and consistent, probable flu deaths are also counted in flu death counts in any given year as well. So this is not out of the ordinary and ME's make probable cause of death assumptions for a lot of people.
                                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Working...
                                X