No announcement yet.

Noel Johnson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree that is the most glaring omission, but I don't think he qualifies either, using the strict standards that are used.

Comment

• Well I don't know who is making the standards but I'm pretty damn sure they aint better basketball players than Warren Armstrong or Cheese. Both should have their numbers retired.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse
        Well I don't know who is making the standards but I'm pretty damn sure they aint better basketball players than Warren Armstrong or Cheese. Both should have their numbers retired.
        The standard is being a 1st team All-American. Like it or not in as it relates to specific players, having an objective standard and a high bar is the only way to keep these kind of honors from being completely subjective and in some cases a joke.
        "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• That means we will never have another jersey hanging from the rafters and is very doubtful that we will ever have another first team all american. That is hogwash

Comment

• Yup, too high of standard.
            In the fast lane

Comment

• What standard would you guys set? You can't just go off of emotion. There has to be a definite line somewhere.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• The standard is absolutely correct for retirement of jerseys. Induction into the Shocker Hall of Fame is a different story. There are two tiers of acknowledgement and the top one should be very difficult to attain and will never have many members. I think it is pessimistic to say that it will never happen again, but if it doesn't, I'm okay with that. If we lower the standards it diminishes the worth of the honor for the guys that are already there.

Comment

• Originally posted by McShocker
                  The standard is absolutely correct for retirement of jerseys. Induction into the Shocker Hall of Fame is a different story. There are two tiers of acknowledgement and the top one should be very difficult to attain and will never have many members. I think it is pessimistic to say that it will never happen again, but if it doesn't, I'm okay with that. If we lower the standards it diminishes the worth of the honor for the guys that are already there.
                  :yes:
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22
                    Originally posted by McShocker
                    The standard is absolutely correct for retirement of jerseys. Induction into the Shocker Hall of Fame is a different story. There are two tiers of acknowledgement and the top one should be very difficult to attain and will never have many members. I think it is pessimistic to say that it will never happen again, but if it doesn't, I'm okay with that. If we lower the standards it diminishes the worth of the honor for the guys that are already there.
                    :yes: :yes:
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter
                      Originally posted by SubGod22
                      Originally posted by McShocker
                      :yes: :yes:
                      :yes: :yes: :yes:

Comment

• Just for fun..........who does everybody think should be the next 4 jersey's to be retired, if you could all choose? Or should this get it's own thread?

Comment

• If you mean who do we think is going to be this season's starting PF, I suggest a new thread on the basketball board. There are probably some that will never see the question if left on this thread. It just might be interest in Noel has taken a dip.
                          In the fast lane

Comment

• What do we have-all of about 3 jerseys retired? I doubt if Antoine and Stallworth are going to be slighted or insulted if a long time professional like Armstrong or an awsome four year starter who should have been an All American i.e. Cheese, have their jersey retired. Numbers 4 and 5. Hardly watered down.

Comment

• Littleton, Stallworth, Carr and McDaniel. They earned it by being All Americans as the standard dictates.

Again, if you want to add more, what is your qualification? There has to be a standard that is reached in order to achieve this goal. It can't just be good players who are popular amongst fans. There has to be something solid to go off of. Those who don't achieve All American status are still eligible to be inducted into the Shocker Hall of Fame. And I believe those being discussed are in there.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse
                                What do we have-all of about 3 jerseys retired? I doubt if Antoine and Stallworth are going to be slighted or insulted if a long time professional like Armstrong or an awsome four year starter who should have been an All American i.e. Cheese, have their jersey retired. Numbers 4 and 5. Hardly watered down.
                                No one is saying that adding those two would water down the field, but if you have to abandon the standard to put them in, it removes objectivity from the selection process and opens the door for jersey retirement to be a popularity contest.

If you have a better objective standard, I'd be happy to hear it.

Comment

Working...
                                X